Cassettes, should I get a new one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slayer33

by Slayer33

So I just got my new road bike, a SuperSix with Rival kit in the team replica colors.

My shop tech told me when I picked up my bike that he recommends me to swap out my 11-25 shimano 105 cassette for a 11-28T cassette to make things easier..

I already have a compact crankset, and I am wondering, since I am a novice rider will a 11-28T cassette really be worth it?

If I were to replace my 11-25T 105 cassette, I would get an Ultegra 11-28T cassette. Is there much of a weight penalty by doing so?
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Skip it for now.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

if you cant get up hills then swap it

em3

by em3

Slayer33 wrote: to make things easier..

Its all relative....what kind of shape are you in? Where do you live and will you be doing a lot of alpine ascents? An 11-25 with a compact crank is already quite a wide range with plenty on the low end, but again, what works for one may not for another. What kind of gearing did you have on your previous range and was that sufficient for your needs? Use a gear calculator to compare your old gearing to your new.
Good luck. EM3

dustbin

by dustbin

I mean this is all relative to your riding style and fitness...
I prefer to spin at least 95rpm on the climbs, even when standing. I can tolerate cadence in the 80's for steep stuff and find my compact with 25t rear to be sufficient until the road gets into the 20-28% and then I would like to have a 27 or possibly 28t (or more if it is really long). If you have the terrain to justify it I would just get the 28t, honestly. I can spin up a 10+% grade on what I have but when you blow up on an 18% climb it's nice to have some bail-out gears... and the weight difference is probably negligible.

FWIW I will probably run a 50/36t crank with an 11-27 or 11-28t cassette on my road race bike next season. I'd rather have too much than not enough when it comes to gearing. Being able to spin at your preferred cadence on climbs in races (and not) is a huge advantage.

VTBike

by VTBike

I wouldn't worry about what makes sense on paper, or what other people might be using.. If you feel like your having trouble getting up climbs with proper cadence -- i.e., if you have more than a couple climbs on your normal ride where your in the 25t, and really pushing it and hurting.. Then by all means do the 11-28.. You need it to make your biking more enjoyable, which will make you a better and stronger rider all on its own accord. You will also be less likely to suffer knee issues, which is always nice.. and really, your legs will be fresher throughout your entire ride. Weight between the two cassettes is a non-issue. Performancebike.com has sweet deals on shimano cassettes.. Ultegra is like $65 or $70.

Now, for the real issue.. If your running compact, and need a 28t rear cog, its obvious your bike fitness has ample room to grow! This is good news, not bad. Focus now on just being as comfortable and happy as you can be when you ride, meaning the 28t cog if necessary. The more you ride, the easier it gets for sure.. even if your relying on that 28t cog. In the off season, and right now, you should be switching it up w/ some cross training, and quad building exercises.

I have been running a standard crank, with a 12-25t in the rear for ever.. Recently, I finally switched to a 12-27t rear, as there are some big climbs in my area, and I was sick of pushing so hard in my 25t cog. Made ALL the difference for me.. Overall, I'm much faster on those rides, as my legs recover much quicker after the couple climbs. I RARELY use the 27t, mostly using the 12-24 range, which works for me. But i'm SO happy that 27t is there when I need it.

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Dude sounds like a salesman.

I think 25t is fine for 90% of riding. If you find yourself in the small ring up front and in the 25t a lot...then you might think of buying a second cassette. I'd buy an Ultegra or SRAM 1050...both work well and light.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

HillRPete

by HillRPete

It's probably worth looking out for an 11-27 or -28 if you're climbing in the 10% and steeper a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com