Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

kindly let the members know that if you bought wheels from Far sport and find that the V- brake attached with the package are wore out. you are enable to contact with the sales you communicated before asking for replacement (free), which ony needs about 10US$ delivery cost by EMS(as estimated). :) lol.....
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

theremery

by theremery

OK....that indicates a MUCH MUCH better level of service than X-bikes, Kyle. You are keen to have your record stand for itself.
Ultimately, product is product and service is service... BOTH are important. I'm really annoyed with X-bikes but I really DO believe in the idea that this product CAN work. Was my front rim just a random dog?
Is your company able to ship me a pair of 20H light carbon clinchers (I'll take both in 20H ....one as a back-up) that I can ride on a hill, and that won't deform on me? As, or hopefully only IF, it deforms you can provide a replacement within 4 weeks, and I won't wait 4 months for shipping?
If you can promise this (in 2 x 20H clincher, Matt finish)....both for the front (and I'd tollerate a few grams of EXTRA weight) <---I NEVER normally say this!!, I promise to buy from you at normal prices now and review for everyone to see.
You'll have an ex National schoolboys champ (with skills....but I'm old now) riding your gear and evaluating it fairly, The set up is flawless and the riding skill is very high. The hills here are steep (20 % is not uncommon for sections) but I mostly stay off the hills (I don't like them much and don't like climbing). I am 75kg (though more like 72 by the end of the summer, which we are just starting). The bike weighs 4.7kg +/- 0.5kg depending on the gear I'm riding, so it is not overladen re braking but bear in mind it is steep here.
Well?
Is your product up to the test?
My offer is genuine. This time, the payment will be made at the time of delivery and the Warranty will start from there.
Others on this forum will (I hope) let you know that I'm a man of my word.
The offer is now open.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

theremery wrote:OK....that indicates a MUCH MUCH better level of service than X-bikes, Kyle. You are keen to have your record stand for itself.
Ultimately, product is product and service is service... BOTH are important. I'm really annoyed with X-bikes but I really DO believe in the idea that this product CAN work. Was my front rim just a random dog?

Theremery, just now i double red the thread, with respect to "VX5C" "VX5D" "X-bike", actually i am not very clear about the whole stuff and about older far sports. but as someone mentioned Form core i thought what you guys said is this version rims right? now we only have FSP50-T availble, with PU form core inside, UD matte, 340g/pc +/-10g. but not clincher type.
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

theremery

by theremery

Kyle: I can't use a tubular here.....too much glass on the roads....it'd cost me $200/week in tyres alone.
I'm not super keen per se on a foam core one. Just a light (ish) 50mm clincher (49mm) that will withstand hill use.
What do you have in internal nipple that would fit that description?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

theremery wrote:Kyle: I can't use a tubular here.....too much glass on the roads....it'd cost me $200/week in tyres alone.
I'm not super keen per se on a foam core one. Just a light (ish) 50mm clincher (49mm) that will withstand hill use.
What do you have in internal nipple that would fit that description?

replied you.
FarSports carbon wheels

theremery

by theremery

Kyle has made contact. After a couple of days of one email being sent and no reply, I followed up. We came to an agreement about types/models, an invoice was sent and within 1 day, Photos had arrived of the rims all boxed up and ready to send and a tracking number. Genrally efficient so far, and that "pay->post" time was impressive.
The evaluation has begun :)

theremery

by theremery

Delivery was attempted today. Xiamen Far can't help it that my delivery dude is afraid of my dog......so for the purposes of the evaluation, we need to assume the rims would have been in my hands today had it not been for the couriers
's very reasonable fear of being eaten. I can pick them up from the depot tomorrow morning :)
That's a week for delivery. Pretty good. I think.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Ordered my wheels Nov. 14th and finally received them today. Will update when I get to ride them (can hardly wait).

Wal

by Wal

Theremery, looking forward to your - as always - thorough, detailed and well-written analysis of the Farsports clinchers. Very tempted by a pair myself but will wait until next (northern hemisphere) spring before taking the plunge. Hoping to do some French Alps or Pyrenees riding next summer and need to have confidence in my wheels; if I'm not sure about carbon clinchers I'll take my alu wheels.

I'm intrigued by the Yoeleo 'Special Assembly Technology' wheels - 23mm wide and close to the Farsports in weight, but little in the way of customer reviews online. Decisions, decisions.

theremery

by theremery

Cheers, Wal :)
The Xiamen Far rims arrived very promptly and the delay in building was due to me needing to catch up on chores around the house, no rim dramas.
They are a plumper looking rim than the X-bikes rims. The photos do not show the differences.
Xiamen Far's offering is more rounded, has no foam core and DOES have a really full bead/tyre hook.
They are 50mm true (not a consistent 49-48 like some other rims that claim to be 50mm) and the pair I have are 443g and 451g each (the VX-5C was 404g and the back one was an impressive 382g from memory). I will build with the 443g rim tonight and add some pics later (photos one scale Prendrefeu.....yes....I know....."or it didn't happen" ;) )

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Haven't had a chance to take photos or weigh my wheels, but I wanted to give a little update. So far I've only had a chance to ride the 88mm Far Sports Track Tubulars. I also ordered 50mm clinchers and a seatpost from Far Sports for a new road bike I'm building up, but Xmas and work have been taking up time so that project and those parts are on hold. Anyway, I've ridden the wheels on the ADT Velodrome in Los Angeles 3 times in the past week, and they've been GREAT! I was worried the 20 radial front / 24 2X rear would be too fragile for track riding, but I haven't had any issues. I've motorpaced twice on the wheels at speeds well into the 40's (mph), and if they've held up to that, I think I'm good to go. Took exactly 1lb off my bike compared to the aluminum clinchers I had on before. Other than the 27 days I had to wait for delivery, the wheels, price, and customer service have been great. I'll update when I have more time.

theremery

by theremery

I built the front wheel tonight. It built easily and came up round and true with little effort. I'll put a gauge over it and see how good the rim is for width before I start riding it, then I'll check it over the following weeks to document any bulging/delamination starting under braking.
Of note: the internal nipple drillings are really nice. I used Wheelsmith spoke-prep and where too much was used, they would be quite difficult to insert into the rim. To me.....this is ideal as it means the spoke bed has as little weakening as possible. The wheel feels rigid when trying to move it at the brakes.
Dash hub, CX ray spokes and this rim built up at 574g. So, using a AC front hub or a BHS ultralite, you'd still be under 600g.....and you may just sneak in under 1300g with wise hub and spoke choices but still staying on a tight budget.
Veloplugz (red) fit nicely in these rims. Quite hard to press in (I used the curved edge of a crescent/spanner handle).
This has been a really positive start :)

kleinetako

by kleinetako

My Farsports wheels are in the mail. Can't wait for them to arrive.

I ordered a set of their "cyclocross" 38x23 clinchers built up with Edhub (BHS Ultralight) and CX Ray. Claimed weight is 1308g for the set. I had them built with no spoke holes in the rim bed so I can try them tubeless with less fuss.

Can't use internal nipples on this, but it should be nice and easy to seal up:

eric

by eric

With no spoke holes in the bed, how do you get the nipples in position?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Maybe they added a layer of CF in the bed after the wheels were built up? :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com