Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NWLondoner

by NWLondoner

Can anyone here who has purchased some carbon clinchers from Xiamen Far Sports please let me know about you experience with the wheels themselves and the company.

I am very tempted by the FSC50-CP http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=645 50mm superlight set that they do but am still about anxious about sending $700 to china.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StefanG

by StefanG

I can't comment on those specific wheels, but I purchased some "superlight" tubular 50mm rims from Far Sports. I paid via Paypal, so that I could cancel it if the rims didn't show up, using paypal resulted in a 3% increase in cost, but seemed worth it (for a little insurance). Delivery took 3 - 4 weeks (paid $50 - $60 for shipping to US). Front rim weight was dead on, rear weight was about +15 grams over weight. Front wheel laced up great, runs smooth. Rear developed some cracks right on the rim lip where the tire fits over. Most of these china's shops will give you an exchange (in a case like this), but at your cost of shipping. It'll cost me $100 to ship it back and receive a new one, not really worth it.

If you go with one of these generic carbon rims/ebay distributors, you are basically gambling that there won't be any issues. Personally, I'm going with something like Boyd's wheels from now on. It'll cost an extra $200 - $300, but you have a real warranty - worth it to me.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I ordered 5 sets of tubulars from them and they arrived in 4 day. I couldn't believe it. The rims are decent, but like everything in life you get what you pay for.

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Be good to know how they save the 170grams per wheelset from their normal 50mm clinchers to the 'super-light' version.

From the relative spec lists it appears all the saving is in the rims, is the lower weight simply due to less carbon used in the same design, coming at a sacrifice to stiffness/durability or are they completely different rim constructions? :noidea:

barlo

by barlo

I ordered the tubular versions of these rims in December. They arrived within a couple of weeks and weights were within 5 grams. Have been worried about cracks but after almost 2000 km of riding no problems at all. The rear brake surface looks a bit pitted but they still stop. :shock:

I just ordered another batch of rims and they arrived in just over 3 weeks. Quality looks OK. Clincher weights (for my goofball friends) were over a bit and tubulars were under a bit. Everything I have purchased has been UD finish :thumbup: and they don't seem to upcharge for that. To be truthful, I am not shopping my China carbon any longer, FarSports has my business.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

:D i happen to find threads about our company here.
interesting, a good forum, good communicating.

kyle
Far sports
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kode54

by kode54

i bought a set from Far Sports. communication was great prior to the sale. execution got lost in the translation as i got 2 different sets. follow up was poor after the sale. i rode on the one set without issues for 300+ miles. then, on the rear (hub smith ceramics) bearings...something gave out...i could still pedal forward...but couldn't freewheel which seems that the bearing was binding up. took the wheel off and spun it by hand...and you can feel like its binding. emailed Johnson (my contact at Far Sports and who sold me the wheels) and never got a response back. i emailed Hub SMith and they were prompt in replying...but the issue here is that i have to pack the wheels up and ship them back. probably not worth returning for bearing replacement, at least not the most efficient. i'll probably take it apart and see what bearings i need and replace them myself.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I had some very good experience with Farsports. I ordered FSC50 light carbon wheelset and communication went well. Lily, my sales contact, answered all my questions and when she had to ask things , she came back with me winthin 24 hours with the answer. The wheels came within 7 days. Everything is great so far.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

kode54 wrote:i bought a set from Far Sports. communication was great prior to the sale. execution got lost in the translation as i got 2 different sets .

hello, i am sorry to hear that. if the situation like that you can contact our sales manager Mae directly, who can answer you.
we appreciate the responses from our clients, passing advice& ideas to the building technicist and get wheels improved.
Hubsmith series are few offered now in our company nowadays, which are widely insteaded by our ED ceramic bearing hubs, work well more in function and show more competitive in price.
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

poppiholla wrote:I had some very good experience with Farsports. I ordered FSC50 light carbon wheelset and communication went well.

:D Poppiholla, FSC50, i thought what you bought are our superlight series, Enjoying,you guy....
FarSports carbon wheels

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Kylefoo wrote -

"Hubsmith series are few offered now in our company nowadays, which are widely insteaded by our ED ceramic bearing hubs, work well more in function and show more competitive in price."

I am trying to decide which hubs to order, but I don't understand what you wrote. Are you saying Hubsmith are less expensive and function better than the ED ceramic bearing hubs? Thank you.

RobyDogma

by RobyDogma

I ordered a pair of 38mm carbon clinchers with hubsmith ceramic hubs. Wheels are great, weigh in at 1300g and straight as an arrow straight from the box!
My contact was Angela who answered me prompt and fast, also got a email from her a month after I received the wheels asking what I thought about them and if I was satisfied. Super professional in my opinion.

/Roberto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RobyDogma

by RobyDogma

I ordered a pair of 38mm carbon clinchers with hubsmith ceramic hubs. Wheels are great, weigh in at 1300g and straight as an arrow straight from the box!
My contact was Angela who answered me prompt and fast, also got a email from her a month after I received the wheels asking what I thought about them and if I was satisfied. Super professional in my opinion.

/Roberto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

yes I bought the FSC50-CM super light series. :beerchug: Great wheels. I had some small problem with the rear hub in the beginning, but after some grease came out, it turned out fine. I think that there was a little bit too much grease in the rear hub.
I also had a small problem with valve rattling in the wheel but I could solve that by using a plastic sleeve over the valve.
So far these small problems. I ride them without any problems at the moment and I am happy with them.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands