what hub is this? -> Edco

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Does any one know what hub this is?

Used by Quick Step riders, and I saw other pros riding it as well.

Does anyone have experiences with these kind of hubs? Thx.

Last edited by C a s r a n on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sharkman

by sharkman

Hey Casran,

Makes me think of the cheaper edco hubs (the ones Van Tuyl uses) but not 100% certain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ivan

by Ivan

I remebered some time ago (not really sure how long ago) sapim introduced a couple of MTB hubs that looked quite the same. Black with the V-shape in the centre. From this picture I cannot really tell its a sapim hub or not, just a guess by the looks, so dont quote me on that.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

sharkman wrote:Hey Casran,

Makes me think of the cheaper edco hubs (the ones Van Tuyl uses) but not 100% certain.

Yes, that's it, now I remember the name the mechanic told me! :idea: Thx Sharkman.

Not good? Why are they making wheels with them? A little search learned Sapim owns the production of Edco cycling components (http://www.edco.ch). Gilbert Cattoir made wheels with these hubs for some pro riders, I've seen.
However, although I took this picture in the team car of QuickStep during the Ronde van Vlaanderen, Boonen raced with Record hubs.

Image --> not really WW with 187 gr front and 296 gr rear according to the Edco website

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Ivan wrote:I remebered some time ago (not really sure how long ago) sapim introduced a couple of MTB hubs that looked quite the same. Black with the V-shape in the centre. From this picture I cannot really tell its a sapim hub or not, just a guess by the looks, so dont quote me on that.

You'll be right, since Edco says on his website: "The bicycle part has been taken over in 2001 by Sapim, Belgium." !

Dennis

by Dennis

Maybe some lighter prototype from Edco (Sapim) for the road.

Boonen

by Boonen

I have raced with wheels with EDCO hubs a couple of years ago. They where in a pair of Rigida wheels and had straight spokes that go directly into the hub (the hubs looked a bit like the heliums I had back then). They also had the V-shape in them. I really liked these wheels. They where stiff and the hubs where really smooth. I got the wheels to use in a couple of races and I really liked them. I can't imagine Quickstep using the hubs if they weren't any good.

spookyload

by spookyload

Mavic POS skewer too.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

i have never had edco hubs, but have heard only positive things about their smoothness and durability

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

spookyload

by spookyload

Edco was making hubs for zipp a few years back. Don't know if they still are. They also were making hubs for Spinergy when they released the gen 1 xyclone and xero's

sharkman

by sharkman

Edco produce hubs for loads of wheel manufacturers. Didn't say they wheren't good in fact they are great and besides heavy they are relatively cheap and indestructable (in fact the only good thing in the van Tuyl wheels). Bearings are cheap (SKF) and easy to replace, these hubs are perfect for cross country use.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

sharkman wrote:Edco produce hubs for loads of wheel manufacturers. Didn't say they wheren't good in fact they are great and besides heavy they are relatively cheap and indestructable (in fact the only good thing in the van Tuyl wheels). Bearings are cheap (SKF) and easy to replace, these hubs are perfect for cross country use.

True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Today I rode my last road race for 2005; it was won by Nikolas Maes (Beveren2000-QuickStep)... with Edco hubs. :)

Boonen

by Boonen

C a s r a n wrote:True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):

You know this is Davy Commeyne right :wink:
Just found out a friend of mine used these edco hubs in his cx bike last year (and this year as well) without any problems. If they can surfive a season of powercleaning and next to no maintenace I think they are pretty strong and have good sealed bearings.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Boonen wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):

You know this is Davy Commeyne right :wink:
Just found out a friend of mine used these edco hubs in his cx bike last year (and this year as well) without any problems. If they can surfive a season of powercleaning and next to no maintenace I think they are pretty strong and have good sealed bearings.

Yes I do. 8) I first placed a picture of Mario De Clercq, but then found a better one (from Commeyne) to see the hubs and replaced it.

Next Wednesday first big cyclo cross race of the season (with Sven Nys, Sven Vanthourenhout, Davy Commeyne, my teammate Jan Soetens, Niels Albert, Thomas Frishknecht, Christian Heule, Camiel VDBergh, Mariusz Gil, Jonathan Page, Jens Schwedler...) in my home town Aalter! 8) :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com