Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Murphs

by Murphs

I have a set of 60/88mm tubs w/ Basalt braking surface, had some minor spoke pinging when they were new, but have had that with every wheelset I've ever used.

Been great but I don't use them enough unfortunately (once or twice this year only)

Krackor

by Krackor

rowdysluggins wrote:@Nismo4x4: According to Kyle the brake surface on the new FSC38-CM is basalt + 220 degree brake resin combined.

I got an email today from Smart saying that he has the FSC50-CM-25 with either the high temp brake track, or the combo basalt + high temp. I'm still not clear on which one is supposed to work the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

I'm about to order a set of FSC38-CM as i can see here. People are happy with them. But what do they cost?
The wont give me a price. I'm looking forward to these wheels!

trychle

by trychle

I payed about 660 usd, including shipping (which was 90 usd for the Netherlands).

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Prices available on wheelsfar.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Elrey wrote:I'm about to order a set of FSC38-CM as i can see here. People are happy with them. But what do they cost?
The wont give me a price. I'm looking forward to these wheels!

Two months ago, I got quoted a price of $328 plus shipping - rims only for the updated version.

Have over 1400 trouble-free miles on the wheelset I had built locally in March 2013 using the predecessor version of these lightweight rims
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

My 38mm farsports clinchers are now built up w/ extralite hubs and cx-rays. 20/24, 1166g (without veloplugs). Pics to follow. They are heavier than my enve 1.45's laced to extralite hubs, but those are tubular (and 990g for the set).
Speedplay is the devil!

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Well done mdeth. That is one light set of clinchers.
It's hard to compare tubulars, which I figure get at least a 200g advantage out of the gate.
Those clinchers are still probably lighter than a lot of "performance tubulars".

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

rowdysluggins wrote:Well done mdeth. That is one light set of clinchers.
It's hard to compare tubulars, which I figure get at least a 200g advantage out of the gate.
Those clinchers are still probably lighter than a lot of "performance tubulars".

Thanks- can't wait to ride them. Looks like the veloplugs are adding 6g, so 1172g is freaking awesome. I've done really well w/ extralite hubs- the enve tubulars are 3.5 years old and they were trued once that entire time- when they were built. Other than routine maintenance and a couple of bearings changed out, they've been trouble free.
Speedplay is the devil!

eric

by eric

What are the DS spokes tensioned to? The manual for the hubs says 100kgf max, which concerns me as I normally take the DS spokes to 110 or preferably 120 to get the NDS spoke tension to a reasonable number.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

mdeth1313 wrote:My 38mm farsports clinchers are now built up w/ extralite hubs and cx-rays. 20/24, 1166g (without veloplugs). Pics to follow....

I know this is doable because my set with Novatec SL hubs came in at 1266...I just wanted to ask why spend more than twice as much on hubs compared to rims? Race day only?
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

eric wrote:What are the DS spokes tensioned to? The manual for the hubs says 100kgf max, which concerns me as I normally take the DS spokes to 110 or preferably 120 to get the NDS spoke tension to a reasonable number.

I asked Farsports what tension they build to on the 38s with Novatec hubs (radial front and 2x rear) and what they said was "95kfg of front spoke tension, 85kfg for non drive side rear and 135kfg for drive side...."

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

carlislegeorge wrote:
mdeth1313 wrote:My 38mm farsports clinchers are now built up w/ extralite hubs and cx-rays. 20/24, 1166g (without veloplugs). Pics to follow....

I know this is doable because my set with Novatec SL hubs came in at 1266...I just wanted to ask why spend more than twice as much on hubs compared to rims? Race day only?

I had them already. I picked up them up built up w/ ti spokes and kinlin 270's on ebay. They weren't very stiff, but I picked them up at an awesome price. I had some money leftover from selling a TT bike and figured I'd give them a proper build-- got the rims and then had it built up.
Speedplay is the devil!

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

here my set of 24mm carbon tubular disc wheelset

:thumbup: almost 600 km done, wonderful feeling

gulp ...no more able to post a picture :noidea:
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

i wonder how's everyone's basalt brake tracks after x # of miles or km ridden...

i checked on mine and noticed some part looks smooth and not rough like before... i've only put about 150 miles or so on them. they still stop on a dime.. but just wondering if the smooth part meant the basalt is gone? :?