Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BobSantini

by BobSantini

@kylefoo:
Do you sell the ED hubs separately?
Do you have their flange dimensions?:
front - pcd, centre left/right,
rear - pcd left, pcd right, centre left, centre right.

Maybe I should ask this via pm but I think others would like to know.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

My experience with farsports isn't going well at all. Their shipping policy reads.. They ship in 1-3 days and delivery is 3-5 days. Right now it is almost 2 weeks since payment and I am getting a bit worried from buying from a Chinese Company. At first they were not answering any emails and now they say the wheels shipped today and they will send me the tracking numbers. If this goes well or bad I will fill you in.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Ordered my FSC38-CM on 2nd November, all plain sailing, got 2 mails from Johnson, including pictures of my built wheels, they are sending these today and will provide tracking number. I cannot fault them so far.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

My experience with Farsports was very positive.

I ordered a set of 50mm tubulars from them and they were excellent in terms of communication from the order to the shipment. The wheels shipped really quickly and were at my door in just over a week.

I ran into an issue when I noticed that the rear wheel had a defect in the rim edge. I took pics and sent the issue over to Farsports where they quickly apologized and offered to send me a new rim to replace the defective one right away.

I was happy that they were able to take care of the issue and I even asked them to cover the costs of a wheel build to swap in the new rim which they happily agreed to. Excellent customer service.

New wheel built up fine and is perfect. I love my wheels.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Mate, just get Williams Wheels. Totally worth it.

SlipperyT

by SlipperyT

I don't get it. Fast shipping and sending replacement is good, but we are reading about a very high rate of defective products.

Is everybody willing to trade quality for fast shipping?

When you are descending at 60mph, which makes more difference to you, the fact it was shipped in 3 days, or that it's actually a good rim?

syncmaster wrote:My experience with Farsports was very positive.

I ordered a set of 50mm tubulars from them and they were excellent in terms of communication from the order to the shipment. The wheels shipped really quickly and were at my door in just over a week.

I ran into an issue when I noticed that the rear wheel had a defect in the rim edge. I took pics and sent the issue over to Farsports where they quickly apologized and offered to send me a new rim to replace the defective one right away.

I was happy that they were able to take care of the issue and I even asked them to cover the costs of a wheel build to swap in the new rim which they happily agreed to. Excellent customer service.

New wheel built up fine and is perfect. I love my wheels.

ms6073

by ms6073

SlipperyT wrote:we are reading about a very high rate of defective products. Is everybody willing to trade quality for fast shipping?
As an owner of 3-sets of FarSports tubular wheels, I am not sure I support your assertion as I don't see how one can equate an extremely small/finite number of posts that indicated a problem as a high failure rate compared to an untold number of people who are completely satisfied yet may or may not post on web forums such as these. Additionally, of the 5 people I know with Zipp Firecrest carbon clinchers with my wife and I counting as 2 of the 5, one has had an issue which required sending wheels back to Zipp. So if we apply the same logic, since I am posting about the experiences of 3 owners, one of whom had a warranty claim, wouldn't that equate to an effective failure rate of ~33%?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

syncmaster

by syncmaster

mattcooke wrote:Mate, just get Williams Wheels. Totally worth it.

Except that they are quite heavy.

eric

by eric

One of my team mates went through two sets of Williams before giving up. They kept melting on descents. We have some steep ones around here.

No carbon rims, or aluminium rims for that matter, are completely immune to failure. If they made them so, they'd be so heavy that we would not buy them.

Judging product flaws by reading posts in forums will be misleading. Only the people with problems post. The rest keep quiet. So you have no idea what the percentage of problems is.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Ok,here are the pictures of my cracked rim. This is the rear, which generally did very little braking. There are less than 450 miles on the wheels.
And there is the foam core! :o
Chunks were coming out of the front brake track as well. There is a lot of this all the way around the rim.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Wow..... out of curiosity, what brake pads were you using? And what kind of terrain are you riding?

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I was using Zipp's carbon/carbon brake pads. They wear out extremely quickly, but the brake tracks never got more than a little warm. As for terrain, lots of hills and a bit of flats, only one really steep descent on these wheels, half a mile of ~14 percent (I went up the steeper side :shock: ). I am <130 pounds and not terribly taxing on the braking system typically. My bike is covered in carbon dust. At least it is sparkly... :noidea:

I was fairly conscious to take it easy on these wheels as they always felt fragile to me. As a side note they were pretty unstable feeling at 45+ mph.

The brake pads used on these wheels were, of course, only used on these wheels. Never used on aluminum rims.

bura

by bura

Wookieopolis@
Previous post you did tell that these are the "older" 50mm tubular -foam core-UD wheels.
To understand the issue a little better.
Questions:
-was this a older built and you have not using them as you rode only 450miles with them ?
-a new purchase of older rims? where did you purchase them?
-have you contacted farsports about the failure?
Thanks.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

pino76

by pino76

I have two sets of Farsports wheels, 38mm tubulars and 50mm clinchers. Both with the bassalt brake track.
I build the wheels myself and did some serious decending in the alps (france) without any trouble. (only braking when it is realy necessary :D )
I used swisstop Yellow. later I switched to blue Reynolds pads because the yellows were screaming like hell and leaves a yellow mark on the brake track.

my weight is 88 kg :oops:
The clinchers are my regular training wheels and the tubulars are for crit. races.

The braketrack still looks like new and the wheels feel solid. so :thumbup: for farsports

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

@Wookiepolis, looks like the brake track overheated and the layers of carbon suffered from it. At least from your pics seems like there's bubbles under the final lawyer of carbon along the brake track.