HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 am 

You can easily plug them in using those small pencils from the big blue-yellow swedish furniture retailer.

Getting them out is quite the opposite though..

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 pm 

When I abandoned tubeless, I switched to red veloplugs, didn't really have any trouble installing them. I I used the curved part of a (plastic) tire lever to push them in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 pm 

I used the business end of a 1/4" drive nutdriver with no socket on it.

A thin strip like Rox might make for even more tire mounting clearance.

Pushstart, why'd you give up on tubeless?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:08 am 

eric wrote:
Pushstart, why'd you give up on tubeless?

I had bad luck with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tires (more flats than tubes, sidewall blowouts) but mostly those Farsports rims were just impossible to seat -- very loose fit. I will try road tubeless again with better/ different tires. I love it on the cx bike and mtb (of course).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:05 pm 

Koop in geen geval carbon wielen bij Speeder Cycling in China. http://www.speedercycling.com
De eigenaar hiervan, Justin Pan, is een grote oplichter. Je betaalt, hij stuurt andere wielen dan je bestelt, vervolgens zegt hij dat je de verkeerde wielen wel tegen een 'special price' kunt kopen, maar de wielen die je daadwerkelijk besteld hebt, krijg je nooit.
Voor meer info ben ik te bereiken via whatsapp op 06-53446307

Short translation: don't buy wheels or frames at Speeder Cycling. You pay, they sent you the wrong wheels, when you tell them they propose you a special price if you want to keep them, but you never receive the wheels you ordered.

Big shame.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm 

Hi guys/gals.
Much to do lurker and follower.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the "Farsports FSC-38TM", 2014 38mm, U shaped clinchers:

http://wheelsfar.com/2014-new-38mm-clin ... p-295.html

I went with the 38mm because Dallas is generally incredibly windy and I'm not very good with crosswind.
Also I went with the BiTec instead of the EdHub ceramic, seems that a lot of people have been having problems with those...so I went with the BiTec steel. Any ideas on how to bring these down below 1300 grams? Seems they weighed these wheels without skewers.
Here is the pic they took of the wheelset:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 pm 

Shortsocks, all manufacturers weight data are without including skewers weight.
Considering that Reynolds MV 32C UL's were around 1285 gram these Farsports 38mm clinchers seem to have a very good weight for me.
May be you get some spoke plugs instead of a tape and some lightweight tubes with short enough valves and some lightweight tires to complete your lightweight wheel package.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 pm 

bura wrote:
Shortsocks, all manufacturers weight data are without including skewers weight.
Considering that Reynolds MV 32C UL's were around 1285 gram these Farsports 38mm clinchers seem to have a very good weight for me.
May be you get some spoke plugs instead of a tape and some lightweight tubes with short enough valves and some lightweight tires to complete your lightweight wheel package.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Didn't know. :)

I agree. For the price ,and the depth 38mm, the weight is fantastic. It's pretty exciting. Can't wait to ride them. I agree. I'm going to look at some velo plug reds? I think those are the ones that fit....and some lighter tubes and I'll be done. I was going to go the GP4000s route on these. I know they aren't the lighters option, but for 209 grams they will do, I think.

Thanks bura!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:24 pm 

Shortsocks wrote:
Hi guys/gals.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the "Farsports FSC-38TM", 2014 38mm, U shaped clinchers:

I went with the 38mm because Dallas is generally incredibly windy and I'm not very good with crosswind.
Also I went with the BiTec instead of the EdHub ceramic, seems that a lot of people have been having problems with those...so I went with the BiTec steel. Any ideas on how to bring these down below 1300 grams? Seems they weighed these wheels without skewers.

Hey Short, Like Bura said, all wheel manufactures weight them w/o skewers and tape. I recently received the same wheels as you but I ordered the EdHub ceramic. Your hubs actually look exactly like mine, are you sure you got BiTex and not EdHub? The Far website says 1300 grams for the BiTex so they are right on the money! What spokes did you get? I got CX-Ray. My wheels w/o skewers and rim tape they weighed 1229 grams. I am going to run them tubeless with a set of Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm tubeless tires so I added two layers of Stans yellow tape, a set of Stans Valves as well as lightweight skewers and my wheelset came to 1315 grams! I wonder if you got the Delta spokes and perhaps they also weigh more???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:28 pm 

Short, do your hubs look like the BiTex on this page - http://wheelsfar.com/accessories-c-112.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 pm 

Those are Bitex hubs.

RAR-13 rear and maybe a RAF-12 front though I'm not positive. (http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/products_d ... efeb544cef)

I think that the Edhubs are also Bitex, just lighter models.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm 

WheelTester wrote:
Shortsocks wrote:
Hi guys/gals.

Hey Short, Like Bura said, all wheel manufactures weight them w/o skewers and tape. I recently received the same wheels as you but I ordered the EdHub ceramic. Your hubs actually look exactly like mine, are you sure you got BiTex and not EdHub? The Far website says 1300 grams for the BiTex so they are right on the money! What spokes did you get? I got CX-Ray. My wheels w/o skewers and rim tape they weighed 1229 grams. I am going to run them tubeless with a set of Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm tubeless tires so I added two layers of Stans yellow tape, a set of Stans Valves as well as lightweight skewers and my wheelset came to 1315 grams! I wonder if you got the Delta spokes and perhaps they also weigh more???

Well. I haven't actually received the wheels as of yet. Kind of prematurely jumped the gun. That was the photo farsport sent me. I'll give a ton more reviews and pics when I get them on tues/wends. I actually went with the CX-ray spokes too. Reading to your weight I kinda feel like the ceramic Ed-hubs would have been the better deal. But it does seem they look very similar. But 1315 grams with everything?
I'm envious. How do they ride? What brakes are you using? The blue farsport ones that come with it? I'm very curious as to your overall views on them.

Shortsocks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:22 pm 

I am in the process of looking into another set of 38mm clinchers. My first set has worked well and my wife wants them. The first question and only one since I have ridden the FS 38mm since last July. 23mm vs the 25mm on the FS site. I have HED c2's that are 23mm and love the wider rim. If I love the ride of the 23mm is more better with the 25mm.

Shortsocks, the FS blue pads work the best vs cost of pads. Black prince are grabby and cost tons more. when I order my next set of wheels I plan on buying a few extra sets since they are so cheap.

Scott

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

Am I the only one who has trouble fitting GP4000S to the new 38mm 23mm wide clinchers? Even with tire levers, brutal force, baby powder I cannot get the f.... tire on.

I measured the diameter of the rim and the Farsport rim is 9mm bigger than my Racing Zeros

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:36 pm 

I tried to use Conti GP Attack and Force on my 50mm farsport rims. I got them on but it took way too much effort. That was with veloplugs. Using a thin rim strip like Rox might make it a little easier but they're still going to be tight. I was worried about getting the tire off again if I have a flat. So I went back to Michelin PR4s. They fit with no problem. Contis are just tight tires.

BTW the wide thin flat Conti levers seem to work a lot better on tight tires than the more traditional rectangular section levers. Park also makes some wide thin levers but they are bulkier so I use them in the shop only. The Conti levers are very hard to find in the US. I had to get them from the UK.
http://www.bike24.com/p2472.html

Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next