seat bolt clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

My bike has an old style seat bolt clamp, its hard to describe. Today i wanted to raise the saddle height and I slackened off the bolot, only now I can tighten it back up becasue when I try to tighten the allen bolt the bolt on the otherside turns aswell can anyone offer any help????

THANKS

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Cant you hold the "other" bolt with a pair pliers or something :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

yeh Ive tried and even with the tightest grip it still seems to be slipping I just wondered whether there was a nack or anything to it.

pk0r

by pk0r

Try to use two allen keys - the 2nd one into the mentioned other side, which works as the nut for the screw (comparable to a brake mounting nut).
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

pk0r wrote:Try to use two allen keys - the 2nd one into the mentioned other side, which works as the nut for the screw (comparable to a brake mounting nut).

It normally takes two allen keys to tighten or loosen this type of seat bolt.

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

I dont think its that type,

imagine a bolt with a nut on the end, its more like that, when im turneding the allen bolt the screw is just rotating with the allen bolt so im unable to get it any tighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

premiumjack wrote:I dont think its that type,

imagine a bolt with a nut on the end, its more like that, when im turneding the allen bolt the screw is just rotating with the allen bolt so im unable to get it any tighter.

are the threads clean? remove them totally from the frame and run the nut through the length of the entire bolt - clean it if it is dirty. I'm assuming the nut is still in good shape and not chewed up from a bad wrench.

There's really no trick for this except for using a wrench to hold the nut while you tighten the bolt.