Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Elrey

by Elrey

clxcolnago wrote:I have the SLE cosmic carbone and i swear by them
I rode carbon clinchers before and no matter how good the pads are, nothing else beats exalith..
The noise is something we should get used to for a while.
I wish mavic stay and produce these kind of rim for a long time. They are tough and good for uneven roads.
One more plus point for mavic is they are good for 11spd shimanos with just removing the spacer..if you own zipp..it will piss u off cause u need a new wheel or redishing..

Please mavic engineers develop better more long lasting exalith surface..and cheaper wheelsets as well.

^you must be from another planet...

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

Try first, if u dont like em just sell it thru ebay or the sale forum here...no harm trying right..

Right now in my country everyone is selling their zipp wheelsets cause its not 11 spd compatible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

Btw im not saying zipp sucks.
I think they shud have a long talk with shimano. A loooooonnnngggggggggg talkkkkkk

U know what, easton, corima, and every other wheelset companies shud also have a loooonnngggggg talk as well with shimano

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Is it possible the braking on the exalith rim gets worse after 1 year of use?
I have a pair of Cosmic Carbon SLR wheels.
The rims look normal. Ok it's used but they no damage at all at the braletracks.
On my newly bought R-Sys slr set braking is more powerful.
Can you clean the braketrack with something to make it better?

User Name

by User Name

I'm not reading the whole thread; :D does the black stuff wear off?

sungod

by sungod

braking - once run in, the braking gets a bit smoother, i think the coating/pads changed a bit on new ones so maybe there's stronger braking, but braking force is still excellent on mine after over two years, if the performance is poor check the pads/rims aren't contaminated, wipe clean with alchohol/etc.

wear - some people have reported rapid wear, i ride all weathers, there's a scratch on one rim where something hard must've got stuck in the brake pad, aside from that they're still black, but everything wears, one day they'll be down to the metal

fade

by fade

the braking noise is gone from my rear after 50kms but the front is still screeching... would it be a toe-in issue?

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I have the Cosmic SLE, and are far far better wheels than any zipps ive put 1000s of miles on.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Alberello

by Alberello

laleme wrote:Did you toe-in the pads? Mine are set up with a credit card's width toe-in. I've put about 2500 miles on them so far. They don't squeal and the rim is still black with no signs of wear. I am very happy with mine!

Please someone can post a link with explanation of toe regulation I am not able to find it...

corky

by corky

Please Mavic, create a tubeless version..... the only thing stopping me from buying Exa rimmed wheels

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Mine don't squeak and aren't toed in. This is on CC SLR wheels. Which I've found to be terrific, truth be told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alberello

by Alberello

Tinea Pedis wrote:Mine don't squeak and aren't toed in. This is on CC SLR wheels. Which I've found to be terrific, truth be told.

Please explain what is toe regulation...

vlastrada

by vlastrada

my Ksyrium SLRs squealed for ages, even more so after cleaning the rims, even if superficially. Toeing-in the pads can help to reduce the squealing.
As for the breaking performance, I don't think it is much better than a conventional alu rim.

I would rate my Ksyriums SLRs as OK+ all round training wheels on which you can race, but nothing special. Also, I broke two spokes, and I weigh ~63kg.

Valy

by Valy

Alberello wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Mine don't squeak and aren't toed in. This is on CC SLR wheels. Which I've found to be terrific, truth be told.

Please explain what is toe regulation...

Instead of installing the pads parallel to the rim you make the front of the pad closer to the rim than the rear of the pad so it looks kind of like this: /||\.

A good way to do this would be to put a credit card etc under the rear part of the pad when setting them up and squeeze against the rim - that will give you a good amount of toe in. It does not have to a lot, all it does I think is just make the application of them more gradual hence helping with squealing and judder.

Alberello

by Alberello

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com