12g non-threaded CO2 inflators?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Hi, I'm looking for a small CO2 inflator that will fit in a seat bag. The current pump/CO2 one I have now is too large and the frame bracket broke. I'm tired of lugging it in my back. Searching through the forums, the vast majority of the CO2 inflators people recommend are the threaded 16g type. I have approx 3 dozen of the 12g non-threaded ones because they're like $0.50 apiece at walmart in the paintball section. Please don't side-track this thread talking about mini-pumps or threaded inflators.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I have an older Genuine Innovations inflatorr that takes the 12g non-threaded cartridges just fine (like you, I can't bring myself to spend $5+ per 16g threaded cartridge). It seems like most of the inflators that have a detachable lower section fit the 12g cartridges just fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

I have the Genuine Innovations inflator that takes just about every kind of cartridge, but with the unthreaded, they seem to be hit or miss; eith it going on it's third or fourth year... Especially the 12g. I have to stick a penny in the bottom of the cartridge retainer piece to make sure it seats well with the puncture piece on the inflator head. :\ sigh

Tim

by Tim

you may have seen SKS Airchamp pro? it works with both threaded and non-threaded inflators if you're interested.. it's lika e shell but it's pretty compact and have a decent pricetag (20e/30usd)..

see picture:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

After doing a little bit of research, the lightest, smallest, and cheapest non-threaded 12g inflator seems to be the Genuine Innovations Ultraflate 2 at 40g, 117.6mm and $16. Is there any reason why I should not purchase this particular inflator?

Mattastic

by Mattastic

I have the Ultraflate 2 an it has worked well for me. I have no complaints. I think I've been using it for just over a year now. I too purchase my Co2's at the WalMart paintball section.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

kulivontot wrote:After doing a little bit of research, the lightest, smallest, and cheapest non-threaded 12g inflator seems to be the Genuine Innovations Ultraflate 2 at 40g, 117.6mm and $16. Is there any reason why I should not purchase this particular inflator?

Guys,

Go here:

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/index.php?target=categories&category_id=22

There are a lot of options... All of the GI stuff works. I use the MicroChuck but have used almost all of these...

Mike S.

by Mike S.

Thank, Weight Weenies answered my question again!

Ultraflate 2 Bulk

Trigger Control
Part 2411-B

A versatile inflator with an integral locking mechanism and push-to-inflate technology. Features a threaded outlet and fits Schrader and Presta Tire Valves. Accepts 12/16g smooth neck cartridges. Permits use of 3/8-24 standard threaded cartridges without the cup
------------------

PezTech wrote:
Enrique Salem wrote:Does the Ultraflate 2 allow the use of non-threaded 12g cartridges?

Guys,

Go here:

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/index.php?target=categories&category_id=22

There are a lot of options... All of the GI stuff works. I use the MicroChuck but have used almost all of these...

Ritterview

by Ritterview

kulivontot wrote:Hi, I'm looking for a small CO2 inflator that will fit in a seat bag... I have approx 3 dozen of the 12g non-threaded ones because they're like $0.50 apiece at walmart in the paintball section. Please don't side-track this thread talking about mini-pumps or threaded inflators.

Sorry, kul, this is WW, and discussing weight savings is no side-track. The lightest C02 inflator is the Lezyne Speed Drive.

It requires a threaded CO2, which are can be purchased for $1 per here.

Saving 50 cents is no reason to be using a 40 gram inflator when a 5 gram inflator is available. That is 70 grams/$, which has got to be the lowest hanging WW fruit ever. So find some other use for your cache of threaded cartridges, get the Lezyne and a supply of threaded cartridges.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

ultraflate 2 and ultraflate plus work with 12g non-threaded.

ms6073

by ms6073

I tried the Ultraflate and although it does use both threaded and non-threaded, in my experience, the non-threaded paintball cartridges are not 100% compatible and even the Genuine Innovations branded non-threaded cartridges were less than reliable. I have managed to have a string a flats with latex tubes the past 3-months and I was 0-5 with the Ultra-Flate and went back to the Elite. On a related note, when I went to purchase the new inflator, I noted that all the packages had 16g cartridges and since I also prefer 12g, when I inquired why no 12g threaded cartridges, the owner of the shop informed me that Genuine Innovations had disconntinued 12g threaded and I was curious if anyone here could confirm whether this is fact or fiction?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Honestly, I've yet to use this inflator in the year since purchasing it, partly from good luck (no flats) and partly from bad luck(got tagged by a truck in March). I guess the most WW solution would be to eschew an inflator and tube completely. But to be fair, who includes their seat bag in the scale shots anyway? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com