Slickest saddlebag alternative, components and weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naisan

by naisan

most saddles have enough space above the post and between the rails to tuck in everything you (seem) to need in a smaller, but tough ziploc baggie which shouldn't even be visible if you do it right. (Other trick locations include behind the seatpost just above the chainstays, right above the rear brake depending on the bike), and under the stem if it's long enough).

Since you seem to be particular about this: go own your problem by figuring it out, then reporting back a brilliant solution we can all use.

In fact, if you sort this, I'll be the first to buy the brilliant bag you make.

Double points if you can make it aero to boot.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

What's a Jerseybinz?

I use the Lezyne Caddysack. It's a little too big, but the best I've used so far. The sock idea is interesting.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

steventran wrote:I use two different-sized Jersey Bins (http://www.jerseybin.com). I don't have to repack them unless I've had to replace a tube and empty a CO2 cartridge. One contains just a Michelin Airstop tube. The other has 2 generic 12g cartridges, a chuck, 2 Park levers, a Park patch kit, some Park boots, a Park IB-2 multitool, and a SRAM power link. The Jersey Bins lay flat and keep things relatively in order. Still have room for food, keys, phone, wallet, and cleat covers split among the jersey pockets.

They look like highly glorified versions of Ziplocs from the pics ! :shock:

DMF

by DMF

I've started thinking a little triangular bag, in the same material/fashion as a common saddlebag, but made to fit below the bottles in the seattube/downtube junction. From most perspectives it would be hidden by the tubes and crankset.

Thinking it would be easiest to make a cardboard prototype to get tha separate parts template dimensions right and then find someone professional willing/capable to sew up a one off.

I'll get on it, and report back if it works out successfully :)

dummey

by dummey

I am using something similar to the triangle bag idea. Instead of cloth though, I used InstaMorph (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QKLJKQ) to create a bracket that shares mounts with the seat tube bottle cages and extends downwards to create a small box that fits a tube and 2 tire levers.

Just an idea in case you want to pursue a more rigid container.

DMF

by DMF

Absolutely brilliant! Had no idea such a product existed! Have you got pics of your end result?

fletch62

by fletch62

This topic reminded me of a bag from a few years ago.
Mounted above the bottom bracket but may be a bit large for the OP.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55811&hilit=saddle+bag+bottom+bracket

sungod

by sungod

DMF wrote:I've started thinking a little triangular bag, in the same material/fashion as a common saddlebag, but made to fit below the bottles in the seattube/downtube junction. From most perspectives it would be hidden by the tubes and crankset.

Thinking it would be easiest to make a cardboard prototype to get tha separate parts template dimensions right and then find someone professional willing/capable to sew up a one off.

I'll get on it, and report back if it works out successfully :)

fwiw vaude do a triangular bag, a couple of years ago i had it on my commute bike - the velcro made it fast/easy to remove for security - it was ok, but had more padding than seemed necessary...

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/vaude-trian ... duct/22258

too big for a road bike though

DMF

by DMF

Yeah, I know there are plenty of triangle bags to choose from, but I can't find any small enough. Would need to be about 1/5 the size of the Vaude.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I have been rocking Lezyne micro caddies on all of my rides for the past 2 years or so. They are very small compared with most packs and only use your saddle rails to hold so they don't scuff your seatpost or the inside of your shorts at all. And you can get it in white... Anyways, they are the perfect size for my ride pack with 2 levers, 2 superlight tubes (take up less room), a small boot and small patch kit.
http://www.lezyne.com/micro-caddy-s-549

dummey

by dummey

DMF: I will post a picture when I get home tonight.

Colin

by Colin

Sounds like you need a camelback :lol:

DMF

by DMF

Actually the Lezyne Caddy S is about 50% bigger than the Vaude Race Light S, and some 150% heavier - no dice on that one :) :) :)

djconnel

by djconnel

Carrying stuff in a pocket to avoid a saddle bag is dumb.

Colin

by Colin

djconnel wrote:Carrying stuff in a pocket to avoid a saddle bag is dumb.

Why? is that not what pockets are for, carrying stuff? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com