HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 69  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm 

I recently got my Farsports 24mm deep, 23mm wide clinchers and I am using them exclusively as a training wheelset. I like them a lot. they're plenty stiff when sprinting and are a decent weight around 1330g. Finally did a decent ride with them today. About 45 miles with close to 4,000ft of climbing. Descending with them was fine but I need to adjust my brake pads for optimal braking at speed. Not really a comment on the wheels but they're not setup as well as they should be right now. I'll report back when I have a few more hundred miles on them.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:59 am 

syncmaster wrote:
they're plenty stiff when sprinting and are a decent weight around 1330g.

Thanks a lot for your post. Did you get the "CN" model? Otherwise, the "CM" are listed at 1170g. Which hubs did you get?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 am 

Yes I got the CN model. These specifically: http://farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-189.html
I went with the beefier model because I was worried about using the superlight 24mm clincher wheelset as an everday wheel. And I also wanted the wide rim.

I believe they are the Bitex Hubs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 pm 
Administrator

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87659&start=750

Above is a link to my first review and build and now some further update.

My team held its Spring training camp this past weekend and I rode nothing but my Farsports wheels.

With Saturday's ride being 106 miles and 9000 feet of climbing the wheels performed beyond my expectations. They climbed as well as anything else I have ever ridden and descend just as good too. We did have some extreme winds the 38mm wheels caused no real issues with handling. Braking with the blue pads are second to none. The wheels are still just as true as when I received them.

The only issue was my 11-26 cassette that I bought used skipped on several cogs so I had to use an 11-23. While I did suffer a bit it was not as bad as I expected.

I would highly recommend Farsport wheels if you're looking for a very good wheel at a price that is cheap enough that should you wreck one it doesn't break the bank and you're not compromising performance in anyway. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:46 pm 

Is kylefoo still around? If you are Kyle, I'd like to exchange some emails regarding an order I'd like to place. Thx, mallardducks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 am 

anybody have experience with farsports' new ceramic black brake pads? i'm guessing it's their version of the SS black prince pads, not entirely sure though. I've been in talks with some sales people at there and they've mentioned their blue brake pad supply has run dry and are recommending these new black ones. If anyone here has ridden them I'm sure any current and potential farsports owners would like to know. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 am 
Administrator

I have an extra set of the Blue in Campy if anyone wants or needs a set. PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:32 pm 

I now have 300 miles on the new black ones on my newest set of the 38mmX23mm wheels. The black seem to be softer and stop a little better than the great stopping blue sets. It is hard to really compare exactly since the blue were used on the 2013 wheels which have a smooth brake surface and the blacks are being used on the new 2014 set with a scrim type rougher brake surface.

They both stop great, however the black cost 2x the cost of the blue a whopping $10.00 for a full set of the black.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm 

Thanks. I just ordered some of the new black pads along with a wheel set and will be trying them on my older basalt brake track wheels.

If you want the blue pads Williams lists them for $15/set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 pm 

Do the new 2014 clincher wheels make you move the pads down further on the brake track still? Torn between clincher or tubs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm 

I run my pads in the normal position on my rims (50mm basalt brake track clinchers and 24mm tubulars).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 pm 

nickf wrote:
Do the new 2014 clincher wheels make you move the pads down further on the brake track still? Torn between clincher or tubs.

The wheels have a sticker that helps you align the pads, and yes they are lower than the Bassalt, however the track is wider and everything was actually easier.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm 

Speaking of the brake surface could some one with these wheels tell me if iv set these up right my pads are set around 3 mm from the lip of the wheel if i take them any lower they will be running on the body of the wheel and not the rim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 pm 

http://i.imgur.com/3NnmTft.jpg picture of how i have them set at the moment sorry for the shity mobile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 pm 

So here is a Longer term review for anyone thats interested.
I have the 2014 Bitec Ushaped wide 38mm wheelset.

I now have 6000 miles on on them. After riding in Rain, High winds and several degrees of descents I can post only positive results with these wheels.

The Brake Pad area is fine. Very few if any signs of use. I washed the brake area with soap and water after every three rides. Hand dried. As well, I used a scotch gaurd pad to wipe down and clean the brake surface area. That helped the most with braking. Used soap and water 90% of the time AFTER using the scotch guard. Adjusting is extremely important with these brakes ive learned. Unlike Alum wheels where one can get away with disregarding brake adjustment and Brake pad maintenance, these wheels MUST be maintained. After rides in the rain there is slightly less break quality but its very good for a carbon wheel. BUT YOU MUST, clean the break pads, because of grime being picked up off the ground. Im very sure that if you had some type of small rock chip, metal on the brake pad it could do damage to the wheel.

Also, after removing the tires to install new ones, I noticed no warping at all to the wheels. Inside or out. And frankly I noticed NO truing issues at all too. For reference i weigh 135.6 lbs and am 5'9. So maybe its my weight but I cant be sure. Also, I didnt notice any issues with the rim tape that they put in there also, I was wanting to get some velo plugs but I didnt see a need to at this point.

Ive ridden it in mostly Dallas which is generally flat, but Ive also taken it to Austin and West texas where there are more hills. Found no issues with longer distance descents or anything of that nature. There may be some squealing but no more so than other carbon wheels. Except for newer ENVE wheels which i'm convinced are made from unicorn horn dust because they never seem to squeal and sound dead sexy.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with these wheels and will for sure report if I have any issues so far.
Im about to run out of Brakes though, the blue ones so if anyone is making an order for wheels, let me know and Ill be happy to send you paypal some cash, to order me some on your order. Because the shipping is free for you that way....

Ride safe

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 69  Next