How does the scmolke top cap work?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SF/MT.GOAT

by SF/MT.GOAT

hi, my top cap's screw is almost stripped and i fear that it will be stripped if anymore fudging is done to the headset.

soo, How exactly does the schmolke top cap work? i can't understand it from reading alone.

and those of you who own and use one, how has it held up? and how do you like it? is the fork wobbly at all?

thanks!

joe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

It only plugs the hole. You have to set adjustment with a normal cap first, then replace it with the Schmolke.

Knut

by Knut

As Divve correctly states you first have to set the preload with your normal expanderplug and topcap then tighten your stem/steerer bolts lightly and remove the normal expanderplug and topcap. You then insert the Schmolke plug to close the hole and supposedly stabilize the carbon steerer from the inside.

Pro's: Light and looks good.
Con's: No headset adjustment on the road, expensive and you'll have to put up with Schmolke's version of "costumer service".

Anyway, the product is OK, I use it on my Principia - but make sure you order the right size or it will rattle. Also make sure you have lots of time for waiting for your order. :wink:

marcuss

by marcuss

On my Look HSC2 1" fork I just inserted an old handle bar plug after tightening the head set with the expander. Weight is next to nothing and looks OK exept it has a colnago logo (i ride a cannondale). Not Schmolke cool, but quick and easy. Probably wouldn´t work on 1 1/8" forks though.

willy

by willy

easton forks are also coming with an easton cap that works under the same indications, it came with my bmc...however, i just didn't like it that mucho and sacrificed a little weight opting for a regular system