HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm 

I think I have found some stems with removable valves for my newly purchased Vittoria tubs. I've done lots of reading on this forum about sealants and the pro's/con's, I'm not looking for a debate on that. What I am interested in is the consistency of both the standard and extreme versions of the Tufo sealant. Now that I should be able to remove the valve core, can I get the sealant into the tube for flat repair, or is the opening just too small on the small valve adapter base? I'm mostly interested in the extreme for temporary flat fixes.

Here is a link to the valve stems I just bought (and had treefortbikes.com pricematch).
http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... alves.html

They look identical to the Vittoria reds at a fraction of the price.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 pm 

Dkapp,

I have the same issue. I actucally started using Caffelatex. For Vittoria tubulars, you cannot remove the valve core. I am pretty sure as I have try myself. You can unscrew the valve stem, and get a longer stem. Caffelatex allows you to inject the sealant throught the presta valve, not sue if your versio does. If not you have to remove the valve stem get an injector and a small plastic hose that fits around the thread bolt on the tubular to inject. If you have any pics of your ablity to remove the valve core from Vittoria tubulars please show me as I have tried with no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm 

Sorry just re-read your post. You can remove your valve stem. That little tool they provided you with used the closed end slide it till you can go any further (you will be right under the presta core, and twist, it should come off. I wounld recommend this if you were our on a ride and need to do this. I would install the sealant (like the one I mentioned) and if you puncher the tubular just shake the the wheel over the puncture and it will re-seal..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:15 pm 

vboy19 wrote:
Sorry just re-read your post. You can remove your valve stem. That little tool they provided you with used the closed end slide it till you can go any further (you will be right under the presta core, and twist, it should come off. I wounld recommend this if you were our on a ride and need to do this. I would install the sealant (like the one I mentioned) and if you puncher the tubular just shake the the wheel over the puncture and it will re-seal..

From what I've read, the Maxxis valve stems do have a removable core. I'll know for sure next week.

With that in mind, does the Tufo Extreme sealant fit through the small opening in the base of the valve? From the pictures I've seen it looks quite small and the sealant may be too thick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 pm 

That seems like a neat suitable option for the Vittoria tubes, please let us know if these work. (don't know if Vittoria was so 'smart' to make the thread a different pitch)

I understand you don't want to discuss the pros and cons of the different sealants, but I'd like to hear your motivation for choosing the amonia containing Tufo over the synthetic caffélatex for use with the latex innertubes on the Vittoria's?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 pm 

buikpijn wrote:
I understand you don't want to discuss the pros and cons of the different sealants, but I'd like to hear your motivation for choosing the amonia containing Tufo over the synthetic caffélatex for use with the latex innertubes on the Vittoria's?

I dont mind discussing the options at all, just didn't want the thread to turn into a sealant debate.

I've not made up my mind on if/how and what sealant I will use. I have purchased the caffelatex sealant, the expresso foam in a can and the Tufo Extreme. If I pretreat the tires, it will be with caffelatex. If I do not, I will carry espresso or the Tufo Extreme for the repair after puncture method. The reason I am interested in the Tufo is because the expresso foam is good for cuts up to 1mm and Tufo Extreme is rated for 2-3mm. I also read good reports of it actually working where espresso and pitstop are hit and miss.

This is my first set of tubulars and I am just going through my options and looking at pro's and con's of each method. If the Tufo Extreme is too thick, I'll just cross it off the list and save the bottle for another tubular. I'd rather find out here than on the road.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Using a sealant as a non-permanent fix? It should dam well be permanent or it would be useless.

Tufo Extreme is for fixing punctures (and it works fine), whereas the standard is for preventive use which in my book is pretty useless for racing tubulars.

I do find it a bit odd that the Maxxis' extenders come with their own valve core (seems superfluous) but if it screws on the Vitto stub (and it should) then sure, you can pour some Tufo Extreme sealant in there after you removed the core.

@Buikpijn: Vittoria usues the same thread pitch anyone else does. What's the problem with ammonia?
You know, whether organic or synthesized, it's all just plain chemicals anyhow...

Me I just use plain liquid latex bought at a local artshop. It repairs tubs just the same and I also coat the sidewalls of my tubs with it. Only costs about a third of that fancy pancy repackaged stuff...

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:17 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Using a sealant as a non-permanent fix? It should dam well be permanent or it would be useless.

My goal is for the sealant to get me home for a proper repair. There are too many reports of the latex plugs blowing under too high of a pressure.

fdegrove wrote:
I do find it a bit odd that the Maxxis' extenders come with their own valve core (seems superfluous) but if it screws on the Vitto stub (and it should) then sure, you can pour some Tufo Extreme sealant in there after you removed the core.

Why would it be unnecessary for the to have their own core? Vittoria cores are not removable, so this IMO is brilliant. But this is the answer I was looking for, thank you. I just want to make sure the tufo wouldn't clog the stub.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 am 

@fdegrove;

Here in this this thread, the producer of caffélatex states that the only 'approved' sealant on the Dugast tubes is caffélatex, implying this is due to the absence of ammonia.

I read it more than one time (also on this forum), that ammonia isn't all that for latex.

Haven't got a chemical background to back this up though. I can ask a friend of mine though?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 pm 

Just a quick update for those who were interested. The Maxxis valve stems are a direct replacement for the Vittoria brand stems, and the valve cores are removable. I just installed them and pumped the tires up to 120psi to stretch over my wheels and there are no leaks. I will get some plumbers tape before I glue the tires on as many have suggested.

As a bonus, they come in a wide range of colors. For $12/pair you can't go wrong.

**edit-- I almost forgot where I was. Stock Vittoria 42mm Stem was 3g. New Maxxis @ 80mm is 5g w/o the plastic caps**

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
and the valve cores are removable

Exactly. 8)

Quote:
@fdegrove;

Here in this this thread, the producer of caffélatex states that the only 'approved' sealant on the Dugast tubes is caffélatex, implying this is due to the absence of ammonia.

I read it more than one time (also on this forum), that ammonia isn't all that for latex.

Haven't got a chemical background to back this up though. I can ask a friend of mine though?

Ammonia dissolves latex keeping it in a liquid state. After the ammonia evaporates the latex will solidify.
Whether or not Cafe Latex is the only sealant approved by Dugast isn't really relevant although I can see why.
Ammonia isn't exactly a harmless chemical. OTOH, I haven't heard any stories of anyone dying from it. You'll find it in cattle and horse stables, some cheeses as well....

That said, I have not had the chance to try Cafe Latex but had little to no success with another foamy latex which is Vitto Pittstop.

Tufo Extreme always worked fine for me though.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 pm 

dkapp wrote:
Just a quick update for those who were interested. The Maxxis valve stems are a direct replacement for the Vittoria brand stems, and the valve cores are removable.

Also got these today and recommend.

Winter tank
CXC

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 pm