XTR derailer on compact crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bruceo

by Bruceo

I have a Ghisalo and need to build my wife a light bike before... Anyway, looking at something simular w/ a compact crank and perhaps a xt derailer and a 11-32 cassette for really big climbs and then would like to run a tighter cassette for flatter rides. Planning on the rest of it being DA otherwise. Would I need to change the derailer out and chain each time? What if I used a long cage DA derailer? She has an extra set of wheels, so I hope to have a climbing set ready to go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

32x34 is a really small gear! A 27x32 is like having a 39x34 so I can't imagine what a 32x34 would be like. This past summer I was over in France for the Tour and we had a few riders on our trip who were not exactly top notch riders. They loved riding, they just were not really in any kind of shape for what the French Alps had in store. Lucky for them, they had 27x34's and though they may have not been the fastest up the climbs, they certainly had more than enough gear.

I'd get the compact cranks and go with 12-27. It'll be more than enough and shift a whole lot better than the 11-32 mountain bike stuff would. You would not need to switch chains every time you switch cassettes, though the chain and cassette want to wear together. If you put a new cassette on a chain that has a lot of miles it will eat up the cassette pretty fast.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

I'm pretty sure you should be OK. With the long cage derailleur you should be able to set the chain length to work fine on both sets of wheels.

I can't see any probs with running the MTB cassette either, but like 2002SaecoReplica said, try and keep the wear rate similar on both sets of wheels, otherwise you will run into probs with old chains vs new chain and shifting quality.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Leroni

by Leroni

once i had build a bike with shimano 105 and a cassette 11-32 ,and i had to change the derailleur in a atb version (pulley hit the 32)
so i think a dura ace triple won't even work.

but if you use the xt derailleur with an other cassete you can ride even with out an other chain.

good luck and post some pictures!

betonvet

by betonvet

I have this very set up on the cross bike I race, except I have a 38 in front which you didn't mention. It has worked fine with all the cassettes I put on it. If you haven't already excluded it, adding the 38 in front will really help keep your rear cluster more managable and allow less chain.