SRAM Ceramic Blackbox BB...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
addicted

by addicted

So I just got one of these, new, and installed on my bike.
Now, I know that spinning the cranks in the workstand doesn't mean a whole lot.
But I found it odd that when spinning the cranks on my newly installed SRAM GXP ceramic BB, they have more resistance than a typical shimano BB.
In fact, the non-ceramic SRAM truvativ BB cups I've used in the past spin with a lot less resistance than this ceramic version.

Do they purposely use tighter seals on the ceramic version??

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's not what you want to find out when you go for the high end BB. Assuming proper installation, hopefully it will free up with some use.

I do want to put in a good word for the SRAM press fit BB that I have just installed. It is absolutely free spinning from the first turn of the pedals. Much superior the the Shimano press fit it replaced. When I first tested the bike it felt super smooth in my feet and I assumed it was the new cranks or just in my head. However on the workstand later without the chain, I could confirm that indeed this was an excellent part.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

timzcat

by timzcat

My experieince with SRAM PF30 is that on initial installation it was not that free spinning but after 50 miles or so it spins nicely with chain off.

I would say give it some miles and it will probably spin well.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Bearings have a break in period. Some wheels take a couple hundred miles to get spinning smoothly and the same can be said for bb bearings. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be good!

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I think in SRAM's tech videos on youtube they tell you to expect a break-in period.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

hopefully you got the new version with the GutterSeals n such. their seals have much less drag than their old ones.

addicted

by addicted

How would I tell if it had the new seals on it? I still have the original box it came in, would there be something specific marked on it?
Thx

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the new ceramic bottom brackets have red cups.
gxp ceramic 2011.jpg

the old ones had polished silver cups that are a bit more square-edged
gxp ceramic 2009.jpg

addicted

by addicted

I gots the old... :(

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

I gots the new... :D
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

addicted wrote:So I just got one of these, new, and installed on my bike.
Now, I know that spinning the cranks in the workstand doesn't mean a whole lot.
But I found it odd that when spinning the cranks on my newly installed SRAM GXP ceramic BB, they have more resistance than a typical shimano BB.
In fact, the non-ceramic SRAM truvativ BB cups I've used in the past spin with a lot less resistance than this ceramic version.

Do they purposely use tighter seals on the ceramic version??

I believe it's the seals on the SRAM GXP BBs. They are tighter to begin with, but break in quickly. Just give it a week or two...then recheck it.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

kentbrockman

by kentbrockman

Never been a fan of ceramic bearings. I've had several fail within 1000 miles where standard steel balls (sounds painful) are still going strong.

by Weenie