Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm 

Thanks for taking time to write up your comments & reviews :thumbup:

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 pm 

Thanks guys. I weigh 175 lbs at the moment. I have had some health issues and was up to 190 for a while there last winter. That was scary but I am getting it dialed in and am only 15 lbs from college days Cat 3 fighting weight.

legsrburnin-I have no idea how the 404s would rate against the LWs. You have to wait for the 303 review.
dgasmd - Yes the LWs are the top wheelset but I throw my bike in the middle of the car a lot too and like you said, I got rid of them since I didnt want to catch a spoke on a cup holder or the like. For travel and fondo's I prefer the hyperon clinchers too.
rustychain- I've been through them all and will get to a group review after wheels. Lets just say that we are in the same camp now.

Edge 68s
Good: These are some of the strongest, lightest for their depth wheels out there. With the options in the number of holes, spokes and hubs used, these can be as light as LWs (w/ EL hubs) or as solid as track wheels come. I built mine for the track with 28 spokes and disco ball hubs and these couldnt budge under the most intense efforts. On the short track with steep bankings the light rim weight was excellent for all the micro accelerations and the depth helped them maintain speed over riders on traditional wheels. You get to know a lot about wheels limitations on a short track and the 68s were flawless in this regard.

These rims can do it all. I know one WW who has raced CX for three seasons on 68s and another that routinely wins the steepest hill climbs on his 68s. With the new SMART shaping, these rims will only get better.

Also- best customer service in the business by Edge/Enve.

Bad: Questionable aerodynamics and rim shape. Potential for poor handling in cross winds due to depth and shape. These wheels kind of pissed me off in track pacelines since they carried their momentum a little too well compared to riders on traditional wheels. It took more effort to pull through smoothly and not create a gap. I found myself going up track or sticking my body out to slow me down when I was second or third wheel. But when riding in pacelines with other riders on deep wheels, these helped me keep the speed rolling and stay on longer. I cant comment on the road feel, braking surface and whether the wheels beat me up since these were track duty wheels. I did ride the front 68 outdoors some but not enough to come to any conclusions about the pair. I dont think the 68s would be a good choice if you could only own one wheelset.

Verdict- Versatile burly speed demons. Perfect for the summer on a fast paceline ride that has one short climb at the end.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm 

Thanks for your review.

I agree with you on LW's 100%. I like to ride mine but they are scary on fast descents with cross wind and don't feel all that fast and smooth on flats. I think where they shine is on climbs and sprints and let's not forget they look like 100$ ($5000 I should say)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 pm 

Cheers mate. Great review al la Madcow, which is a big rap. I've owned a few of them and was interested in the CCU's as I've just bought a set, but haven't ridden them yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:56 pm 

I've had LWs D&O originals and Gen2 and ventouxs, edge 38's, zipp 303, zipp 606 on dt hubs. Above all of those I rate my CCUs they are quite frankly the best wheels I have ever owned in fact I reckon they are the perfect road race wheel. This is reinforced by the MP3 program. I don't rate the mavic tubs so highly but they are not the worst I have ever used.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 pm 

Great review Colo-pal. I guess everyone have an opinion. I have had a ton of wheelsets (16 sets currently) including LW obermeyers, 303s & 404s etc... I really like my nimble flys the best for a light weight carbon, to bad you can't get them any more since the fire at the manufacture. Also, I have plenty of carbon sets but most of the time, I perfere AL rim. For me campy Eurus and Neutrons are my day-to-day work horses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 pm 

Colo - looking forward to your review of the Zipp 303's. Any idea when you will post it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Can't say anything about the other wheels but give me anything like a Bora, a Eurus (pre 06) , a Hyperon or the poorer man's Neutron (tub version please) and that's all I need. That and a fine handmade tub.
There's something about Campagnolo wheels that transdescends the competition. Something akin to the sum of the parts etc...?
My only quible with Campa is the freewheel. This should be fully serviceable instead of half serviceable and why not put the same CULT bearings in there as well??

Thanks for the review, well done. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:57 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Can't say anything about the other wheels but give me anything like a Bora, a Eurus (pre 06) , a Hyperon or the poorer man's Neutron (tub version please) and that's all I need. That and a fine handmade tub.
There's something about Campagnolo wheels that transdescends the competition. Something akin to the sum of the parts etc...?
My only quible with Campa is the freewheel. This should be fully serviceable instead of half serviceable and why not put the same CULT bearings in there as well??

Thanks for the review, well done. 8)

Main thing I'd change on Boras is a bit more rear stiffness would be appreciated. Maybe not an issue for the 65kg'ers on here, and by no means noodles, but noticeably less stiff than C50s / CCUs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 pm 

I'm shopping for my first set of high-end wheels, and this review is great. Have you tried the Reynolds 46 wheels? It looks like they improved a lot in 2011, and I'm wondering how they compare to the wheels you mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm 

This is weight weenies, and nobody has commented that they wish the weights of the wheels were listed?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 pm 

The weights are readily available with a quick search. This is more of a ride review.
I need more time on the 303s.
Never tried Reynolds- but dont know what is so improved about the rim shape, rim construction or hubs to make me even consider Reynolds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 pm 

Wish I had some 303's for cross this year. Maybe someone will be selling some soon..... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:18 am 

Great write-up - Look forward to seeing your Dura Ace review. I concur 100% on the Bora's - I now have two set's because I got sick of swapping them between bikes and they are just that good as overall wheels. Still not crazy about dealing with Tubular's - and tend to ride my Hyperion's on "Out in the Boonies" rides. Bora's and Hyperion's are a great Combo IMO.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:18 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 pm 

Nice writeup on some very nice wheels. One note...I've owned two different CCU wheelsets. The first had an out-of-true front wheel that I wouldn't put up with. Pulsing while braking, etc. The second pair has been flawless. A terrific wheelset.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next