Rain jackets: 7mesh Oro vs. Castelli Idro vs. Gore One

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Since they use the same new Goretex Active Shakedry material I was curious and bought all three to compare. Here's a short comparison:

Gore One GTX: Fit and construction are sloppy compared to the other two. Cuffs are loose and zipper feels cheap among other issues.

Castelli Idro: Pretty well made in terms of construction. Fit is decent with one glaring exception. The shoulders and area around the arm pits are way too tight. I'm 5'11, 160lbs, not a big guy at all. This was with a large. Also tried on the XL and it was too big as expected. Considering this material still only comes in black, I liked that Castelli put some color into the jacket with the red zipper and other laminated red detailing. I'm sure it added a few grams, but worth it imo. The elastic at the hem is a nice design but a bit tight even on my relatively thin body.

7mesh Oro: This one takes it by a mile. The fit is absolutely superb, I can't underscore this enough. Jacket just disappears on your body when you are riding. At the same times there is no wasted material. With the other two you can see some areas where material is bunching up or hanging off you when on the bike. With the 7mesh everything just hugs you without feeling constricting at all. It's really quite something. Construction is also a step ahead. The stitches are tighter, the seam tape is smaller. Everything is just better put together. Minor thing I don't like: zipper is waterproof unlike the other two which also means it's stiffer going up and down.

It was an easy decision to keep the 7mesh and return the other two. About the Gore material that's in all these jackets: I used the 7mesh for the first time over weekend. It was damp but much warmer than I thought, and I was way overdressed underneath. When I got home I was almost completely dry underneath even though the jacket was zipped up the entire time. I could barely feel some dampness in the baselayer. This new Gore material is the real deal in terms of waterproof breathability. Chicago isn't exactly a rainy area, but it is windy. To date this is the most breathable windproof material I've used. Also a shout out for the Arcteryx Phase baselayers, performance and comfort way better than any of the cycling specific ones I've had.

I'm a regular paying customer that's very picky about my gear. No sponsors or comps. I've looked at various pieces from Gore, Castelli, Rapha and 7mesh over the last year. 7mesh is a few steps ahead of everyone else in fit and construction. You can see the detail poured into their stuff, the patterns and section cuts in various sections are quite unique. Castelli is well made but not at the same level, fit is good but not definitely not at the same level and can be hit or miss. I like some of the Polartec materials Rapha uses but the fit is really not great at all imo and construction is also not quite as clean. Gore should stick to producing great materials, apparel is not their strong suit. I still get on best with Pearl Izumi bibs. Generally speaking I think cycling apparel standards have been taken to a new level with 7mesh. Finally cycling has the same quality gear the outdoor sports industry has enjoyed for so long with Arcteryx.

Left 7mesh Oro, Right Castelli Idro, Bottom Gore One
Last edited by vinuneuro on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for from all the review sites. They've each been posting individual reviews of the Idro and GORE but no comparisons yet! Which has made making a purchase difficult since each review raves about the material, but doesn't tend to offer any detail on the benefits of one vs the other.

I was actually leaning towards the Idro but after your post I think it's going to have to be 7mesh, especially since it's Canadian too, the lightest, and less expensive for me. So thanks again for the insight into how they all compare!

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

from a practical standpoint sportful's norain gear is miles ahead of this stuff

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

waltthizzney wrote:from a practical standpoint sportful's norain gear is miles ahead of this stuff

Can you elaborate? In terms of durability of the "waterproofness"?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

vinuneuro wrote:Since they use the same material I was curious and bought all three to compare. Here's a short comparison:

Gore One GTX: Fit and construction are sloppy compared to the other two. Cuffs are loose and zipper feels cheap among other issues.

Castelli Idro: Pretty well made in terms of construction. Fit is decent with one glaring exception. The shoulders and area around the arm pits are way too tight. I'm 5'11, 160lbs, not a big guy at all. This was with a large. Also tried on the XL and it was too big as expected. Considering this material still only comes in black, I liked that Castelli put some color into the jacket with the red zipper and other laminated red detailing. I'm sure it added a few grams, but worth it imo. The elastic at the hem is a nice design but a bit tight even on my relatively thin body.

7mesh Oro: This one takes it by a mile. The fit is absolutely superb, I can't underscore this enough. Jacket just disappears on your body when you are riding. At the same times there is no wasted material. With the other two you can see some areas where material is bunching up or hanging off you when on the bike. With the 7mesh everything just hugs you without feeling constricting at all. It's really quite something. Construction is also a step ahead. The stitches are tighter, the seam tape is smaller. Everything is just better put together. Minor thing I don't like: zipper is waterproof unlike the other two which also means it's stiffer going up and down.

It was an easy decision to keep the 7mesh and return the other two. About the Gore material that's in all these jackets: I used the 7mesh for the first time over weekend. It was damp and I was way overdressed underneath. When I got home I was almost completely dry underneath even though the jacket was zipped up the entire time. I could barely feel some dampness in the baselayer. This new Gore material is the real deal in terms of waterproof breathability. Chicago isn't exactly a rainy area, but it is windy. To date this is the most breathable windproof material I've used. Also a shout out for the Arcteryx Phase baselayers, performance and comfort way better than any of the cycling specific ones I've had.

