Zipp's creaking? / Bad Bearings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I've been using a set of '05 Zipp 404's for most of this season... only on race days... Yesterday I did a race and the rear wheel started creaking like crazy. If I hold the rim and push the wheel from side to side there's some scary cracking noise coming from the hub. Does this sound like dead bearings? I plan to call Zipp tomorrow but thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone has had a similar experience?

I know one other guy with a front wheel only used for about 150 miles that has developed some creaking too. :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stout_ster101

by stout_ster101

dissassemble it all, clean our very good, lightly grease bearings and spindle, reinstall
At least your bike doesn't get mad at you when you ride another, unlike a girl...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would send it back to zipp. they are the best to assess the situation, and will most likely do it for free. zipp has superb customer service. they took back my zipp crank (old version, not the new one) when it developed problems.

Pat

by Pat

I have had the same problem, disassembled, cleaned, greased. But the problem stayed until by accident I used a different skewer, no noise at all.
The problem was an older Tune AC14 skewer. They have a flat contact area. With other wheels this gives no problems but with my 303's they make a noise as if my fork is broken.
The newer AC14's have a sharper edge wich also solves the problem.