HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm 

So is there much of a difference between the 2? I test rode a bike with Rival this past weekend and the bike I have on order has the new Shimano 105 grouppo.

I prefer the shifting style of the SRAM levers over the Shimano. My LBS said they will swap over the shifters, cassette and derailleurs for me at a cost of $100 CDN.

Is that a fair price to pay? or should I just stick with the Shimano 105?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:19 pm 

$100 CDN to switch from 105 to Rival sounds pretty reasonable to me. The shop wouldn't need to swap out nearly as much as you suggest--all they'd need to change are the levers and the rear derailleur. The Shimano cassette and front derailleur are both perfectly compatible with SRAM stuff.

For what it's worth, I switched from Dura-Ace 7800 to Sram Red levers and a Force rear derailleur. I like the way Shimano levers feel, but the Sram levers are substantially lighter, and I've come to like the SRAM feel very much. Furthermore, Rival levers are ~120 grams lighter than Ultegra 6700 levers. I don't have 105 weights handy, but they're probably lighter still than 105 levers. You wouldn't go wrong with Ultegra, but if it were me, I'd go with Rival.

I think the shop's offer is quite reasonably priced, even if it includes only the levers and rear derailleur. They've got to strip the existing levers off the bars, install the new levers (plus new cables and housing) and then re-tape the bars. Considering the cost of both parts and the non-trivial labor, I'd say $100 is a good deal.

Cheers,

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:36 pm 

Thanks Jason for the reply.

My bike hasn't even been built up yet delivered to the shop yet. They just ordered it for me last Friday, so for them to swap the parts now before the build shouldn't cost anything to them.

Thanks for the advice on the front derailleur, I'll ask them what is best to do, I think if I were to switch to SRAM, I'd like to do it all vs. just the necessary parts to get it working.

Thats good to know that the Rival shifters are lighter than the Ultegras, let alone the 105s.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:29 pm 

I'm glad you found my response helpful.

What bike have you ordered? If it's a frame and separate parts, then you're right--there'd be no additional labor to swap out the parts. If it's a "production" model--a Cannondale, Specialized or whatever with a defined component specification--then it reaches your dealer largely pre-assembled, probably including taped bars. In that case, there would be a substantial amount of work to swap out the shifters.

Personally, I'd keep the Shimano cassette over the SRAM equivalent. I'd even keep the Shimano front derailleur; IMHO it works very slightly better than the Rival front derailleur. But if you'd prefer to have SRAM logos on both derailleurs, by all means get them switched--the performance difference is tiny, and you'd never notice the difference.

Cheers,

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm 

fwiw, I just "upgraded" my Ultegra shifters for Rivals. Had to get a Sram rear derailleur. I already used sram cassettes anyways (they're cheaper...) but I love how the bike shifts now. Shimano is good, but I love Sram.

I'd also keep the shimano front derailleur too- they work well together. No point replacing it unless you are superstitious about your parts being the same :)

I raced a season on Sram Red before, and don't see any performance difference between Red and Rival; it's probably more just a weight thing. Whatever you decide, it's a win-win situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:53 pm 

Syngenta wrote:
I raced a season on Sram Red before, and don't see any performance difference between Red and Rival; it's probably more just a weight thing. Whatever you decide, it's a win-win situation.

I have Rival and really like them, however I have had major issues with durability. I have broken two levers within warranty. SRAM were very good with the replacement but it's still something to keep in mind. It's well documented on the web.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:08 pm 

I have been cycling the Rival stuff alot recently and have to agree with youngs_modulus on the first suggested setup. I have found the crank/front derailleur very flexy. Not to mention the chain rings are not very durable at all (even when being considerate to them.)

The selling point for the Shimano groupo is the stiffer crank, tooth profile and smoother front end shifting. The best part of the Sram set is the weight (primarily the shifters.) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm 

Agree that apart from Brifters & RD no real NEED to change anything else from 105 to SRAM;
I run Red Right Brifter, Rival Left, Force RD, Rival FD with DA cassette & chain but TBH its just worked out that way cos I broke stuff - Rival levers I agree are a weak point if you slam gearchanges around like what I do.
However, the obvious point is really which hoods are mofe comfy for your hands, rest is just details

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm 

diarmuidc wrote:
I have Rival and really like them, however I have had major issues with durability. I have broken two levers within warranty. SRAM were very good with the replacement but it's still something to keep in mind. It's well documented on the web.

Did they break from crashes, etc., or just hard shifting? I hadn't thought that was possible from regular use...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 am 

Syngenta wrote:
Did they break from crashes, etc., or just hard shifting? I hadn't thought that was possible from regular use...

Nope it was wear and tear. Not hard shifting. If you roll back the hoods you can see a ratchet. Teeth on that wore way too easily.
All documented here

I have to stress that SRAM were very good about replacing it under warranty but still, I can foresee myself forking out for new shifters when the break out of warranty next year,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am 

I broke a rival paddle by shifting as well..but then again Ive got a really strong right wrist. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:53 pm 

diarmuidc wrote:
Nope it was wear and tear. Not hard shifting. If you roll back the hoods you can see a ratchet. Teeth on that wore way too easily.
All documented here

Ugh- that thread doesn't really inspire confidence. Knowing my luck, it's going to go during a race!

At least I can take comfort in the fact that my bike is 17% more badass looking since installing the Rivals... :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 pm 

I'd keep the Shimano cassette on the bike if possible. I've found they shift better than the lower level sram models. I'm also a fan of Shimano chains. No reason to use a sram chain if the bike already comes with a Shimano. I would change the FD personally, but that's just for looks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm 

Its all done, swapped the shifters, FD and RD to Rival from 105. It feels and looks great!

I kept the cassette (105) and I had a KMC X10SL chain installed. Thanks for all the replies!

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm