Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 am 

Cococlimber,
I am considering the new 303's coming out soon. I have spoken with the distributor and reputible wheel makers who have all said that the newer versions should see inprovements in wheel build in the area of stiffness. I am currently riding Campy Eurus's and have enjoyed all of the benefits of a bulletproof wheel as they have never let me down . I am looking to go to tubbies and the 303 seems like the perfect comprimise of weight , price, aero and all round capabilities. The question is how light a WW do you need to be in order not to get wheel rub and see good reliable peformance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am 

Coloclimber,

I have a pair of 404's that are so far out of balance I have to slow down on steep decents, have you noticed any balance issues with any of the other wheels sets you've reviewed??

My current 404's and in addition, your review of the 303's make me rather reluctant to purchase more ZIPP's

Norty

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:18 pm 

Great info, though it seems a little bit Campy biased.

Are you going to test some Aero wheels as well?

Enve 6.7, Zipp 404/808 FC, LW OM/VR8, Mavic IO, Hed H3, FFWD 5/9 etc?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:05 pm 

Andrewjn wrote:
I am considering the new 303's coming out soon. The question is how light a WW do you need to be in order not to get wheel rub and see good reliable performance

The wider bearing spacing and non-drive side bracing angle changes were made for 2012 303s to improved lateral stiffness. Sounds like a winner and solve my biggest gripe about the wheelset. I am 175 lbs and can get rub on these 303s on any starting sprint or climb. I talked to guys in the 150lbs range that never noticed. Check how tight your chainstay clearance is though- the new rims are even wider.

Bvb45- No more deeper wheel reviews. I didi have a H3 carbon front but only used it for TT's. Never road. Sorry, those deep wheels just are not WW enough for me. Low profile wheels are coming next.

Norty Raskel- Sorry about your 404s descending. I did notice some out of balance issues descending on the Nemesis build but I usually used those wheels for dirt roads where I wouldnt have noticed. The Mavic CCU's pulsed so much in front I didnt get a chane to notice at all. I didnt notice any balance issues with Campagnolo/Fulcrum/Edge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:40 pm 

Andrewjn wrote:
Cococlimber,
I am considering the new 303's coming out soon.
I have spoken with the distributor and reputible wheel makers who have all said that the newer versions should see inprovements in wheel build in the area of stiffness. I am currently riding Campy Eurus's and have enjoyed all of the benefits of a bulletproof wheel as they have never let me down . I am looking to go to tubbies and the 303 seems like the perfect comprimise of weight , price, aero and all round capabilities. The question is how light a WW do you need to be in order not to get wheel rub and see good reliable peformance

For some unknown reason, it seems every year Zipp says the same thing about the new model coming out. Best ever, improved this and that, no more this and that, etc. Yet every year tons of people have all kinds of complains about them despite their large sales worldwide. It may simply be that there are so many of them out that the % of problems and failures are no different or even smaller than other brands with much less sales, but because the total number of sales is much larger the number of problems/failures are more noticeable.

Personally, I've never liked Zipp at all. It just seems I hear nothing but problems from locals that have them (Have never owned a set for the same reasons). Granted, none of them are in the 135 Lb range, but we are not talking about porkie 250 Lb guys either with legs like tree trunks. If it is not one thing it is another: bearing issues, cracked rims, cracks at the spoke entrance, extremely frequent spoke truing, rubbing, etc. I just don't hear that from the people running Reynold wheels and others though. It may simply be coincidence.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 pm 

I also have ZIPP wheels and altough they are not stiff and I think that rear hub should be much better on this expensive wheels, I love them. They are quite old (something like 7 years) and I'm still thinking about getting new pair of ZIPP rims. But this time with some other hubs. I do not like ZIPP hubs. They need too much attention and service for my taste.
My Shimano hubs on training bike need just some water splash after each winter :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:45 pm 

dgasmd wrote:

For some unknown reason,

It's gotta be the dimples :mrgreen:

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:58 am 

Where's is PEZ, I ready like Zipp wheels! Especially the new version, it's much more comfortable. But many people have issues with hub loosening by itself and also stiffness. 70% to 80% of my local tri runs Zipp and uses a lower profile wheel for training. If they use their 1080, 808 or 404 for full-time use, I can imagine spike in. Complaints.

I hope their product improve the quality in 2012 - it will be a winner!

Martin1977 wrote:
I also have ZIPP wheels and altough they are not stiff and I think that rear hub should be much better on this expensive wheels, I love them. They are quite old (something like 7 years) and I'm still thinking about getting new pair of ZIPP rims. But this time with some other hubs. I do not like ZIPP hubs. They need too much attention and service for my taste.
My Shimano hubs on training bike need just some water splash after each winter :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 pm 

So which is more aero the Zipp 404 or the new Mavic Cosmic Carbone 2011?

:noidea:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:09 am 

I have Campagnolo Eurus 2009, two pair: clincher and tubular. I have had 404 tub also and sell them.
Eurus tubular is the best IMHO, I'm want to upgrade to USB bearing. It's stiff, aero, look very nice.
Have many difference beetwen analog wheel with Vittoria corsa evo CX and same Vittoria tyres with Michelin latex tubs.
I have HED stinger 9 & ZIPP 900 Tubies for my TT bike, and ZIPP 188 hub is very very bad and flexy compare to Campy hub maintanance. I have only 10 TT race on the disk (one in the rain) in season and change bearing twice.
I dream on purchase BORA ONE. Whether it is necessary to make it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:35 am 

+1 in the "will never buy Zipp again" crowd - just too mushy. Nor any deep V rim - too heavy. I prefer the "snapness" of lighter rims, so Edge/Enve is all I use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:04 pm 

Campagnolo wheels are so solid and dependable. i've got 3 years and 15K+ miles on a set with no issues. i just wish that campy would move to a wide rim like the HED C2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm 

Just want to echo the thanks above, great reviews!

Will also add to the 'will never buy Zipp's' group. One of the guys I ride with has a set of 404 clinchers and had to send the hub back to the factory for a rebuild, it came back and lasted 400 miles before he destroyed it again. He's not a big guy really, maybe 160lbs, but the rear hub just couldn't cope! He's sold them and gone to Bora's and seems pretty pleased!

Looking forward to the reviews on some of the shallower wheels as I'm needing a new set!

Thanks again,

Campbell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:39 am 

I've got in the ballpark of 7500 mi on a set of 404 FC clinchers. They took a little fine tune truing after about 250mi and they haven't been touched since. They've stayed true, I've had no bearing adjustments at all, and they still feel quite smooth. I've managed to hit the rim lightly a couple of times-just this week I hit a rough patch of broken asphalt, had a piece go off the sidewall/tire with a nice sound and not a scratch. I use blue reynolds pads and they stop well with no noise.

One thing that really annoys me is the wobble as it spins due to the weight imbalance. It's no different to my 808's in that regard.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:39 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 am 

I ride a set of 2012 Zipp 404 with power tap rear hub as my daily wheelset. I find them to be super comfortable and plenty stiff enough for crit racing of a weekend. Mated with 23mm Zipp tires I love these wheels easily as much if not more than my Lightweight Standard III Clinchers...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.658246,152.916836

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next