silicone tape instead of cork for handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

As I've come to loathe hoods for my shifters (small hands), I like btp hoods, but they don't last long and they're expensive. I tried using electric tape but it came out awful. Enter self-adhesive, silicone tape. I started by working just on the hoods, but ended up wrapping the bars entirely. It was a little sloppy on the hoods at first (sram red), but I'm learning, and the 2nd attempt was much better than the 1st. Not sure if there's a weight savings as bar tape, but it should be lighter than the regular sram hoods or hudz. It also eliminates the need for bar plugs.

anyone else working w/ the stuff for more than the final wrap on cork tape?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

2 inch heat shrink works well for hoods if you cut it just right. I don't have a picture of my hoods but here is a bar end I put 1 inch heat shrink on. That piece weighs less than a gram.

bricky21

by bricky21

Hey, nice idea with the heat shrink wrap. How far up the inside of the bars is it? This may be a nice way to finish off regular bar wrap at both ends even.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

In that picture I think there was about 1/2 inch of extra heat shrink that I pushed into the bar end. The type of heat shrink I'm using in the picture has an adhesive inside it and when it's heated up it activates. You have to cut it off with a razor but it leave no residue. It also comes in a bunch of colors including clear.

bolizous

by bolizous

Where can I get the heat shrink, great idea

voodoojar

by voodoojar

they sell it on Amazon I just looked.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So far two mentions of using silicone tape or heat-shrink on hoods, yet no pictures of this.
Only pictures of the application on somewhere other than hoods. :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Krackor

by Krackor

mdeth1313 wrote:It also eliminates the need for bar plugs.

You should probably still use bar plugs; they aren't just intended to hold your bar tape on. They also blunt and cover up what would otherwise be a dangerously penetrating edge. An unplugged bar end can take a core sample of your leg if you land wrong.

I believe the plugging of bar ends is mandatory under many racing rulebooks for this reason.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I believe the plugging of bar ends is mandatory under many racing rulebooks for this reason.

Yes.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

prendrefeu wrote:So far two mentions of using silicone tape or heat-shrink on hoods, yet no pictures of this.
Only pictures of the application on somewhere other than hoods. :noidea:

Here are pictures of heat shrink used as hoods. I don't have a picture on the scale but it each hood weighs 5 grams and cost about 40 cents.

Camilo

by Camilo

Can you explain exactly how you do it? What size, method, etc.? Looks like a cool modification.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Camilo wrote:Can you explain exactly how you do it? What size, method, etc.? Looks like a cool modification.

I use 2 inch heat shrink. I cut 4 inches of heat shrink and pull it over the shifters. Heat it up with a heat gun while pressing it to make sure it doesn't get wrinkled. Once its on there tight I use a razor to cut off the excess.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Can you comment on how it feels compared to the standard stock hoods?
I know you mentioned that they are thinner, which is better for your hand size, but how is the grip? What about the texture?

I like the weight savings! Great thinking! :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

It feels like tire tube that's about the easiest way to describe it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Camilo

by Camilo

voodoojar wrote:
Camilo wrote:Can you explain exactly how you do it? What size, method, etc.? Looks like a cool modification.

I use 2 inch heat shrink. I cut 4 inches of heat shrink and pull it over the shifters. Heat it up with a heat gun while pressing it to make sure it doesn't get wrinkled. Once its on there tight I use a razor to cut off the excess.

Cool, thanks. It looks like something I would try just to see how it would work! Seems easy, cheap and easily removable too.