Tufo Elite Ride 23 Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

fa63 wrote:fdegrove- I am just curious, have you actually ridden these Tufo Elite Ride tubulars?

The answer is: NO

fdegrove has never ever touched a Tufo product, but he is always the one, who says that Tufo is a piece of crap.
I asked him few times, why is Tufo so bad... he never answered.
He is just a poor TUFO hater :P

If you read fdegroove posts, you will find out that he/she (?) :-) is a smart guy....but You cannot ask him about TUFO :noidea: That is how it is.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

I have had limited experience with them , but it was not great. Thet were on a set of Enve 3.4's I was tesing and they made the set up feel very average. Then schwables, which had great puncture resistance but no feel. Finally put on Vittorias, no comaprison as all here would confirm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

fdegrove has never ever touched a Tufo product, but he is always the one, who says that Tufo is a piece of crap.

The only Tufo products I still use are their aluminium extenders and, occasionally, their older sealant.
I see little point in redishing the same answers again and again when everything that needs to be said about their road tyres has been said on this forum several years ago already.

In a nutshell: tons of hyperbole and way overpriced.
That said feel free to try them out so you can form your own opinion.

And for your information: I can try just about any Tufo product for free should I want to. I almost invariable decline the offer as I find it a total waste of time.

Hope that settles it? ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dierix

by dierix

also prefer vittoria's. have tried one pair of tufo's, look nice but ride isn't comparable

109er

by 109er

i still have a pair that have been stretched and have sat in a cool dark space for a few years. Im going to give them a try and really approach them with an open mind. ill post what i find, here.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

JLFast

by JLFast

Great! I wish I would have found this thread before I paid a small fortune for my Tufo's this week. There going on tonight. I only bought them because of my W.W. fever and the fact that they are 160g! What should I have bought instead to try and get my Large sized Pinarello Prince to a respectable W.W. weight?! Thanks!

zx9rmal

by zx9rmal

So it's a year later and I'm a bit late to the party. I have seen several very positive reviews of the Tufo Jet Special tubulars that I have been using for a while. I'm no racer, but they have been durable and seem to ride well, although I am a lightweight at 135 lbs. I'm strictly a road rider so I don't think I would notice any increased rolling resistance. Odd that there are very positive reviews out there, yet the consensus here is that everything Tufo is crap. Have their products improved over the past year? You guys know a lot more than me, so I'm just trying to expand my brain.
Mal
Weston, FL
'92 Merlin Extralight, 14.6 lbs.
'14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Have their products improved over the past year? You guys know a lot more than me, so I'm just trying to expand my brain.

AFAIK, no. They're still the same clueless marketing driven crap as they've always been. Sub par, sub chinensis. IOW a blemish .

Ciao, ;)

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I like their Tubular Extreme tape. I wouldn't be riding tubulars without it.

109er

by 109er

It's been awhile but I've ridden the tires a bit and kinda liked them. (I hate to admit). If you pump them up to the recommended pressure they get what feels like great rolling resistance. I pumped them up to about 150psi for the duration of my "test". I felt like that would be the best pressure for my needs (crits, road racing on crappy roads.) If you only put about 120psi in the tires they rode horribly. Like a damp block of wood. All in all I was impressed a bit by them considering the bad rep they get. Would I buy them ever again? Heck no. They are way too overpriced and dont achieve the desired ride I wanted. I typically ride my bike with 85-100 psi in my tubulars and the same with the tubeless options I've ridden. Which honestly I feel like this is the best option for racing.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

If you pump them up to the recommended pressure they get what feels like great rolling resistance.

Key is " feels like". Anything beyond that is just an illusion, I'm afraid.
Point is, pump up any tyre hard and it would make you feel you're going fast on it. In reality you're just hopping about losing traction and speed at every imaginable road irregularity.

That, your impression, is what Tufo and their like count on for you to buy their product. IOW a bubble not unlike the Lehman Bros....

Ciao, ;)

109er

by 109er

Precisely.

JBV

by JBV

I've used these (and the HICC's) as training tires in the past. Where I live there's a ton of glass on the road, as well as goatheads (thorns). Tufos are tubeless, which means sealant actually works. So I would flat maybe 1-2 times per year. People using clinchers with tubes & sealant would flat quite a bit more, unless they also added liners (like a Mr. Tuffy).

I've since switched to clinchers without tubes, and while I can't run them at as low pressure as a Tufo (I ride some dirt & gravel roads too), there's better tire selection and lower rolling resistance, while they still appear pretty flat proof.

They are expensive, but I'm generally able to find them for roughly 1/2 of retail. $75US for a tire isn't that bad if it means no flats.

They are slow tires, the tests prove that, as does my anecdotal experience. The rubber on the Elite's isn't bad though, so they're reasonably grippy on both wet & dry surfaces.