Slickest saddlebag alternative, components and weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Jersey.

If your going to crash, you're going to crash anyway so man up.

I use a waterproof plastic bag that fits my iPhone, ID credit card €50, a tube, C02 and Lezyne head and 2 loose keys and it takes up less space then having a water bottle in the same jersey pocket.

In my other 2 back pockets are my Speedplay cleat covers and sometimes a rolled up pair of arm warmers and my cycling cap.

I rarely ride with water which is why my aero road bike has no cages so sometimes I have a bottle back there as well, yet nothing feels bulky.

Rule #5 man, rule #5.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

carbonLORD wrote:Jersey.

If your going to crash, you're going to crash anyway so man up.

I use a waterproof plastic bag that fits my iPhone, ID credit card €50, a tube, C02 and Lezyne head and 2 loose keys and it takes up less space then having a water bottle in the same jersey pocket.

In my other 2 back pockets are my Speedplay cleat covers and sometimes a rolled up pair of arm warmers and my cycling cap.

I rarely ride with water which is why my aero road bike has no cages so sometimes I have a bottle back there as well, yet nothing feels bulky.

Rule #5 man, rule #5.

get yourself a set of keeponcovers for speedplay. they work always on, even when pedaling.
Happy Trails !!!

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Interesting, thanks. Do you use them? Know if they are soft rubber like the Speedplay version? I have white floors...
carbonLORD.com

trychle

by trychle

I recently made the cheapest and slickest looking bag in my point of view.
All I needed was some cloth, duct tape , glue and a velcro strip.

Will add a picture after my ride.

Ciao :D

jordo99

by jordo99

I made this out of 1oz cuben fiber...it's expensive stuff but very durable for it's weight, which came in at 15g as seen:

As designed, it can also "expand" to fit more and attach to the seatpost/rails instead of only rails.

I've made a seperate thread on this previously if you want more info.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Here is my saddlebag. Not exactly slick, but it does do the trick ;):

Liggero

by Liggero

carbonLORD wrote:Interesting, thanks. Do you use them? Know if they are soft rubber like the Speedplay version? I have white floors...

yes, i use them, they are rubber, but kind of hard. your floor will remain totally white.
Happy Trails !!!

redhed18

by redhed18

In case this helps, hadn't seen this mentioned:

There's some options to get your CO2 cartridges out of your pockets or saddle bags,
this would possibly let you run a smaller saddle bag for "everything else"

Advantage:
puts cartridges lower on frame

Disadvantage:
extra 11g (oooh)
aerodynamics? (pfft)
aesthetics (but if you put black rubber covers on the cartridges or plasti-dip them, they disappear better than shiny ones)

C02hold
http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-90

or integrated in a bottle cage
http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-04

Genuine Innovations cartridge cross,
weighs a little more, but can hold up to FOUR cartridges
http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bicyc ... cross.html

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

After reading this chain, I went and checked out the Speedsleev site.
Marketed as the "lightest"" but no weights posted visibly. :roll: Bit of a fail, if you ask me.
I'll stick with my Arundel Dual.

dumptruk

by dumptruk

For the person that mentioned Keep on Kovers. Every few rides, I shoot my Speedplay cleats with an aerosol dry lube. Other than that, they receive no additional maintenance unless I've walked through mud. I just broke 5400 miles on a single set of cleats, and moved them to a new pair of shoes. With the Keep on Kovers, I'll see some more mileage out of them. The new Z3 covers are slimmer, and the tabs that hold onto the cleat are stronger than the old version. Definitely worth it.

Picked up a Speedsleev when I saw the link in this thread. I use it for my battery primarily, but it can also be used for strapping your emergency kit around a frame tube if you're wearing a skinsuit (though I'd imagine where you strap it on your frame may negate the use of a skinsuit if you're not careful). Also a great thread with tons of good discussions. I found the best way to make a slicker roadside emergency kit was to reduce what I carry. And be ok with calling my SO or a cab if I get stranded somewhere without a part.

In my kit:

Lezyne Hand pump (Medium size)
Lezyne Pen Gauge (I got the medium size pump so it fits inside...they don't fit inside a small one)
*skipped the C02 chuck and cartridge when I got the pen gauge. Sure it's not as fast...but if I got a flat, I'm not breaking any PR's...)
Rolled up tube with an 100mm valve (60mm with 40mm extender)
Fix It Sticks (these things are overpriced for what they are...but they're easier to breakdown and stow than a Park MT-1 which has sharp corners and is honestly an odd fit.
Two GI tire levers (23g over the 40g of my Pedros. Not nearly as robust, but smaller and lighter)
A customized kit made up of a very portable tube of rubber cement, a few patches, and sandpaper
A folded up piece of tyvek in case I need to boot my tire to limp home.

