Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

I too have a 2011 R1 Addict, but I'm planning on selling it next week (on this forum) , for it is a size too big for me. (58cm)

Good to see that there are other 2011 AddictR1 riders around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

yea i was really lucky to pick up my AddictR1 from trisport last year. brand new frame @ 52cm for $1400 shipped. :) i use to ride aluminium frames (Fetish Bike), so this frame was a whole new world for me. hell.. even the climb.. it felt very agile and rock solid. i wanted to find a good climbing bike (even though i suck at climbs) and read a lot of good reviews on this. long story short.. i love this frame... :) only concern is the integrated FD hanger, where some ppl have experienced cracking from there. :( worse case, slap on a parlee FD hanger and call it a day.

Update: went out for a climb during lunch. this is a portion of the route that i train on to get myself to become a better climber... cuz currently i suck at it. so don't laugh... haha

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6677/capturexeb.jpg

before these 38mm, i had velocity aerohead alum wheelset (approx. 1585g/pair) with conti GP4000. climbing up and down this route was hard, but still manageable. i use to have a 11/34 cassette with my 6750 ultegra 50/34.

now i'm on 11/28 with SRAM RED 50/34 and these 38mm with PRO4 service road. not sure if it's mental or not, but everything seems to be easier. along with some breathing technique i'm trying out, i quickly made it up and down. the PRO4 really lives up to its name.. it rolled very nicely and smooth. the 38mm spin up quick which on the climbs, made every pedal seems much easier. i only used 34/22-25 only and didn't have to use the 28. :thumbup:

on the descent.. got up to 36mph... pumped a bit braking in the rear and front.. the front jittered a bit.. probably cuz it's new pads.. but afterwards on the way back to work, there's another small descent and the jitter from the front went away.

i'm not a pro, nor capable of racing or participate in club ride, but these wheels.. OMG... i'm in love!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Great stuff to read about since you have the same frame, however I have Dura Ace 7900 on mine. I have Sram red on my Cannondale.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

addictR1 wrote:on the descent.. got up to 36mph... pumped a bit braking in the rear and front.. the front jittered a bit.. probably cuz it's new pads.. but afterwards on the way back to work, there's another small descent and the jitter from the front went away.

Try toeing-in the pads a bit.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

Yeah, going from 1600g down to what 1050g-1200g should make a big difference in climbing, regardless of the rider.
Good to hear that changing wheels made a noticeable difference in your climbing. I'll be getting the same wheels next week, upgrading from a 1700g set of wheels. My climbing is definitely constrained at the moment.

eric

by eric

As much as I like both lightweight stuff and FarSports products, losing 600g isn't going to make a slow climber fast. A full 22oz bottle weighs about 650g. So its like climbing with one bottle instead of two. In terms of your actual time up a climb, that's not much difference. You can run the numbers here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLe ... _Page.html

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

eric wrote:As much as I like both lightweight stuff and FarSports products, losing 600g isn't going to make a slow climber fast. A full 22oz bottle weighs about 650g. So its like climbing with one bottle instead of two. In terms of your actual time up a climb, that's not much difference. You can run the numbers here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLe ... _Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, but the placebo effect is freaking awesome!
Speedplay is the devil!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

... and they look super cool!
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

addictR1

by addictR1

Placebo or not... It's working for me.. hehe

Oh and they're BAD ASS looking too...

deermatt

by deermatt

eric wrote:As much as I like both lightweight stuff and FarSports products, losing 600g isn't going to make a slow climber fast. A full 22oz bottle weighs about 650g. So its like climbing with one bottle instead of two. In terms of your actual time up a climb, that's not much difference. You can run the numbers here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLe ... _Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is not the same. You're comparing upsprung weight to sprung weight. Losing 1 pound off your wheels is equal to losing 7 pounds off the rest of your bike . Losing 600g off a wheelset will most definitely make someone climb faster. Sure, they may be a hair slower on flats due to less momentum, but not by much.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

Upgrading to 850g-1050g wheels should improve climbing on any bike. By how much , depends on the bike, and the rider. Of course it's how good a climber you are that matters, but great wheels definitely can't hurt.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

deermatt wrote:This is not the same. You're comparing upsprung weight to sprung weight. Losing 1 pound off your wheels is equal to losing 7 pounds off the rest of your bike.
Would you care to provide documentation backing up this rather astounding claim?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

The other thing is it may not make you faster, but if you take that weight off you don't have to work as hard. For one climb it might not make much of a difference, but on a long ride with several climbs it could add up.
Speedplay is the devil!

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

Yeah if losing a pound off your wheels equals losing 7 pounds off the rest of the bike, that is a seven fold difference. Not double, triple but seven fold. It would be really astounding if it were true. I doubt it is more than double.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

I would also like to see where you got "Losing 1 pound off your wheels is equal to losing 7 pounds off the rest of your bike." It's an interesting claim to make, but rather farfetched in my opinion. But i'm interested to hear more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com