HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 66  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 am 

SS Yellows suck. They don't brake that well and are the worst for heating up rims.
FarSports' blue pads work better.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 am 

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Powerway hubs?

The only decent reviews are a few years old.. so maybe they have changed..

They look pretty nice!!

http://www.power-way.com.tw/pfh-r36.htm
http://www.power-way.com.tw/phb-r36.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 am 

scotty wrote:
... experience with Powerway hubs?...

Suggest ask Brandon at http://www.bikehubstore.com/, he sells them.
He also has straight pull spokes to suit the hubs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am 

eric wrote:
SS Yellows suck. They don't brake that well and are the worst for heating up rims.
FarSports' blue pads work better.

Good to know. I'm changing my order anyhow after seeing how narrow the 23mm wide wheel is at the brake track... mainly due to the 622x15.4mm internal width. I'm hoping to land at least a 17mm internal, if not 18-19, whichever wheels I get.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 am 

liam7020 wrote:
Thanks for that info pushstart. I notice from your posts on another forum that you have the Farsports u-shaped 50x24mm clinchers which appear to be the same wheels I'm thinking about. Farsports have them listed as cyclocross wheels but would you consider them suitable for use on rough roads? I'd be interested to hear your opinion. Cheers.

Yeah, I use them as road wheels. The width is very nice. I was running 23mm tires but now have some 25mm GP4000S tires on and they feel great and look very natural (not bulging out) on those rims.

On the whole I have been happy. I did retensioning the rear wheel as it was below spec and I was worried about breaking a spoke. Maybe ill-founded fears. Braking surface is fine - no issues with shudder on my wheels. Braking performance (blue pads) is certainly not up to alloy standards, but I imagine few carbon rims can claim that. These are the only wheels I have on my road bike so they get ridden on whatever surface, etc. Certainly not ridden delicately, and certainly have held up just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:08 am 

thprice wrote:
scotty wrote:
... experience with Powerway hubs?...

Suggest ask Brandon at http://www.bikehubstore.com/, he sells them.
He also has straight pull spokes to suit the hubs.

No luck with Brandon... I'm a little nervous about taking a flyer on these without a bit of info...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 am 

Just letting the group know that I am pleased to announce that the Bike Hub store UL190 fits the EDhub from Farsports. If you need a 11 speed upgrade it all works great and if you have the Ceramic Edhub the bearings pop out and you can move them to the new hubs.

I am really disappointed that FS did not respond to any of my emails after the sale, regarding the need to purchase an 11 speed hub, thanks to BHS.

My 38mm front wheel still shudders upon braking, Originally I thought it was due to that brake in period, no response on that as well.

Still happy with the value, however these things should be more true than they are.

Scott

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:39 pm 

So I got my new CX disc wheels today. They look great and I'm looking forward to try them.Wheels were custom bulit for me (Shimano 135 OLD, 50mm rims) and it took about month to build them. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with wheels. I'll see how durable Novatec hubs are compared to my old Shimano or Campagnolo hubs.
Weight is 1396g for set .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:24 pm 

Got my 24mm tubulars on Bitex hubs, 20/24H configuration today. If the scales were accurate, dead 1000g for the set. Left them at LBS just to recheck everything for additional round of QC, sorry :D One thing which I should have guessed, but it wasn't on the website: in the warranty papers, the wheels have a rider weight limit of 85kg while on the website I didn't find such a limitation stated anywhere.

Anyway, won't have a chance to ride them for at least 4 months anyway, as it is full scale autumn Atlantic cyclones out there, so I have quite a time to drop a few kg's from my current 76 to be more on the safe side.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:31 am 

I thought I'd update my experience with my second set (FSC50-CM, my first set was the FSC38-CM).
The 50s can be seen here: http://www.farsports.cn/product/detail.php/id-141.html
I finally got a few rides in (probably about 300 miles on them now), and a couple of my rides took me over some really crap roads with lots of broken tarmac and potholes. At the start of the first ride, the brake squeal was so bad, it was deafening. By the end of the ride it was not nearly as bad. Now it is non-existent, and the braking is strong and consistent. The wheels are true, and they really ride nice. I haven't been in any severe cross winds yet, but so far, the handling has been great even at 50mm. They feel extremely fast and light (and weighed in at 1340g), I think these will be my "go to" wheels when high winds are not predicted. I know other people have had problems with FarSports wheels, and I can't question their experience, so these wheels do seem like a gamble, but I love mine, and my experience has been very positive (been dealing directly with Kyle).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 pm 

Here are my FSL50-CM-23 's built up with Sapim CX-Rays onto Hope RS Mono's. Somewhere near 1460g.
Photo's taken by my wheel builder. Matt 3K finish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 pm 

Great pics! Thanks! Sexy looking rims

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

gitsome wrote:
Great pics! Thanks! Sexy looking rims

No worries!
This thread was a massive help when ordering. Ended up emailing Kyle Fu directly from the email addresses in this thread. Rims were in the UK 4 days later.
Glad that they're 'samples' so I avoided the dreaded import tax etc.
Can't really say that weighing bike parts is my thing but really love this site. So much knowledge and cool parts and ideas for my Colnago Competition Art Decor build.
Cherrs
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am 
Administrator

Drank the Koolaid. I ordered a set of the 38mm carbon clinchers with the ED hubs. I have a set already, different manufacturer but 300 grams more and I love those wheels. Plus my current wheels are not 23mm wide but do have ceramic bearings. Will post wheel build and ride feedback as soon as I get them.

Very seriously, via email I blasted Kyle with question after question and he was quick to respond and very helpful which drove my decision.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 pm 

50mm x 23 finally shod with Vittoria Open Corsa CX (23) tyres.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 66  Next