I'm a regular paying customer that's very picky about my gear. No sponsors or comps. I've looked at various pieces from Gore, Castelli, Rapha and 7mesh over the last year. 7mesh is a few steps ahead of everyone else in fit and construction. You can see the detail poured into their stuff, the patterns and section cuts in various sections are quite unique. Castelli is well made but not at the same level, fit is again good but not at same level and can be hit or miss. I like some of the Polartec materials Rapha uses but the fit is really not great at all imo and construction is also not quite as clean. Gore should stick to producing great materials, apparel is not their strong suit. I still get on best with Pearl Izumi bibs. Generally speaking I think cycling apparel standards have been taken to a new level with 7mesh. Finally cycling has the same quality gear the outdoor sports industry has enjoyed for so long with Arcteryx.

Left 7mesh Oro, Right Castelli Idro, Bottom Gore One

Did you test de Gora ONE GTX 1985 or the Gore One.
As I have read both are the same material, except the 1985 has a different fit?

peted76

by peted76

Good comparison. Although 'fit' is subjective of course.
I have the gore and two things aren't perfect, 1. the zip, the material is 'that good' that you wear it more, ergo the garment needs a two way zip to get into rear pockets (they've changed this on the latest model I believe) 2. the cuffs are too lose - I've had mine altered, but they just need a better chunk of elastic in there to keep them in place.
Still love it though the material really isn't like any other I've tried, far more breathable than has been available before for this kind of garment.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

BdaGhisallo wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:from a practical standpoint sportful's norain gear is miles ahead of this stuff

As far as I know, there isn't any other material like this one for keeping water out. The GORE stuff apparently doesn't wear out, while most others (if not all) need to be retreated once the DWR waterproofing coat wears away.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

bruno2000 wrote:Did you test de Gora ONE GTX 1985 or the Gore One.
As I have read both are the same material, except the 1985 has a different fit?

The 1985 is quite a relaxed fit. Might be ok for touring but even then I'd be weary. The material is extremely thin so if there's any excess it'll flap in the wind.

I haven't used the Sportful NoRain but I am very familiar with the Windstopper membrane it uses. Gore Windstopper while water resistant, isn't waterproof in sustained rain. This may or may not be an issue depending on one's locale. Biggest issue is that Windstopper (any form of it, regardless of face and inner fabric) isn't anywhere as breathable as this new material. In terms of breathability, from my own experience as well as RET figures from Gore, it's: Goretex Active Shakedry > Goretex Active > Windstopper.
2016 Diverge Expert

Stueys

by Stueys

Good review, thanks. Fit is a subjective thing of course but good insight on the various jackets. 7mesh guys are ex-arcteryx, and one thing arcteryx absolutely nailed was fit and functional design.

BigCol

by BigCol

Just to chip in - I bought an Idro last year and have been really chuffed with it - in an XXL it fits me pretty well, and weatherproofing / breathability wise it is awesome!! Recently though I had need to purchase another one, and I have to say I'm really disappointed with the quality of the second one - there are a number of significant changes and it has very much the feel of a 'cost reduced' garment! Some examples:

The old sleeve was sculpted and snug fitting, it didn't let any wind water in!!
old sleeve.jpg

The new sleeves have exposed elastic (see hem picture for the old jacket with nice enclosed elastic), they aren't sculpted and aren't snug - there is a big gap letting the elements in:
loose sleeve fit.jpg

In addition the quality is poor, one one side there is a big step in the cuff where it isn't aligned correctly!!
new right.jpg

new left.jpg

The old hem was really nice, with enclosed elastic material so it couldn't soak up water (like the sleeves)
old hem.jpg

The new hem looks 'cheap' to me, with exposed elastic that can soak up the elements:
new hem.jpg

The pocket hole zip on the old one was quite nice, quality and quite compact:
old zip.jpg

The new one looks much cheaper quality and is massively chunky / heavier compared to the old one
new zip.jpg

There's lots of other minor things - seal material not trimmed neatly or reinforced etc. Example of a poor joint below that already looks to be coming away slightly, none of this on the original!!
poor joint.jpg

As I said - bit disappointed with all these little touches on the replacement one!!!

Col

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

7mesh, they're the best when it comes to fit. Having a jacket that you can't feel on you is incredible. i've been blown away by their stuff every time i hop on a bike.

Cheers.

J

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

BdaGhisallo wrote:

Its simular to Castelli Gabba, stuff actually ridden in the peloton. Full gore tex will always make you overheat, its better to let in a little water in return for breathability. Gabba and No Rain stuff also fits like a jersey. There are tons of reviews of it on the internet.

Stueys

by Stueys

waltthizzney wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Its simular to Castelli Gabba, stuff actually ridden in the peloton. Full gore tex will always make you overheat, its better to let in a little water in return for breathability. Gabba and No Rain stuff also fits like a jersey. There are tons of reviews of it on the internet.

(1) pro's ride what they are told to ride, seeing what the pro's use is an indication of who has a nice marketing budget, nothing more; (2) old three layer goretex I agree, these jackets use a new two layer system that is apparently far more breathable. You'll always trade breathability for waterproof but this seems to be a big step forward

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I thought I was all set for rain gear, but this thread makes me at least want to check out some of this stuff for real, touch it etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

Stueys wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

(1) pro's ride what they are told to ride, seeing what the pro's use is an indication of who has a nice marketing budget, nothing more; (2) old three layer goretex I agree, these jackets use a new two layer system that is apparently far more breathable. You'll always trade breathability for waterproof but this seems to be a big step forward

What he said.