HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Hi,

is there a spoke length calculator that supports both straight pull spokes and internal nipples right of the bath?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1797
Location: Islip, NY
Internal nips are no problem. It's just getting the correct ERD which usually factors this in. For example, the ERD on Enve's website is for internal nipples.

There is no calc for straight pull hubs. If there is a cross pattern, each hub will have a slightly different calulation due to the flange thickness. I was able to use 2.65 for the 2X pattern on the drive side of the Zipp 188 straight pull hubs. That same number will not work for other straight pull hubs. If you are working with radial, there is no difference in the calculation.

-Eric

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:06 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
ergott wrote:
Internal nips are no problem. It's just getting the correct ERD which usually factors this in. For example, the ERD on Enve's website is for internal nipples.

There is no calc for straight pull hubs. If there is a cross pattern, each hub will have a slightly different calulation due to the flange thickness. I was able to use 2.65 for the 2X pattern on the drive side of the Zipp 188 straight pull hubs. That same number will not work for other straight pull hubs. If you are working with radial, there is no difference in the calculation.

-Eric


Thanks. This is for that rear wheel I described in a previous thread. The wheel has been poorly built and needs to be rebuilt. Would it be accurate if I measured the length of the current spokes from the head up to the rim, then add the rim thickness and the nipple height to this measurement to get the spoke length I need?

Otherwise I could do the calculations using the geometry of my Extralite hub... I am not sure which method would be the most accurate? Maybe I should do both and compare the results...

Also should I get slightly shorter spokes to compensate for tension stretching with CX-Ray spokes?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1797
Location: Islip, NY
I would calculate both ways and compare.

Here's another method. If you have the hub you plan on using built up to a rim with a known ERD you can put that ERD into the calc and adjust the spoke crossing until you get the correct spoke length the wheel came with. Then change the ERD to the rim you want to use. That should be the best way.

Enve uses the same Pillar nipples that Reynolds uses. They are a little longer than the usual Pillar nipples that have the nyloc on the end. The other difference is the threads don't start right away. There is a small indent in the nipple before the threads start which makes building a little easier.

-Eric

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
ergott wrote:
I would calculate both ways and compare.

Here's another method. If you have the hub you plan on using built up to a rim with a known ERD you can put that ERD into the calc and adjust the spoke crossing until you get the correct spoke length the wheel came with. Then change the ERD to the rim you want to use. That should be the best way.

Enve uses the same Pillar nipples that Reynolds uses. They are a little longer than the usual Pillar nipples that have the nyloc on the end. The other difference is the threads don't start right away. There is a small indent in the nipple before the threads start which makes building a little easier.

-Eric


Thanks. So are there three different types of Pillar internal nipples then? I see two on this page: http://www.bdopcycling.com/Pillar-Nippl ... ashers.asp

The ones without nyloc have a little indent, but not on the side you are mentioning, right?

P.S. I asked a question regarding the details of length calculation for straight pull spokes and internal nipples on the wheelbuilding thread...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1797
Location: Islip, NY
It's the 9.4mm nipple they show. The indent is on the side that faces the hub.

-Eric

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
ergott wrote:
It's the 9.4mm nipple they show. The indent is on the side that faces the hub.

-Eric


Hmm... So the hexagonal end has to face the hub? If I have had to guess I would have been almost sure the round part had to face the hub so it would not scratch the carbon when tensioning it and also to help it to sit at an angle if necessary? Do you know what is the reasoning behind the design of the outer geometry? Is it to help aligning the box with the nipple? Also, why does Pillar call them 10mm nipples? Is it because it is preferable to use 10mm to calculate the ERD although they are 9.4mm? I guess depending of the number of threads on a nipple it can affect the height to use in the ERD calculation, which can be quite different from the total nipple height, right?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:01 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
ok, so when looking at the actual nipples rather than pictures, it is obvious that the round end should face away from the hub. The edges of the round end are really sharp and it is a no no with a carbon fiber rim...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], sanrensho, theosaurus, Valy, Yahoo [Bot] and 57 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Storck - Full length Internal Housing?

in Road

morrisond

1

405

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 am

jmartpr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Scott Foil Internal Di2 Routing, Internal Battery Questions

in Road

Zigmeister

5

891

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Zigmeister View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Internal Di2 wire fishing

in Road

Teletori

2

506

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Stuartclark1977 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Out of stock - Internal Di2 Batteries

in Road

RexWrecks

8

571

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

carbonLORD View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Internal cable routing Look 695

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

lighty1

15

1458

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 am

Wcl4 View the latest post


It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB