Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sachelis

by Sachelis

huddini wrote:
stevod wrote:Has anybody had any luck contacting Far Sports with issues with their wheels?

I've been riding mine happily for a while but I think there's a problem with one of the rims so I've stopped riding them. I've emailed them for assistance including pictures and so on, but no reply. Sent again a week later, no reply. I sent to Sandy, Mae and Windy, who were the three contacts that assisted me during the buying process.

If anyone knows of another contact I should use please let me know. I would like to sort this out with them directly.

Cheers...

When you write about buying, they answer with in 24 hours. Wrote em about problems twice, but never had a reply on that. Even using the same email address.

When I send them email, even this morning, it is rejected with the message shown below. (FWIW, the "IP frequency limited" message usually means they are blocking an IP address because it has sent too many spam messages. That jibes with the comment that they were having a problem with a spam filter, but it doesn't appear to be fixed.)

Code: Select all

Failed Recipient: info@farsports.cn
Reason: Remote host said: 550 Ip frequency limited. http://service.mail.qq.com/cgi-bin/help?subtype=1&&id=20022&&no=1000725

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Same here, Kyle shot me a note yesterday
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sachelis

by Sachelis

I ordered a set of 60CM/88CM-25's Far Sports wheels--my first carbon wheels... What do people suggest for rim tape/plugs?

wtm0325

by wtm0325

Good day all master

I found the rear wheels flex when off saddle, The flex is more towards the Drive Side, brake pad-brake track gap is ~2mm each side..

May I ask:
1) Is the flex caused by the hub? <flange not big/wide enuf
2) any idea how to solve it?

Here's my wheels specification:
Type: Carbon Clincher (Max recommended spoke tension 130kgf, Max Recommended Tire Pressure 120psi)
Depth & Width: 50mm & 25mm (U Shape)
Hub & Color: Novatec A291SB/F482SB (Black Color)
Spoke & Nipple: Pillar1420 (Front 20 / Rear 24)
Spoke Tension: Front ~75kgf, Rear NDS ~60kgf, DS ~120kgf (by parktools)
Lacing: Front Radial, Rear NDS-Radial, DS-Cross

Thanks for reading :D

wtm0325

by wtm0325

Here are the drawings:
*sorry for the bad drawing haha

dmulligan

by dmulligan

This is a great article on the subject: Debunking Wheel Stiffness

resurtm

by resurtm

Hello!

I'm interested in Yoeleo wheels' carbon braking surface reviews. Anyone has opinion on them? I'm planning to descent on road with 10—15% gradient, including rainy weather and wet conditions. Would they work? Should I start searching for the rims with alloy braking surface?

I appreciate any advices and help!

Cheers.

Rick

by Rick

dmulligan wrote:This is a great article on the subject: Debunking Wheel Stiffness

Great article! Thanks!
One of my pet peeves over the years has been wheels with overtensioned spokes, most from factory builds, but some custom builders also make a big deal about getting "highly tensioned wheels".
From the article:
Last, spoke stiffness is determined – to a degree – by their tension. We’re not going to beat this one to death; as you can guess, loose spokes make for a flimsy wheel. Within a ‘normal’ range of spoke tension, wheel stiffness is unaffected.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

The spokes will be losing a LOT of tension when you inflate the clincher tyre.

Measure the tension before inflating and after. You will be shocked.

The flange spacing and general quality of the rim will also play a part in this, but it is mainly the tension drop caused by the clincher system.

This is unavoidable, without a drastic redesign of the clincher rim system.

It just so happens that I have designed a new rim standard to deal with this... just need someone to make me a prototype...

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Recently in the wheel building thread someone discovered first hand that even having a tyre mounted will cause a large drop in spoke tension.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

theremery

by theremery

Re Xiamen far....Kyle used to be my go-to guy but I am looking to shift from him. The rims are good in some builds but I had an 88mm fall to pieces pathetically easily and Kyle was slow to reply. I forgot about it and it went off it's warranty time so I paid for manufacture and shipping of a second one...which promptly failed (at least the second rim had a chance, the first one was not even drilled correctly 2:1 internal as per custom spec).
I wanted to order (new order) a front windy day rim for my G/f and some sapim cx-rays and a replacement 50mm for a recently crashed 50mm....I had to ask Sandy to prompt him to respond ( Which he finally did....but I'm over that BS....it's just poor service ).
Who else has been good to deal with there?....and where else can I shop for rims that will customise things like:
u-shaped 23mm, high temp resin (and be legit about it!) basalt brake track, internal nipple, 3K Matt 20H 1:1 drill.
^ being clear about what you want is critical and they need a better ordering system as emails back and forth are painful.
Thoughts?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Marin

by Marin

Better order tracking would be great for all chinese suppliers.

theremery

by theremery

yeah...that's it....they've just emailed back and said I have a small postage cost for the second (replacement) rim that fail$39 USD (postage) to do so, but none of my money will go their way again, nor my recommendation (which will cost them another set over the holiday break plus the 2 rims and spokes I wanted to order tonight)....Grrrrrrr!!!!!!
Recommendations, people?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Anyone that has been using a 24mm or 30mm deep set of wheels that is of my size that can give me feedback on durability and performance? Bike + biker system will be 100-102 kilos.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Kupepe wrote:Anyone that has been using a 24mm or 30mm deep set of wheels that is of my size that can give me feedback on durability and performance? Bike + biker system will be 100-102 kilos.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Why would you consider wheels that are so shallow? 55 to 60mm deep wheels aren't that much heavier and provide significant aero benefits. They are also stiffer to boot.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk