HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 am 

So what is the problem: hub design or bearing quality?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm 

It seems like it's bearing quality. At least for now. After putting in the new ones I haven't got problems with play anymore.
It's just insanely quick the bearings started to give play in the wheel. 1 month approx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 pm 

It sounds like the common thought with Ceramics is still true, lube and service. In the case of wheelssets from a source that we can not actually touch the item at time pre purchase I think pre use service may be needed. My ED freehub was totally dry upon delivery, I took it apart lubed it and have had hundreds of trouble free miles... knock on wood :)

By the way I took it apart just to see what was inside to know what was there, I would say that might have been the only way I would have noticed it.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:04 pm 

Now that this topic is active again, I think it would be useful to get back to this problem from back in July:

Quote:
Kyle, I have sent a warranty claim 3 days ago to the info email adress.
This email has not yet been answered, could you look into this?

Thanks.
roadytracky wrote:
trychle - I've been working on a warranty problem with Farsports for months now. It's been over a week since my last e-mail was sent, and I haven't received any response. Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for, but all of the feel-good reviews in this forum lead me to believe this time it would be different. Yesterday, I re-sent my last e-mail to Kyle so I'll give him one more chance to respond. Hopefully, he responds, and takes care of my defective wheel once-and-for-all so I can ride the wheels again and continue to do business with Farsports. I have another rear wheel to order to match a wheel from a mixed set I'd previously ordered from Farsports, and, yes, despite all this I'm still considering ordering another wheel from Farsports (I've previously ordered 6 wheels, and ordered 4 more for teammates, and this one wheel is the only defective wheel - broken spokes, seized nipples, loud/sticky freehubs, and less-than-smooth spinning ceramic EdHubs notwithstanding).

I am glad to tell you all that this problem was solved superbly well.
'Superbly well' might sound a bit overenthusiastic, but taking into account that I had actually voided my warranty it was.
I had done so by braking too high on the brake track. (Brake shoes can not be adjusted to a lower position.. any advice?)
Ultimately I ended up buying an entire new front wheel, minus the cost for the rim.
The defective wheel is now 'objet trouvé' 8)
So, once again, Thumbs up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:43 pm 

trychle, what brakes are you running?

I'm using the Planet-X-CNC brakes and I am able to get the pads on the low-end of the brake track, both front and rear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm 

I'm using Ultegra brakes. Those Planet-X CNC brakes are on my wishlist for next year. ;)

Do you think it is the difference in lenght of the brake arms or could it be the position of the brake caliper?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:15 pm 

Looking at the 38 tubs. FSC38-TM Im currently running a set of the williams 38 clinchers. About 10k miles on them. One rear bearing change. Even did a roubaix style ride on them without issue. Im 175lbs. Might get into racing not sure. Was going to spec chosen hubs (same as williams) Will the TM be a good choice or the heavier TN series?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 am 

Just about to order a set of the 24mm tubulars but was going to go with the ceramic bearing ed hub but they dont seem to be that reliable after reading the feedback on here. Are the steel bearing ed hubs ok or are they just as problematic?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 am 

I have 2-3k miles on my Edhub (steel-bearing) hubs. (On 50mm Farsports clinchers.) They generally seem fine, though I think that some of what I had been thinking was odd occasional drivetrain skipping/clanging noise may be coming from hub. Not a significant problem, and only happens in specific torsional cases (e.g. pedaling coming out of a sharp turn). I may be misdiagnosing this too; in general I have been happy with the hubs and would consider them again. They certainly are light!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm 

RMcC wrote:
Just about to order a set of the 24mm tubulars but was going to go with the ceramic bearing ed hub but they dont seem to be that reliable after reading the feedback on here. Are the steel bearing ed hubs ok or are they just as problematic?

Also problematic At least in the two wheelsets with them that we tested

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm 

Wantax wrote:
RMcC wrote:

Also problematic At least in the two wheelsets with them that we tested

An easy fix? Can you elaborate on the problems?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 am 
in the industry

Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China
Hello everyone, it seems many of you havenot got answer/response in time, because 1st--7th Oct were our National Holiday.

About the problems, you can contact the salesman who you communicated previously first, they will let you fill in complaint sheet, to know the situation in details, then forward to our manager--Mae, she will reply you in 1-3days as estimate.

Sorry for the troubles caused.
kyle Fu

http://stores.ebay.com/fse-wheels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:28 pm 

Kyle, I am looking to make a parts purchase. On the website, there is no listing for freehubs. I have sent emails a few different ways, I now understand about National day now thanks to the group here.

Thanks again for your time here

Scott

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 am 

So overall, are there more positives with these wheel sets and worth the risk?

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 am 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am 

50mm tubs on edhubs. No problems so far after 1year of use, but in hindsight I'd take the novatec hubs rather.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 65  Next