Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

The info@ address does not seem to work for orders or info. But you can contact individual sales people at salesn@farsports.cn where n is a single decimal digit.
I've bought from Angela who is sales4@farsports.cn.

So far I have used paypal and its worked ok.

I recently ordered some 38mm 23mm wide rims on edhubs and they were out of the blue brake pads. There's a new black "ceramic" pad. I got extras to use with my older 50mm v shaped narrow basalt rims. We'll see how they work.

Williams (here in California) shows blue pads on their web site for $15/set. Dunno if they are the same but I would be surprised if they're not.

JAGGY

by JAGGY

Lightweight FSC-CM-30/50 Wheel failure.

Felt the front on the ride but noticed the rear while cleaning.

38mm clincher front rim heat damaged with massive sideways buckle.

50mm clincher rear cracked and buldged out down from the valve hole.

Wheels are less than a year old.

Just sent an email to Bella who has been very helpful in past.

Will report my findings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

So how did that happen in the first place ?

Slagter

by Slagter

Kyle Fu is a member of this board.

His email

sales2@farsports.cn

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

JAGGY wrote:Lightweight FSC-CM-30/50 Wheel failure.

Felt the front on the ride but noticed the rear while cleaning.

38mm clincher front rim heat damaged with massive sideways buckle.

50mm clincher rear cracked and buldged out down from the valve hole.

Wheels are less than a year old.

Just sent an email to Bella who has been very helpful in past.

Will report my findings

What were doing that caused that? Do you have photos?

crankdxb

by crankdxb

Photos received yesterday from Far Sports, 38x23 UD Matte clincher 2014 model laced in Bitex hubs.
Order was placed last 11th + lead time & now it's currently on the way to my shipping address.

Will give report for some update once arrived.

Foil30

by Foil30

I recently placed an order for a 50mm wheelset with kyle fu too.

eric

by eric

I recently got a set of 38mm u shaped 21mm wide rims on edhubs. 1230g. The wheels were tensioned reasonably evenly, mostly high enough and did not require much tuning. The rims braking surfaces are pretty even. Braking is decent using the new "ceramic" black pads but not as strong as the blue pads on the basalt braking surface from last year or aluminium rims. So more hand pressure on the levers is required (I'm using 2012 Red levers and EE brakes). The pads make a whirring noise when applied but don't squeak except when coming to a hard complete stop.

I like how they use spoke washers on the radial laced spokes. I feel that Bitex hubs have too much of a chamfer on the spoke holes. Spokes laced radially heads out tend to break after a while because the elbow is unsupported. The washers should fix that.

They also used nipple washers.

theysell

by theysell

Very, very mixed opinion of Far Sports.

After 3 weeks of waiting I've just had my wheels through. They looked fantastic and very well manufactured, although unlike others I didn't receive any photographs of the wheels prior to despatch. I ordered (and was charged for) the 50mm 2014 23mm wide versions. However, what I actually received was a 20.5mm rim with the old profile shape. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement!

Let's see how good they are at sorting the situation out when they've royally messed up.

eigner

by eigner

Tried a few and have this far:
1 set where rearwheel needed redish and front wheel retension. Cassettebody needed replacement within 100km (60mm)
1 set where rear wheel delaminated (88mm)
1 rearwheel delaminated (50mm)
1 set (38mm) where the front and rear rims "melted" in the sun! Bike was strapped to roof rack of car. Car was parked in the sun for a lunch. The rims got deformed by a combination of heat from the sun and the pressure from the straps retaining the bike to the roof rack. Bicycle next to was equipped with zipp 303 - those were perfectly fine.
1 set of new u-shaped rims. The front looks fine, spins true. Rear carbon wobbles like the mould would have been very uneven. Looks crazy.. Wheel runs true though, but the rim finish is really bad, 'wobbely'/uneven almost bumpy.
1 set that should run Campagnolo. They shipped me the wheels with shimano 11 spd hub (after 53 days!!). Now I can wait for a replacement..

My take from this - still too crappy quality.
They seem to get more and more large scale customers = they care less and less about people who just order 1-5 sets.

Add to that, Farsports have upped their prices significantly over the past years. Though quality of carbon have not been upped. I'd rather save my money a few more months and buy rims from a respected manufacturer.

My only good experiences are from sourcing rims and components individually from well renowned manufacturers and building the wheels myself. Those wheels still run true and with no problems for since 2010 (and counting...)
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

Nicos

by Nicos

I ordered two pair of wheels from farsports in october, 20.5 wide 50mm deep tubulars, both pairs came in around the claimed weight (1160g, very light!)

I ordered the wheels from Smart by email ( sales7@farsports.cn )
I was really impressed how quickly they were delivered, only 5 days!
Paid the 13, shipped the 18, received the 23. I was expecting way worse...

So far I'm very happy with the wheels, they feel great in accelerations and for short tt's
They are so light I sometimes lift the front wheel when attacking on short hills, but that's probably just me :)

And they are incredibly strong!
I used them for the worse race you could invent for a road bike:
A 24h race, in a constant sprint around a 2.5km lap, where after every 1-2 lap you jump from the bike to give it to the next person, half of the lap is in really bad asphalt, average speed is above 37km/h. The wheels survived 4 falls, including 2 serious one with minor injuries, and a snapped carbon carbon frame at the headtube for the second one. The front wheel took the hit!
They were slightly out of true after the race, 4 mm for the front wheel, and 2mm for the rear wheel, but I trued them myself and they are nearly perfect now!
It was my first time truing wheels, tension uniformity is not great, they are <0.5mm out of true so I'm very happy.

Irish

by Irish

Just got (another) 3 sets of wheels from Farsports, they are 50mm x 20.5mm clinchers (2014 shape). Weighed them last night 2 sets came in at 1290g and one at 1270g, very impressed. Quality looks good, will be racing on them this w/end so will know how they go after that. For a comparison my previous set were 38mm x 20.5 (v shaped) were 1290g with veloplugs and I've never had a problem with them and I weigh 101kg.

Irish

by Irish

Well I raced the new 50mm farsports wheels today. The circuit was a mix of short sharp climbs fast descents with rough surfaces in places, plenty of mud dragged from the fields, and a sprinkling of rain to make it nice and slippy with fast open roads thrown in. The wheels performed as expected with no issues whatsoever. I'll give them a few more trashings and report back.

crankdxb

by crankdxb

Received the wheels last 27th of April and did a few k's this weekend and so far it was very good,
coming from a low-end Fulcrum aluminum wheels user I can say that weight as exactly as advertised,
hubs are running very smooth, trueness/alignment is great in a 110psi air pressure on a 68kg rider,
a little extra effort on squeezing in terms of braking (FSE brake pads on 2014 GSL), 3k weaving is very neat &
the new High temperature braking surface is wider and evenly layed up.

Very happy and impressed with this set though its too early to say that its worth the price, will give an update on
every after 500k's done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/136419947

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RC856

by RC856

crankdxb wrote:Photos received yesterday from Far Sports, 38x23 UD Matte clincher 2014 model laced in Bitex hubs.
Order was placed last 11th + lead time & now it's currently on the way to my shipping address.

Will give report for some update once arrived.

Hi,

Sorry....I haven't read through all the posts....can anyone tell me who actually makes the 38mm rims that Far Sports sell?

Cheers