spoke question belonging strength

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bergziege

by Bergziege

i want to build up a light custom wheelset.

so i need some light spokes, but i´m quite heavy with my 76 kilograms, so they should be strong

to chose are:

- sapim cx ray
- sapim laser (or are they called race? 2.0 1.5 ...)
- dt aerolite
- dt revolution 2.0 1.5

alloy nipples are sure. my thoughts are about the rear wheel stiffness because i have a very flat tubular-rim (or10). i also thought about using completly dt competition 2.0 1.8 for the back.

are cx ray or aerolite comparable to dt competition 2.0 1.8 ?

what do you think?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

spoke choice will depend alot on the number of spokes and what you want to use the wheel for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bergziege

by Bergziege

front and back are 28 spokes.
rim mavic or10

it will not be my everyday race wheelset, but for hilly races or mountain time trails or stuff like that.

what do you think of revolution 1.8 1.5 radial for the front with amcl micro hub and revolution 2.0 1.5 3-cross for the back?

what would be the stiffness advantage of dt aerolite or cx ray? aero-advantage would be non-sense with 28 spokes and a flat rim...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Bergziege wrote:front and back are 28 spokes.
rim mavic or10

it will not be my everyday race wheelset, but for hilly races or mountain time trails or stuff like that.

what do you think of revolution 1.8 1.5 radial for the front with amcl micro hub and revolution 2.0 1.5 3-cross for the back?

what would be the stiffness advantage of dt aerolite or cx ray? aero-advantage would be non-sense with 28 spokes and a flat rim...

I would probably build the 2.0 Revs radialed on the front and the comps 3x on the rear. The weight difference won't be that extreme, but you will gain something in durability. Of course I'm sure some will disagree.

My thought is if you rode up the mountain, you still have to come back down.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

madcow wrote:
Bergziege wrote:front and back are 28 spokes.
rim mavic or10

I would probably build the 2.0 Revs radialed on the front and the comps 3x on the rear. The weight difference won't be that extreme, but you will gain something in durability. Of course I'm sure some will disagree.

My thought is if you rode up the mountain, you still have to come back down.

I second that.

If you use the 1.8 Dt revs you would need to use spoke washers which will add weight so the overall weight will not be that much different then if you just used 2.0 Dt revs to begin with.

On the rear Dt Super Comps are a really good choice. They are stiffer then Revolutions and lighter then Competitions.

Enforcer

by Enforcer

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

[quote="Enforcer"]Supercomp uses 1.8mm nipples

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseac ... etail&id=5[/quote

Yes, they do use 1.8 nipples but the elbow is 2.0 and that is where you need the extra strength.

Cyco

by Cyco

In buillds like this I often use Comps on the drive side of the rear, and Revs on the non-drive side.

I almolst only use 2.0mm Revs, it is very rare for me to use 1.8s
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Sybarite

by Sybarite

I switched to DT Aerolites for my recent builds. Had some failures with CX Rays in recent batches - a few at the threaded areas, although the elbow failures could be due to the heads not seating very well in the recent Tune hubs (production quality has dropped a bit for Tune as well). Also notice a more gradual transition from flat to round on the DTs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bergziege

by Bergziege

dt super comp sounds good...so i would get a 1233 gram wheelset...

what do you think of revolution 2.0 1.5 radial front
dt super comp drive side and revos 2.0 1.5 non-drive side?

otherwise....i´m surely mobilize all my money to go for sapim cx ray :oops: ...with a little luck i´ll get under 1200 g 8)