Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

ruffneck wrote:I intend to run them on IRC Roadlite tubeless 25mm tyres. I'll report back once i get them and again when i have some miles run on them.
/R

Tx I'm curious to see how well the carbon clincher holds air with a nice tubeless tire on it. Will you use stan's tape?

ruffneck

by ruffneck

I bought tape, valve stem and sealant from Orange Seal. So it'll be interesting to see how it all works out. One good thing about the OS valvestems is that there are ready 60 and 80mm lengths of it, so you don't have to screw around with extenders..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ruffneck

by ruffneck

Update. My plan was to use Orange seal rimtape and valve stems. The rimtape is 18mm wide, which is too narrow for these rims. Even when i put 2 layers of it, it would not hold tight. The valve stems comes with 2 o-rings, one larger which is supposed to be inside the rim and one smaller which comes under the nut that locks the stem. The larger o-ring is too big for this rim and will not hold tight. So after a lot of frustration i sent those to the bin. I ordered Stans 21mm wide rimtape, 44mm long valve stems and Stans valve extenders.

I finished applying the rimtape a couple of hours ago. I also did as Stans informed, after the rimtape is applied put the Tubeless tire with a regular tube in it and inflate to secure the tape. To get the inner tube out was a nightmare. Then i installed the valve stems, tightened, soaped and pumped air. With a regular floor pump. And presto, the tire started to pop and i stopped pumping at 100psi. I'll let them be like that over the night. Left to do is to empty air out from them, remove the valve, add sealant and then pump up again. And of course testride them :)

For the rims, the quality is excellent, straight and true. Farsports did promise spare spokes, but i found none in the package. I emailed back to them, and they wanted 32USD for shipping them to me. I said that i will not pay anything and that they need to ship the missing spokes asap.
Let's see where that ends.

I'll report back once i get some testrides done.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I own 2 sets of FS wheels and really had no problems with the wheels. However I also have never received "extra set of spokes" on either of my orders. If I need them I plan on visiting my local wheel builder.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, just ask them for the spoke lengths and buy the CX Ray replacement spokes if/when you need them. Hopefully the wheels are properly tensioned (check them; mine weren't) and you won't break any spokes.

liam7020

by liam7020

Without reading through all 65 pages, does anybody have this model of 50mm clincher from Farsports:

http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-141.html

and if so can they give me an exact weight? Many thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

SpinMill

by SpinMill

Has anyone compared the 50mm U-shape wheels from Far Sports to these at VeloBuild:

http://www.velobuildmall.com/vb-rw-50-2 ... 25mm-wide/

http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-141.html

Main difference I see is 25mm wide vs 20.5mm wide, aside from price which is not listed at Far Sports. How much are the 50mm's running you guys?

Looking to pick up a set this month.
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL
2012 Cannondale SL3
Peugeot Pipeline Plus

eric

by eric

I think FarSports has wider 50mm clinchers available. Ask.
FarSport rims come in N and M versions. M is cheaper and heavier.

The FarSports price depends on the hubs you chose. The velobuild hubs are cheap ones.

The weight on the VeloBuild wheels is funky. If the rims are really 435g the wheels should be much lighter.

Both sets of FarSport wheels I've gotten, plus an additional set of rims, came in under the claimed weight.

SpinMill

by SpinMill

Thanks for the quick response Eric.

I see that the N versions don't have the new "U-Shape", so I was looking at those.

Are these the ones most people go with for a 50mm wheel, FSC50-CN? http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-111.html

What are the hub choices? I saw a post with DT Swiss's, I'm assuming those are the best they offer?
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL
2012 Cannondale SL3
Peugeot Pipeline Plus

SpinMill

by SpinMill

Just wanted to post a link to wheels w/ prices

Here is the 50mm U shape with DT Swiss hubs, its $912: http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/cl ... elset.html

For that price you can basically get a used set of Zipp's on the Bay. Food for thought.
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL
2012 Cannondale SL3
Peugeot Pipeline Plus

liam7020

by liam7020

Of course that's assuming Zipp are better wheels......
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm pretty sure Zipp makes quality stuff.. but i wouldn't buy used carbon wheels.. cuz 1) u never know if some internal cracks that you dont' see from outside and 2) how many miles is left on the brake track assuming previous owner didn't ride the brakes.

i have 2 sets of FS wheels and recommended 3 of my friends to also use FS Wheelset... they all love it and ride the crap out of it. for $6xx.xx per set if you can get good mileage out of them for 2-3 yrs.. it's way more than worth it IMO.

bura

by bura

@ruffneck: first time I see FS wheels with the powerray 36 hubs. Where did you buy them?
I have one pair of their 38C wheels and several mates purchased other builds. "Spare spokes" is something we did hear nothing till today fm FS.
What's the clue?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

addictR1 wrote:i'm pretty sure Zipp makes quality stuff.. but i wouldn't buy used carbon wheels.. cuz 1) u never know if some internal cracks that you dont' see from outside and 2) how many miles is left on the brake track assuming previous owner didn't ride the brakes.

i have 2 sets of FS wheels and recommended 3 of my friends to also use FS Wheelset... they all love it and ride the crap out of it. for $6xx.xx per set if you can get good mileage out of them for 2-3 yrs.. it's way more than worth it IMO.

... and if they used the correct brakes.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

bura

by bura

@ ruffneck: Curious to hear your reply to my question of Sep28th.
Further interested in your report after some test rides.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com