Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

thanks for adding your opinion
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

you are welcome
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

btompkins0112 wrote:I've ridden wider wheels and I simply can't state that they feel "way better".......I can tell you what feels "way better" a 1200g wheelset vs a 1500g wheelset.

i agree with that. the only problem is that that is too obvious, and still, a 1500g wheel will have a greater momentum keeping a given speed, while a 1200g wheelset will have more acceleration but less momentum.

now back to topic, which is rim width, not weight. wider is better is not always true. for example, a 100mm wide rim won't even fit a road frame :mrgreen: Now, either 23-24mm rims are better, or it's just a stupid trend followed by everyone and all the professional cycling teams just went nuts following a stupid trend... LOL

A wider rim will give you the curvature and lower rolling resistance of a 25mm tire, with the weight of a 23mm tire.
Also, the setion will be closer to a semi-circunference, rather than to a 3/4 circunference, whihc is much more stable. Just like a moto gp tire: uber wide section and very very low profile. welcome to the future!!!

BTW, do you guys have a link to the literature that demostrates that STI levers are better than shifting levers on the frame? Cause i think that is a weird trend too. shifting levers on the frame are not just better, but lighter. Look at armstrong bike, he didn't use STI levers for the front ring... LOL
Happy Trails !!!

astranoc

by astranoc

I have to add another positive experience dealing with Farsports. Both Kyle and Johnson were extremely helpful before and after I placed my order. After they build the wheels they emailed me pictures of them to verify that they are as I want them. And then it was only a week before they arrived in my door, 10.000 kms away.

As for the wheels themselves, the finish looks fine, they are true and as for the weight..

I ll report back with a ride report.

addictR1

by addictR1

astranoc: wow.. what's your setup on these farsport wheelset? both front and rear weight is only 973g? do tell which type of spokes, wheelset, hubs you choose to get this weight. that's superlight... or is this a tubular version?

astranoc

by astranoc

They are 24mm tubs, with edhub ceramics and cx ray spokes. You can go lighter with 20mm but I didn't want to risk it with my weight.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

did they have advise or to your knowledge have a weight limit astranoc?

astranoc

by astranoc

Kyle was very helpful with this. I am 78kgs and wanted to go for the 20mm but he suggested the 24mm just to have an ease of mind more than anything.

eric

by eric

I have a set of the 24mm tubs from last year, with hubsmith hubs. They're 960g. The rims are surprisingly stiff, but to be honest I was expecting the wheels to be super flexy. I did need to retension the wheels as the spokes were a bit loose. The braking surfaces are very even and braking is good with Reynolds blue pads.

tharmor

by tharmor

astranoc wrote:Kyle was very helpful with this. I am 78kgs and wanted to go for the 20mm but he suggested the 24mm just to have an ease of mind more than anything.

What was the quoted weight limit Kyle gave you?

And, what was the total cost shipped, if you don't mind divulging that info.

liam7020

by liam7020

Quick question - is the Campag version of these wheels compatible with 11 speed? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

astranoc

by astranoc

He said 85kgs for the 20mm but he had heavier customers using them without issues. The weigh difference is +30gr for the 24mm so I decided to play it safer and leave the 20mm for skinnier fellas. Shipping was 85$ to Ireland.

tranquilo

by tranquilo

Hi!
In this forum's experiences, how much time did it take to the wheels to be ready to ship? I made the payment almost 3 weeks ago and they're still not ready :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Experience is a week from Farsports, email them to find out.