2010 TRP 970 SL Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Check out my new TRP 970 SL brakes. I will be sporting these babies for the 2010 season! While quite painful to remove Craig Edward's work of art EE brakes (sniff...), the new 970 SL are clearly TRP's best offering to date.

I also want to note, that while I'm a big fan of WW stuff, I'm not a fan of a lot of WW products on my own personal ride as I tend to break stuff :noidea: ... However, I've always been a fan of WW brakes... and have watched them evolve over the years.

First starting with Ciamillo's Zero Gravity ti calipers. For quite some time ZGs were the end all be all with huge weight savings, but since then this niche market has become quite competitive. Reflective of that, others have emerged from small boutique outfits like Ti2 Racing, AX-Lightness, and EE cycleworks, and larger company offerings like Bontrager and TRP. Though not all have succeeded. Some have the weight savings, but at a performance penalty. Others had the performance, but not the weight savings. Some look cool and are just way too expensive. EE's have amazing performance, peroid... but the looks are polarizing (personally I find them unique works of art).

I've tried them all, owned some, but given the factors of weight savings, performance, price and aesthetics, the 970 SLs are a great mix. That being said, I think the retail price ($600) is reasonable, though some might find it hard to swallow... but also realize they are complex to produce. You'll be pretty hard pressed to tell a "feel" difference from the performance benchmarks: Dura Ace 7800 and 7900... and you're still saving considerable weight.

The 970 SLs are essentially an evolution of the 960s, which are an evolution of the Ti2 Racing brake. I actually did a review and comparison of these back in the fall of 2006. While trying to walk carefully on this particular point... I want to give credit to Ti2 Racing, as in my opinion, this is where the design originated. All water under the bridge… Bottom line, the outstanding performance I found in the Ti2 Racing brakes I was fortunate enough to ride for a few months is still in-tact with the 970 SLs. I will post some comparison shots in the near future.

Some techical points:

Construction -- these babies are cold forged from Magneisium, and then finished on the CNC for the fine shaping and cut-outs.

Wider Range of Spread -- Here is one point where other offerings have had a problem. The 970 SLs are designed to accomodate contemporary wider rim designs, such as the HED Ardenes and the latest Zipp 303 wheels, 23.5 and 24mm respectively.

Actuation Geometry -- The 970 SLs are right in-between Campy standard and new 7900, so no need for swap-out parts. They will work with any lever.

I've only been able to ride them a couple times outdoors, and once the cold snap is over (and I'm nursing a knee injury right now), I will come back with more detailed ride impressions. I will also post some pics on the scale.

Last edited by Rich_W on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doolop

by Doolop

Ooooo Xenith SL? how are you liking that? I really dig them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Doolop wrote:Ooooo Xenith SL? how are you liking that? I really dig them.

It rocks... there is a thread on my bike

Want to keep this on-topic :beerchug:

synchronicity

by synchronicity

When you say they are inbetween campy and 7900 standard... can you elaborate a bit further?

For example, I currently have FSA K Force brakes and find them excellent in both power and modulation (used with 2009 campy levers). If I were get a set of TRP900s, would the power in fact go down or up? :?

Because I'm using compressionless housing, I'm basically looking for the highest leverage ratio between lever & brake calipers... what combination would that be?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ummm.... You missed the most important part on your excellent post:

How. Much. Do. They. Weigh ??? :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Ya, come on little man, how much do they weigh?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

redhed18

by redhed18

Surprised they are out so soon!
I love these brakes, particularly the white ones they showed with the red adjuster and red brake shoes.

Unfortunately more recent pics seem to indicate they won't be selling this incarnation?
(although I'm sure one could alter it to suit regardless...)

The black isn't as eye-grabbing by itself, but it's a really really nice looking brake - congrats! :)
(and it matches your frame very well, good choice!)

What's it weigh??? ;)

Rich_W

by Rich_W

pritchet74 wrote:Ya, come on little man, how much do they weigh?

Rough crowd!

I forgot my other laptop today (Yes, I'm a dumbass)... I have pics on the scale... I want to say 228g for the pair complete with pads, back nuts and washers. I know their target weight was less, however I understand they beefed them up a bit more and they gained a couple of grams... but also gained a benefit of more spread.

but do not quote me... I will get a pic up there when I get home tonight.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Excellent initial review and introduction.

I cant imagine the cost in forging magnesium and then CNC'ing it out.

Is there a quick release lever to open them up?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So are those white pegs in the wall specifically designed to keep hold onto the bike by the handlebars? Or was that just a point of convenience and they're actually used for something else?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

prendrefeu wrote:So are those white pegs in the wall specifically designed to keep hold onto the bike by the handlebars? Or was that just a point of convenience and they're actually used for something else?

Huh? Those are the knobs on the cabinet doors on my workbench... my bike happens to be leaning up against... :unbelievable:

Rich_W

by Rich_W

coloclimber wrote:Excellent initial review and introduction.

I cant imagine the cost in forging magnesium and then CNC'ing it out.

Is there a quick release lever to open them up?

Great question Nathan and Thanks -- yes, there is a quick release mechanism. If you notice the neck the barrel adjust sits atop of... it has a slot in it. You hold the pads together, lift the barrel adjuster and move it inward. Pretty nifty... same as on the 960 brake, but the plastic doohickey that locks the barrel in place has ben done away with.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Now I see the groove. So it requires both hands to squeeze the pads in- ie. cant loosen the quick release while your riding?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Bikey

by Bikey

The KCNC CB-1 brakes are 60 grams lighter and 1/2 the price. What am I missing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bikey wrote:The KCNC CB-1 brakes are 60 grams lighter and 1/2 the price. What am I missing?

No comparison. Um, they flex and shudder, and you can't even put the performance in the same class as these. While that is very subjective response. I did ride some KCNCs last season on a friend's bike and was not impressed.