Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

sungod wrote:
also, i think using other pads invalidates the warranty, plus braking performance/pad wear might not be as good

In a recent Tour magazine wheel test they had this to say - "With the special brake pads Mavic recommends, a very soft Swissstop mixture, braking force with Exalith remained well below that of a normal aluminum rim" ... "When we switched to a harder standard brake pads (Shimano and SRAM) things began to look up.".

I sounds like I might be on the right track with wanting to use the standard Swissstop black pads! Maybe Mavic only chose the soft green pads to extend the life of the rim's coating, not for braking performance or pad longevity!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VNTech

by VNTech

That Tour review makes no sense. The Mavic pads are harder than a normal SRAM or Shimano pad — we had a pair in not too long ago and the difference was noticeable with just a finger nail.

I put on a pair of Shimano pads and they wore very quickly, even though the "edges" of the brake surface had already been rounded over a few hundred km with the Mavic pads. The Mavic pads wore much more slowly.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

RedRacer

by RedRacer

VNTech wrote:That Tour review makes no sense. The Mavic pads are harder than a normal SRAM or Shimano pad — we had a pair in not too long ago and the difference was noticeable with just a finger nail.

When you say "Mavic pads" are you referring to the Swisstop green pads?

sungod

by sungod

RedRacer wrote:
VNTech wrote:That Tour review makes no sense. The Mavic pads are harder than a normal SRAM or Shimano pad — we had a pair in not too long ago and the difference was noticeable with just a finger nail.

When you say "Mavic pads" are you referring to the Swisstop green pads?

the pads for exalith are sold under the mavic brand, not swissstop, they have the mavic logo on them and the words "by swissstop"

so they are made by swissstop, reportedly using the same compound as ghp ii, but the shape is different

braking performance on exalith is *far* better than for swisstop black on plain alloy rims, i know because i use both, there's smoother modulation and they're much more reliable/consistent in the wet

they look like this...

mp.jpg

VNTech

by VNTech

What he said ^
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

Goodmorning to everybody from Athens..
I am a happy owner of Μavic Ksyrium SLR's wheelset.
My problem is the sound made by the brakes even though i've done 2000km.
Indicate that the brakes are DA7900.
Also another problem is the green colour that stays on the surface of the crown of the pads.. how can you clean it?
I've tried with soap but nothing..

Thanks.

SL58

by SL58

Acetone.

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

SL58 wrote:Acetone.

sure you will not damage the colour??

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

hyperexcitability wrote:
SL58 wrote:Acetone.

sure you will not damage the colour??

some other idea?

upside

by upside

I use just soap and water and it cleans up quite well. I liked these wheels so much that I may get 1 more pair :podium: :podium: :podium: :podium:

sungod

by sungod

hyperexcitability wrote:Goodmorning to everybody from Athens..
I am a happy owner of Μavic Ksyrium SLR's wheelset.
My problem is the sound made by the brakes even though i've done 2000km.
Indicate that the brakes are DA7900.
Also another problem is the green colour that stays on the surface of the crown of the pads.. how can you clean it?
I've tried with soap but nothing..

Thanks.

did you see the comment earlier in this thread about da7900 brake noise and suggestion on how to fix it?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88303#p765603

but they will *always* make a some noise when braking because the surface is milled

afaik the pad residue on the braking track is a good thing, if you keep cleaning it off surely you will simply increase wear, maybe MavicZack can comment on this one?

monty dog

by monty dog

I met one of the owners the company Keronite who apply Exalith - it is a plasma-electrolytic oxidisation process and works at a molecular level. Using a solvent such as acetone would have no bearing on the material composition.
Just ride

jari8289

by jari8289

hi everybody,

i just bought the new Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheels with Exalith breaking surface...
I just want to know whether it is possible to use the Exalith break pads on regular alloy rims??? I ride a lot on the flemish cobble stones and there i prefer alloy-rims instead of carbon...

thanks!!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You can, but the pads are harder and simply dont grab as good as most pads...

VNTech wrote:What he said ^

What he said about him saying what he said...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

i want to change bearings on Ksyrium slr 2012, with ceramic..
where can find compatible?