Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I have 1500 miles on my wheels "with basalt" and on close inspection they do look and feel somewhat "smoother" but braking has yet to be an issue for me. Using Black Prince pads only. FWIW I don't recall exactly how the brake track felt when new, but here are some comparison pics:

new

@ 1500 miles:

2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

@carlislegeorge: that's exactly like mine! except i used the blue pad that came with my farsport 38. i'm just surprise how come it start to rub off so easily? before it had a sandy rough feel to it. you can obviously feel there's a layer on top of the carbon rim.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Mine look the same also, only 100 miles on mine.
Black prince pads on mine
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

addictR1 wrote:@carlislegeorge: that's exactly like mine! except i used the blue pad that came with my farsport 38. i'm just surprise how come it start to rub off so easily? before it had a sandy rough feel to it. you can obviously feel there's a layer on top of the carbon rim.

even brand new, it's a pretty small amount of basalt material as far as i can tell...you can draw your own conclusions from my photos. i'm not sure how, or when in the process, it gets applied. even if i have to occasionally brake to a stop on downhills my brakes haven't ever given me cause for concern or worry.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

addictR1

by addictR1

so far, no issue with stopping for sure. hope it keeps it that way... :) otherwise, i might have the right excuse for a set of MadFiber; which i'm sure wifey will not appreciate.. but it's a necessity right? lol...

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

The bassalt seems to be holding up really well. I wonder how much the Black Prince pads have to do with it.

Murphs

by Murphs

IIRC it's Basalt fibre, not a coating.

bura

by bura

@nismo4x4: I do not think that the SS BPrince have to do anything with this. They may be good pads but again it is turning into a hype.
The Reynolds blue pads are durable,stopping well , treating your FS rims good and are a bunch cheaper.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

bura wrote:@nismo4x4: I do not think that the SS BPrince have to do anything with this. They may be good pads but again it is turning into a hype.
The Reynolds blue pads are durable,stopping well , treating your FS rims good and are a bunch cheaper.

I've used both- they're both very good. I can't tell the difference. The only reason I bought the Swissstop this time is I had a bunch of those rewards points from an online seller and they don't carry the reynolds pads. With all my points it came out to less money than the reynolds.
Speedplay is the devil!

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

I guess Swiss Stop's claims of much lower temperatures compared to the yellow king pads are what enticed me most.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Very sad, but only option on a stealth bike!!!

bura

by bura

@beancounter: The SS BP pads? Come on! Here are my Reynolds blue pads on a semi black bike. Pads painted black except rim contact surface.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

They're both really great pads. I think the BP has a slight edge over the Reynolds Blue from experience on steeper descents, but in the end they're so close to parity with each other it's almost a wash. I'm currently using the BP, but once those run through I'll be back on the Reynolds Blue (or non-branded FarSports equivalent) until I can find the BP at a good price again. It really is almost a wash.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

prendrefeu, you had your rims longer than most of us here, so how's your basalt surface? does it look like what carlislegeorge posted? i know you ride a lot of hills and because of your in-depth review i got mine and i love it~

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

They're pretty much the same as carlislegeorge posted earlier, except a wee bit more 'shiny' from braking and I believe, off the top of my head, that I'm hovering over 9,300mi (rough calculation) on the wheels since starting to use them last September. Despite at times deplorable road conditions, I've never needed to true them, never had any lack of confidence in their braking surface, and have never had any issues to speak of. Side-side deflection hasn't changed... everything is actually quite perfect so far. The hubs are still spinning buttery smooth, too. Suffice to say, I'm super happy with these wheels.

I'll post pictures of the brake surface after 9,300mi tomorrow when I get back from my morning ride and there will hopefully be a bit of daylight. I should probably also update that review thread just for the sake of it all.

edit: since no one else posted between now and then, I might as well edit this post with the photo I've just taken a few moments ago of the front rim. Rear rim has just slightly less of this appearance, but after so many miles they're sort of looking the same.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com