Question about Cannondale Premium Fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vashirak

by vashirak

Hi,

I am quite sure that something related to what I am about to ask has been discussed here before, but somehow I just can't seem to find that thread.

Anyway, I finally receive my CAAD8 today, and it comes with a slice premium fork and a FSA headset. Inside the carbon steering tube of the fork, there is something that looks like a star nut, but I am not sure if it is. I have used some other fork with carbon steering tube before and I was warned not to use the starnut system, so I am curious about this case. Is this special to cannondale fork or was it that the starnut was accidentally put in there when it is not supposed to be?

Also, another question related to this, is there supposed to be any spacer ring that sits between the fork and the lower part of the headtube? After putting the fork and the frame together, the upper crown of the fork seems to be rubbing against the headtube with some resistance.

Thanks so much for your help

Boonen

by Boonen

The cannondale forks somehow do have a starnut, don't know why they opted for this design.
And, Yes, there has to be a little ring on your fork. The lower bearing in your headset will rest on this ring. If you aren't sure how to assemble it get it to your LBS, he will have the right tools for it. (if it is a slotted ring just use a little screwdriver, stick it in the slot, turn 90 degrees and push the ring on the fork.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mokmu

by mokmu

Correct, except that the FSA crown race is not a slotted type. It is solid and is press fit onto the fork. As Boonen said, if not sure how to do this, take it to your LBS.