Fizik's new Kurve saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bricky21

by bricky21

jonm wrote:I've just got the Aliante Kurve to test so will report back after some decent miles...

First impression in terms of looks and quality are very good indeed.

Is it a demo model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The new Kurve saddles don't seem all that different to the older San Marco Due saddles... :roll:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

True, except for the part where they're not really alike at all...

No similarity in shell construction.

No similarity in rail attachment or location.

About the only thing similar from a design standpoint is that they're both fairly traditional saddle shapes.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Similar in theory though?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You're right.

Fizik just executed what San Marco wanted to do back then. They tried pushing the mount points out, but Fiz made it work by taking the rail mounts pretty much off the sitting platform.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I rode their 'Bull' Kurve saddle today - it's currently on my bike. Really liked it, instantly one of the most comfortable saddles I've tried, and I've really struggled with saddles lately.

I need more time on it to be sure, but so far so good.

FreaK

by FreaK

here's a slightly differing perspective.

I've been riding a traditional Arione for a long while, i was happy to pick it up after a pleasant experience on a demo Colnago. But as i put more and more miles in i thought i wanted something a little flatter and a little more firm. Well if Fizik got it so close with Arione for me i figured the Antares was their version of what i wanted, that little adjustment that would get it dialed. So we got a set of the demo saddles at the shop, the bright orange ones, and i tried the Antares, for the first 20-30 minutes i was loving it, very supportive, and i felt stronger, but gradually i started to lose a bit of feeling, and maybe half an hour later it turned into legit numbness. So i rode the saddle for IIRC about a week or so after for the commute to work, verdict for the commute= not bad, for long rides=no go. So i stuck it out until i built up my new bike (which i'll post to the introduce yourself gallery once i've a decent couple shots of it) and found a used SLR around the shop. This for me seemed to split the difference for me, some shell flex, but not too much, some padding and a flatter overal shape. I'm still riding it.
So i go to the interbike demo and talk to the guys at the Highway 2 tent about my experiences, including the above mentioned hard edges of the Antares. So first i tried the Kurve version of the Arione - far to narrow and rounded in the front it dug into my member and wasn't really conducive to an aero tuck. The Antares Kurve, i think that's the Chameleon, not too sure, in any case, i found i had the same issue as the original Antares, but exacerbated by the differences in compliance so the materials that make up the saddle. I came back after my demo ride, sore and very dissapointed because i wanted to like it, and my logic supported the idea that this would be the solution for me.
Surprise of the whole story is that i found one made by Velo that is going to go on my bike once i can find it in stock somewhere. Carbon rails relatively flat, with some contour. Pity i can't remember the model name, but for those of you looking at the Raleigh bikes for next year, it'll be coming on the Militis.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

giant man

by giant man

So why didn't you try the Aliante version of the Curve, the bull? This is the one I will be looking at, after so many years on an Aliante, and as you, always numb down there, hoping the Curve will be the one(!)

fletch62

by fletch62

The Raleigh bikes have a 'Avenir Carbon w/Carbon Rails' saddle.
http://www.avenirusa.com/parts-and-accessories/saddles/#road

keunes

by keunes

Really like the idea of this new saddle range... But will this peas of technology take the blisters and sore ass away?

I have mounted on all my currect bikes the arione saddle, in al those years on the bike I still sometimes have a sore ass and blisters... is this normal? What's the definition of saddle pain, what's normal and what's not?? Tell me your experiences, cause imo a little bit of saddlepain is normal... :mrgreen:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If you guys are somewhere in between the fit of the Aliante and the Antares and want something with a firmer construction compared to the Aliante, I think the Prologo Scratch Nack would be underrated in that case. (Note: Not the Scratch 'Pro' series)

FreaK

by FreaK

giant man wrote:So why didn't you try the Aliante version of the Curve, the bull? This is the one I will be looking at, after so many years on an Aliante, and as you, always numb down there, hoping the Curve will be the one(!)

because the Aliante doesn't work for me at all. the Arione does and the Antares almost does.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

ricerocket

by ricerocket

keunes wrote:Really like the idea of this new saddle range... But will this peas of technology take the blisters and sore ass away?

I have mounted on all my currect bikes the arione saddle, in al those years on the bike I still sometimes have a sore ass and blisters... is this normal? What's the definition of saddle pain, what's normal and what's not?? Tell me your experiences, cause imo a little bit of saddlepain is normal... :mrgreen:

I get maybe some dull pain on rides upwards of 100km. No open sores or blisters though, maybe you need to take hygiene a little more seriously? ;) Do you use a chamois cream?

keunes

by keunes

ricerocket wrote:I get maybe some dull pain on rides upwards of 100km. No open sores or blisters though, maybe you need to take hygiene a little more seriously? ;) Do you use a chamois cream?

No, not like open sores... No hygiene problems :lol: More the saddle and the shorts that pinch the skin that your sitting on.. I don't know how to call that in English, but afterwards you'll get a swelling which is pretty painfull... Ive I train like, 3 teams a week, and spend the rest of the week riding to work with my jeans on, i'll get these problems... Is that normal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Oh you Dutch people are crazy. A friend of mine is Dutch, he rides like a billion km per year.

If you ride to work in jeans, perhaps you need a different saddle for your commute? Something that's a little more padded?