This all goes in a Scicon Elan 210 case. I use the velcro straps to wrap around my frame pump so it's one complete unit. I've considered sewing an elastic strap to the front of the case, and cutting the velcro off because velcro + jersey = bad. Spare tube, emergency supplies, case and pump come in around 350g. I could probably bring that down to about 250g by customizing my case, getting a lightweight emergency tube, getting a smaller hand pump and ditching the pen gauge, and just using stick n seal patches instead of vulcanizing rubber patches, but this kit will keep me on the road. I won't have to turn around and head home early because I don't have proper inflation, or the peel n stick patch stranded me (I've had pinch flats on the seam of a tube...peel and sticks did nothing to hold air, the patch eventually crept over the seam until it started leaking less than a mile from the first flat).

Specialized has some pretty cool "hidden within your bike" tools called SWAT. Things like a combo topcap and chain tool is where I would imagine you'd save the most weight when it comes to an emergency kit. Similar to how Vanilla stores their di2 battery into the ISP of their frames

If you could run a narrow frame pump and or co2 cartridges down the steertube of your fork, I could see that being a great place that offers survivability on the road without sacrificing the sleekness of your bike. Or storing your multitool inside the cutout of your bottom bracket. You ultimately attribute that to the weight of your bike...but most people just look at bike weight as "when I pick it up" and don't consider the other parts you take with you on every ride like your emergency kit, your shoes, or your helmet. I guess that's another discussion for a different thread.

KWalker

by KWalker

My favorite so far is the Ortlieb bag.

I carry:
2 Speci Turbo tubes
1 spare master link
1 spare shift cable
Patch kit
Tire lever
Small multitool w/chain tool
Boot
Co2/inflator sometimes as I normally have a Park frame pump
Der hanger

Have had to use all of these at one time or another. The turbo tubes are light and pack up really small and the bag clamps to the rails and seems waterproof. Love it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HTML

by HTML

After experimenting with a number of tools. Combining them or using bits from others. This is what i now carry.

Bank card/ID
Money
Phone 29.9g - Super slim credit card size. Bought on Aliexpress.
4,5,6mm hex tool with philips screwdriver 14.6g - This is from an SKS 8 Function Microtool.
8mm hex addon 7.7g - This is for pedal spindles. Its attaches to the 6mm hex key
Chain tool 16.9g - This is taken from a Lezyne SV10. I've split 10sp and 11sp chains with it. I use the hex key above as a handle.

TOP TIP! For a spoke key you can use the chain tool if you clamp it against the nipple. Works like a charm. :)

2 x Plastic tyre levers 7.5g each - I cut the end off to save weight
HF FM066 hanger 11.7g I'm thinking of removing the paint.
2 x Cable ties 2.9g
Small bag with Tyre boot + Topeak Patches + 2 KMC quicklinks 10g
Mini pump 45.5g Works with presta and schrader valves.
USB rechargable front light 22.7g - Surprisingly bright for its size and weight. Bought on Aliexpress.
2 x Inner tubes around 120g each. Swapped for 80g tubes depending on wheels.
Cheap glasses bag + rubber band.

Everthing above weighs 120g (excluding the pump,tubes and usb light) and goes into my jersey pocket.

Edit: i also carry this 2.5g Flat screwdriver - removed from a Victorinox tool.

Another noteworthy tool is the Ritchey CPR-9 at 25g It includes 2,3,4,5,6mm hex keys,Flat screwdriver,Torx,Spoke key and Bottle Opener.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by HTML on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

FWIW my tool bottle is a used tennis ball can with a flexy lid.

Marin

by Marin

Conti tube bag, anything bigger would be a no-go for me.

Supersonic tube, modified Conti tire levers, valve extender, Ritchey tool, 2.5 allen key, patches, sandpaper, glue, zip ties, 10€ bill for Haribo or patching sidewalls, rubber gloves. Pump goes in jersey pocket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

@ HTML

Did you like that phone? I bought the same one on Kickstater and did think I could trust it.

In a Scion AERONAUT
one tube
2 old wheelsmith tire levers
Crankbrothers m17 tool or Leyzyne Carbon-10 Tool
Spare master link
Glue less patches

In a Leyzne Caddy Sack in a jersey pocket
old iphone
CPR pocketmask
rubber golves
20 USD in cash
hand wipes