Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motormouth

by motormouth

I thought the ceramic bearings were the ones with the issue?

Did you contact Far Sports about getting replacement bearings? I wonder if the ceramic and alloy bbs are interchangeable?

Eric has that good info :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

eric,

I would love to see that thread about bearing maintenance for the Bitex/Edhubs. My search foo didn't turn up anything.

random101

by random101

Glad I paid the extra $300 to go DTswiss :/

eric

by eric

trex021 wrote:eric,

I would love to see that thread about bearing maintenance for the Bitex/Edhubs. My search foo didn't turn up anything.

That's because the thread was about bearing presses: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=126124

trex021

by trex021

Thank you, Eric!

WheelTester

by WheelTester

random101 wrote:Glad I paid the extra $300 to go DTswiss :/

yea, i am pissed.

TedStriker

by TedStriker

What's the general consensus on the novatec hubs? Really that bad?!

ms6073

by ms6073

Although I have only owned the disc brake hubs, other than similar experiences with really short bearing life, the hubs themselves are pretty solid. Of the 8 wheelsets we have gotten from Light Bike and Far Sports with Novatech D711SB/D712SB-10 hubs, nearly all of the stock bearings were running rough after less than 8-10 hours of wet/muddy (gravel path/cyclocross) riding conditions which was easily solved by replacement with Enduro Zero series hybrid ceramics. The only other thing I can think of is that due to hub shell width, and I am unsure of the exact point in time, but Novatech road and disc hubs manufactured prior to early to mid-year 2013 are not and never will be 11-speed compatible - hence the D712SB-10 and D712SB-11 model numbers!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

nickf

by nickf

It comes down to bearing quality. My Williams wheels ceramics lasted a long time. Those hubs are just a run of the mill china hubs. After a couple years use i replaced the ceramics with standard stainless enduro bearings. They are already crunchy after just a few months. Going to try the ceramics next time.

spud

by spud

well, it's more than bearing quality. it is also dependent on hub shell dimensions and accuracy. Lousy dimensional accuracy can equal bad bearing alignment or inappropriate preload, which will destroy any bearing, regardless of material or manufacturer.

Not saying that's the case here, but most people (including me) aren't equipped to accurately measure dimensions, especially before buying the hubs.

liam7020

by liam7020

Is Kyle still the go-to guy when ordering from Farsports? Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I have dealt with Angela (sales4@farsports.cn) and Sandy (sales3@farsports.cn). Both answered questions within a day or two, at peak business hours sometimes multiple times a day within an hour or two (usually afternoon/evening PST for me, so morning in CN). Both clarified wheel spec and pricing questions, and clearing up order details.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

also, has anybody here ordered some of the 24mm deep carbon clincher wheelsets for 1190g with edhubs. I'm looking for a climbing wheelset, and that is pretty impressive mass for a clincher wheelset.

liam7020

by liam7020

Thanks for that info wojchiech.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Foil30

by Foil30

My is Fsc50-tm. I got edhub too but only 200 plus miles on it. Prior to ordering I mention about edhub problem on this forum to kyle but he suggested edhub is much superior than bitex. I took his advice and kept edhub..hopefully it won't be a problem