Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matteof93

by matteof93

mrlobber wrote:Rode the Maratona on Farsports 24mm bitex / cxray 20/24 build + Veloflex tubs two years ago (my weight is also around 74-75). Didn't like the road quality either, but went both up as well as bombed down the descents on the wheels happily. Haven't been to high mountains on them ever since (unfortunately) though.
Thanks for the reply. I would use them as every-day wheels, no races or granfondo like Maratona delle Dolomiti...i usually do 1000m of elevation each 50km, hardest rides are around 5000m\6000m (elevation) x 250-300km (for example in a couple of weeks i should do a 250km x 5000m ride with Colle dell'Agnello, Col d'Izoard, Col de Montgenèvre, Colle del Sestriere)

many people told me that they would use farsport (or any other chinese brand) 24mm low profile carbon wheels only for uphill TT (in italy we say "cronoscalata") because they are extremely light (1065g pair) but they would not use them for long rides along alpine climbs because these wheels are "extreme" so they are quite fragile. the worst thing would be to break the rim because of a hole on the tarmac, it can be extremely dangerous especially when descending at 60-70 km\h and i suppose it is not a remote option if the maximum weight is 85kg and i am 75kg (things would be different for a rider of 60kg).

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I understand. Personally, I tend to start worrying above 70 km/h regardless of the wheels I'm riding ;) :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matteof93

by matteof93

mrlobber wrote:I understand. Personally, I tend to start worrying above 70 km/h regardless of the wheels I'm riding ;) :D
You're right, especially with my current setup (clinchers)

eric

by eric

I have a set of 24mm tubular FarSports that I only use for uphill races. But that's due to the hassle of changing a tubular on the road, and the fact that carrying a tubular pretty much negates the weight advantage of tubular wheels. The wheels themselves are not unduly flexy and the braking is better than any carbon clincher I've used.

For longer events I use FarSports clinchers (38mm or 50mm). The mountain races and rides in the California Sierra Nevada mountains usually do not have super technical descents like in the coast range where I live- though they can be fast (I've hit 85 km/h). So there's not that much worry about braking heat on the clinchers.

matteof93

by matteof93

eric wrote:I have a set of 24mm tubular FarSports that I only use for uphill races. But that's due to the hassle of changing a tubular on the road, and the fact that carrying a tubular pretty much negates the weight advantage of tubular wheels. The wheels themselves are not unduly flexy and the braking is better than any carbon clincher I've used.

For longer events I use FarSports clinchers (38mm or 50mm). The mountain races and rides in the California Sierra Nevada mountains usually do not have super technical descents like in the coast range where I live- though they can be fast (I've hit 85 km/h). So there's not that much worry about braking heat on the clinchers.
I do not worry about heat, in fact i ride tubulars that are safer than clinchers because the braking surface is not compressed between the pads and the inner tube.

I worry about structural failures of the wheel, especially of the rim because of its lightness (260 grams) and because of my weight (75kg) that is quite close to the maximum weight recommended (85kg).

AE86Micah

by AE86Micah

I bought a set of the 38mm clinchers about a year ago, have put about 5k miles on them and have not had one issue. Lots of climbing, descending, and hard braking. Wet, dry, hot, crazy cold, you name it, these wheels have seen it.
I have several other sets of "name brand" carbon wheels, and if a blind comparison, I think I would pick these to be honest.

simnorm

by simnorm

i have only just above 700KM on my 23mm U shape tubeless compatible wheels. It looks like the basalt is wearing off at several spots all around the front rim. I'm using their FSE black ceramic pads. There's now some slight pulsing when braking.

The rear rim isn't as bad, but there's a bubble a few mm away from the track. It looks like the top UD layer isn't bonded properly, Kyle told me not to worry about it. It doesn't seem to get any worse,

Video of the bubble (44MB)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... bubble.avi

addictR1

by addictR1

This is my u shaped 38mm clinchers from FS using the pads they provided. It had their high heat treated basalt surface.

Had to make an emergency stop to prevent a crash... Afterward the wheels rubbed when out of saddle sprint. LBS checked and its all bubbled up.

This had extremely low mileage 300 miles or less on it.[emoji31]

Emailed Kyle to see if he can help out. My first set was their v shaped version and the brake track cracked under braking, sine that one didn't have the basalt high heat. But I had at least 1.5k miles on them. Just surprised this one fail so early.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matteof93

by matteof93

addictR1 wrote:This is my u shaped 38mm clinchers from FS using the pads they provided. It had their high heat treated basalt surface.

Had to make an emergency stop to prevent a crash... Afterward the wheels rubbed when out of saddle sprint. LBS checked and its all bubbled up.

This had extremely low mileage 300 miles or less on it.[emoji31]

Emailed Kyle to see if he can help out. My first set was their v shaped version and the brake track cracked under braking, sine that one didn't have the basalt high heat. But I had at least 1.5k miles on them. Just surprised this one fail so early.

ImageImage

this is normal when using carbon clincher wheels, especially if you ride on steep and long descents. for this reason i bought tubular carbon wheels and not the clincher version.

ms6073

by ms6073

addictR1 wrote:This had extremely low mileage 300 miles or less on it.[emoji31]

Two things stand out. I think your brake pads are mounted to far out on the brake track. Also, have you tried cleaning the brake track with white spirits or similar cleaner? While that may be carbon from the rim, I am thinking that those bits/bumps in the images are possibly bits of melted brake pad.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

addictR1

by addictR1

ms6073, my lbs checked.. Those weren't from the pads. [emoji31]

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Dude addictR1 that's a total bummer.

I'm approaching 42k miles on my 38mm's and outside of a spoke replacement (created someone crashing into me), I've had zero problems.
The only thing I'm starting to see now, after 42000 miles, is the brake track starting to wear thin. Maybe I don't brake enough! :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

Prend: yea I'm bummed by it. They make great climbing clinchers too... Sigh...

Update: reached out to Kyle from FS and after multiple emails back and forth, asking for invoice, filing complaint sheet... the end result suggestion was for me to buy another rear wheel. :roll:

simnorm

by simnorm

Is this still safe to ride? I've triple checked and my pads are adjusted correctly. I wrote to Kyle...

simnorm

by simnorm

I've got less than 1000 miles on mine. Anyone else would still ride this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com