Blackbird Comp Drop Bar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miles3D

by Miles3D

I'm afraid of carbon for my stem or handlebars, and was thinking about the Blackbird Comp Drop Bar. any experiences? I want a stiff bar with the comfort of flat tops. weights not really an issue, as comfort and stiffness take priority here.

Thanks for your experiences.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

I haven't heard of the Blackbird, but I'd have more confidence in the nanotube tech of Easton's CF bars & stems. Supposed to be plenty strong.

http://www.eastonbike.com/TECH_FAQ/tech_cnt.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BHobson

by BHobson

I use a carbon stem, but like you, do not trust carbon fiber bars. Seen too many stories of disasterous breakage. There is just too much leverage on your bars when you really pushing the limit. With the stem though, im confident with CF just because there isnt as much leverage on the stem since its shorter in length and has more volume and material for its dimensions, therefore has less chance of breakage, unless you misuse it of course. I use the FSA Pro wing Aluminum bar which is almost identical to the IRD bar you're referencing. Its a great bar, very stiff and the flats are comfy. So im sure the IRD bar would be just as good as the FSA IMO. I dont think you would be disappointed. Plus they're only $40US!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The rationale, albeit possibly sound seems kinda strange. Carbon stems seem like carbon for the sake of carbon. They're heavier, and from what I've heard usually not as stiff as alloy and they cost 2x as much. At least with carbon bars you get a lighter bars. I've had Easton EC90 bars on my road and MTBs for 3 years and have never had a problem.

anyway, back on topic, i have no familiarity personally with blackbird bars.

Miles3D

by Miles3D

Personally, I snapped a cinelli ram stem on an easy training ride. My bike id 90% carbon, but I'm never use a carbon stem again.

Miles