Commuter Build Thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

So, getting a bit tired of commuting on my 595 as I worry about every drop of water and place I leave it. Sounds like it's time for a project!!!! Picked up a frame already...'

It's a Steel Specialized Allez frame from around 2003. The guy before me put a crappy layer of clear coat on it so it's had better days (drips, orange peel and yellowing) so it's off to the blaster and to receive a fresh coat of Metallic white powder coat. The time fork will remain as it's a commuter and I really don't care about the alum steer tube.

I picked up a set of TEKTRO R530 Dual-Pivot Brake Calipers to match the new white scheme. Found an Ultegrea 6600 group on Craigslist for $300 including the following:

-172mm 53/39 Crank
-6600 Shifter
-6600 FD
-6600 RD
-5600 Cassette 11-23
-New Chain
-27.2mm seatpost with Selle Flite Ti rails
-Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels with Maxxis 700x23c tires and
-Ritchey WCS 120mm Stem and classic drop 42cm handlebar

Not bad for a total investment of under $500 as it stands (almost a complete bike). I will be going with a white/green scheme as I want something different so I picked up an FSA Orbit MX 1 1/8 Threadless Green headset and Some green Fizik Microtex. Will also be doing green cables (probably Jagwire) and seatpost clamp.

I will update the pics after it's been powder coated and some parts installed as I have yet to put anything together; currently a bit short on time.

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

Total Cost:

Frame: $123
Powder Coat (picking it up today!): $100
Group, Including saddle, post, wheels and tires: $300
Headset: $33.85

Yesterday:
Picked up my Ultegra Cableset: $25
Green Anodized Seatpost Clamp: $5.73
Ultegra 6600 FD Braze-On: $35
Tektro White Brakes: $41.75

Total Cost: $664.33 for a basically brand new bike built my way. Never done that before but I'm anxious to see how steel rides compared to carbon. I will upload pictures once I build it!

Weight will be disclosed as well, although I don't see it being under 18.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

Can't wait to see this, should be awesome.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I converted my All City Nature Boy Single Speed cross bike into a commuter this year.

Nexus 7 internal gear hub, full fenders, 100% non-weightweenie (weighs 28lbs). Oh wait, I take that back, it is 99% non-weight weenie, it has a carbon crank.

Cornel

by Cornel

This might be a really stupid question, but why are you worried about every drop of water on your 595?

Now, I try to keep my precious 11 speed cassette out of the rain as well, but I was just thinking about being swapping my old TCR aluminium frame on my rain/commuting bike for a TCR Advanced frame that's on sale. Surely, rain doesn't matter as far as a carbon frame goes, does it?

nitropowered

by nitropowered

A commuter bike you can lock up outside, put full fenders on (waaaay better than any half fender) and simply not worry about it.

ergott

by ergott

That's how I roll. It's a long commute and I get thirsty;-)

Seriously, it's 12.5 miles in the warm and 8 in the cold. Once in a while I bring a fresh water bottle to replenish the cooler in my office.

The bike is killer. Keeps me relatively dry and full fenders do wonders for keeping road crap off you and the bike. No more nasty downtubes and bbs to clean. The drivetrain is cleaner without the spray from the front wheel as well.

-Eric

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Cornel wrote:This might be a really stupid question, but why are you worried about every drop of water on your 595?

Now, I try to keep my precious 11 speed cassette out of the rain as well, but I was just thinking about being swapping my old TCR aluminium frame on my rain/commuting bike for a TCR Advanced frame that's on sale. Surely, rain doesn't matter as far as a carbon frame goes, does it?

The frame wont rust but most of the bolts will (unless you have replaced them with stainless or ti), and you would have to service the hubs, bottom bracket, pedal spindles, head set, brake pads, rims, brake pivots, shifters some what regularly.

Now to make a totally somewhat water proof bike I would replace all the bolts with either stainless, titanium, or aluminum. No part is make of steel. I would then seal up all the places that water might make its way in with silicone even the spoke holes. I'm talking about a thin layer of clear silicone.
To do this right you would have to take apart the entire bike piece by piece and put it together with silicone.
All the lube points would have heavy duty waterproof bearing grease.

Then run it for a year and see how well you make out.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Doolop

by Doolop

ergott wrote:That's how I roll. It's a long commute and I get thirsty;-)

I dig those soma smoothies. I dont dig the lack of a chainring up front.

ergott

by ergott

Doolop wrote:
ergott wrote:That's how I roll. It's a long commute and I get thirsty;-)

I dig those soma smoothies. I dont dig the lack of a chainring up front.

My terrain is flat as a pancake. I have to traverse one overpass on my commute. The 42 is perfect in conjunction with the 11-28 in the back for me.
:beerchug:

-Eric

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

Nice looking Soma! To address a few questions, I'm not so much worried about water on my 595 as I am about locking up a carbon bike and leaving it. In fact, i think I would rather have someone just steal it than have to see the aftermath of a frustrated thief attempting to break it free from a lock. :shock:

I got my frame back from PC last week (Looks AWESOME, a subtle metallic clear over a white base) and have it 80% assembled. I am still waiting on my green anodized seat-post clamp and have not cabled/taped the bars yet. It's starting to look like a bike though!

Hopefully this will be the weekend I get to complete it as I will be digging into my truck to replace the governor pressure sensor (transducer), pressure solenoid, filter, deep aluminum trans pan and fluid in my trans (48re transmission if anyone else has a ram 2500), servicing my front and rear differentials, transfer case, and throwing on new fender flares.

Either way, I'll be posting pictures of the nearly or complete product early next week! Until next time, stay tuned... :thumbup:

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

Well, I managed to make time to finish her up. The guy who had the group before crashed it and wrecked both plastic caps on the shifters so they got his with some filler primer, sander, self-etching primer, black base and clear. They now look better than new and cant even tell they hit the ground. I have yet to weight her but her we go:

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

picture links fixed

tanghy

by tanghy

nice job :D

OCVeloMan

by OCVeloMan

Thanks! Been riding her for about a week now and need a shorter stem to say the least... Overall, wow, thing rides like a Cadillac but definitely doesn't have the power transfer of my look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com