Bar Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joel

by Joel

I use plastic bar tape, slippery and most people find it's unconfortable, but I had cork, because it's so soft and thick. It weighs <40g for the bar and it's from bike ribbon/ambrosio

onyourleft

by onyourleft

allezkmiec wrote: Stella Azzura techno spugna is also quite light, and has a great, cushined feel to it as well, I like it a lot, but I can't buy it around here any more.

I really like the Tecno Spugna too, it's my fave tape right now. I weighed it last week (the thicker "Pave" version was all I could find), and it came to 41.8 grams including plugs. I've used the thinner "Asphalt" version and like it better (not as bulky), but it's harder to find. Another plus is that it cleans up well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i prefer plastic bar tape, as well. shiny look, does not stink as much if you ride without gloves and sweat on the hands, does not soak up that much water if it's raining(bike stays light!!!)and can be cleaned(white cork is damaged after holding the bar with oily fingers).
in cyclocross it's also important that the plastic bar tabe can be dried after washing the bike, cork stays wet.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

If you use a stiff scrubbing brush and Fairy liquid, light coloured cork comes up squeaky clean! Easy.

kAb

by kAb

Does anyone use Stella Azura Alaganza tape? I love the feel of it and it has an advertised weight of 50g. Anyone actually weighed this stuff? I've been too lazy to do so myself when I last installed on my CR1.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Light bar tape.. Is this for real ? :roll:

kAb

by kAb

Yes, it's for real. I don't spend all this money shaving grams here and there on my bike to use heavy bar tape. I don't dremel nokon housing to save 30-60g to have it put right back on by putting on 90g bar tape.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

kAb wrote:Does anyone use Stella Azura Alaganza tape? I love the feel of it and it has an advertised weight of 50g. Anyone actually weighed this stuff? I've been too lazy to do so myself when I last installed on my CR1.

I've used it, and it's pretty cool tape if the striped look works for your paint scheme. Haven't weighed the Eleganza though, just the Tecno Spugna.

I think www.worldcycling.com was selling it, as well as www.coloradocyclist.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I love the feel of it and it has an advertised weight of 50g.

Have you actually weighed it?

This is what I found at the OEM's site:

Material: TNT + Polyurethan
Emboss: Stitched
Length:175cm ; 70g

No idea what SA is charging but from what I've seen all their product is just rebadged stuff from other manufacturers with a substantial mark up.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

fdegrove wrote:No idea what SA is charging but from what I've seen all their product is just rebadged stuff from other manufacturers with a substantial mark up.

The only other tape I'm aware of that's like Eleganza is a brand named "Douglas" which I think Colorado Cyclist sells.

SA's Tecno Spugna is NOT the same as other tapes I've used in the past few years, those being Bontrager, Cinelli cork, Deda, Profile, Salsa Goma, Silva, and Specialized, although there may be other brands I haven't used yet that are the same tape as Spugna. (?) Unlike every other brand, Spugna is available in 5 different thicknesses, which is great for getting the exact feel you want.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

No idea what SA is charging but from what I've seen all their product is just rebadged stuff from other manufacturers with a substantial mark up.
It's the other way round. SA is Bike Ribbon, and makes tape for Cinelli/3T, Colnago, and several others. I've been to the factory, and it is surreal seeing rolls of bartape 3' high and the same in diameter!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It's the other way round. SA is Bike Ribbon,

Ah....
That explains why some of the Bike Ribbon bar tape is the same as SA's.
Still, Bike Ribbon (Silva?) is offering a wider range than SA seems to.
Maybe some exclusivity deals, I wouldn't know.

Just for info: The Kuota tape which I use is the same one Deda is selling (except for the brand embossing, bien entendu) and is one of the best I've ever had.

I've been to the factory, and it is surreal seeing rolls of bartape 3' high and the same in diameter!

Anything else you know they make in house? Just curious.........

Ciao, 8)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Still, Bike Ribbon (Silva?) is offering a wider range than SA seems to.
Maybe some exclusivity deals, I wouldn't know.

The last Silva tape I used was cork like regular Cinelli, but Spugna is EVA foam. Comes in 5 different thicknesses and 10 colors = 50 different flavors. How many more do you need? :?

Ripley451

by Ripley451

betonvet wrote:Nostalgia ahhh I remember those days...

I prefer the days before nostalgia, how I long for those halcyon days to return.

:lol:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Ripley451 wrote:
betonvet wrote:Nostalgia ahhh I remember those days...

I prefer the days before nostalgia, how I long for those halcyon days to return.

:lol:

I feel more like I do now than when I first got here. :? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com