Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

my point is that farsport is not different from any other sellers from aliexpress, so just pick the cheapest and go from there. Don't get your hopes up if there is qc issues, you pay for what you get, sometime you get lucky and sometime you don't. I had a rim started to split apart due to faulty epoxy job after 100 miles, their solution was to buy another wheel from them. if you really care about qc and support get a enve or zipp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kyleFu

by kyleFu

Have been engaged in carbon rims and wheels since 2007, Farsports is growing at the rate that is expected.
Through years' efforts and continual supports from customers we are honor and able to use Sapim spokes, have direct or indirect close cooperation with brands like DT,Chris king,Extralite,EDCO,Carbon TI, Swissstop etc....

To well match brands, compared with other suppliers we are more care about quality, generations of rims are moulded and upgraded, and we are more willing to take in new concepts and tech.

Well, above seems digression.
Finding posts about complaint, I am sure we pay much attention on warranty.
In my experience, case that is not well or timely handled might be caused by followings.

Language barrier, as it is not English local speaker as well as part of customers, misunderstanding and not very effective communication might be caused.
Time lag, 6-15 hours time difference to some extend impact on complaints handling progress.
Emails with large files or vedio have a big possibility into our Spam Box, luckily will be found some days later, unluckily cannot reach us sucessfully.
Complaints varies from simple to complex, issue visable to invisable.

Except emails, hope more and more tools will be used to enssure instant contact like skype, what'spp, msn, facebook, etc, which can be seen at our email singature.
The more interaction the better will be.
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

trex021

by trex021

I've got to chime in with my experience.

I bought the Farsports 50mm U-Shaped clinchers in July 2014. I loved them. They were fast and light. I used them for longer rides at first and then I just used them for events. Mostly because changing them out from my aluminum rims is a bit of a hassle. I estimate I've got ~ 2000 miles on them. I live in a very flat area so no long descents and I take very good care of them. I can't remember ever going over a pothole on them.

I went to put them on for an event in late July and when I inflated the tire on the rear rim there was a LARGE bulge in the brake track. I wish I would have taken a picture but it was alarming and of course I couldn't use them.

I emailed Kyle. He was responsive but I was past the warranty period so my only avenue was to buy a new rim if I wanted to have a set of Farsports carbon clinchers. I did buy one and I had my lbs lace the old hub on the new rim. The whole thing was not cheap.

Anyway, I've held off posting here because I wanted to saw the old rim at the failure point to see what caused the problem.

And there you have it

AJS914

by AJS914

The bulge was on the left side? It looks like the brake track delaminated from the rest of the structure or, it probably wasn't ever bonded up correctly.

I came very close to buying some chinese rims. I'm glad I didn't and I will just stay away. There just isn't enough engineering and quality control involved with these products for my safety and comfort level.
Last edited by AJS914 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

trex021

by trex021

Yes, the left.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

:unbelievable: :unbelievable: :unbelievable:
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

At first I had thought the dark line on the left is just discolored carbon. Now I understand it's actually a void.

For those who decided to buy a new rim when your broken rim is out of warranty, why buy again when you know there's a high chance of failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trex021

by trex021

pdlpsher1, yeah I hear you.

I was faced with a decision: Spend ~$250 for the new rim and lacing vs. ~ $1200 (for Williams carbon clinchers for example).

Maybe I should have my head examined. There's a good chance I threw good money after bad. I just wasn't willing to spend > $1000 at the time. As simple as that.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Seems they have a brand new product line. Looks good, but massive price increases. Rim prices now puts them close to MCFK and Schmolke.

http://fse.bike/

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Those are FSE wheels and have nothing to do with Farsports. Different price category completely. Similar to Boyds, Williams, and November wheels. My wife "borrowed" my Boyd wheels and I never got them back. That's why I tried the Farsports rims and have been pleased with them so far.

Francois_Viviers wrote:Seems they have a brand new product line. Looks good, but massive price increases. Rim prices now puts them close to MCFK and Schmolke.

http://fse.bike/

Tomstr

by Tomstr

That FSE looks to be a different company. Their rims seem to be filament wound, much like the Venn rims I believe. I wonder if there is some overlap.
Ride it like you stole it

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

On closer inspection it seems it might be a different company. But that logo looks very similar to the Farsports wheel decals

https://www.wheelsfar.com/media/catalog ... g_1527.jpg

and they use the FSE 260 Farsports hub

And just checked further : farsportsusa.com and fse.bike are both hosted on a server with the same IP address...

Bluechip

by Bluechip

That's interesting. There might be a connection after all.

AJS914

by AJS914

Interesting. Funny how FSE trashes the other way of manufacturing carbon rims.

"Old Carbon Fiber Method

Error prone hand carbon layup involving 20+ steps, 32+ separate pieces that all need gluing and baking in multiple passes. No consistency from rim to rim."

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Exact samething happened to mine, at least you got 2000mi out of them, mine happened in 100mi. It is just poor QC or cheap epoxy to save cost.

trex021 wrote:I've got to chime in with my experience.

I bought the Farsports 50mm U-Shaped clinchers in July 2014. I loved them. They were fast and light. I used them for longer rides at first and then I just used them for events. Mostly because changing them out from my aluminum rims is a bit of a hassle. I estimate I've got ~ 2000 miles on them. I live in a very flat area so no long descents and I take very good care of them. I can't remember ever going over a pothole on them.

I went to put them on for an event in late July and when I inflated the tire on the rear rim there was a LARGE bulge in the brake track. I wish I would have taken a picture but it was alarming and of course I couldn't use them.

I emailed Kyle. He was responsive but I was past the warranty period so my only avenue was to buy a new rim if I wanted to have a set of Farsports carbon clinchers. I did buy one and I had my lbs lace the old hub on the new rim. The whole thing was not cheap.

Anyway, I've held off posting here because I wanted to saw the old rim at the failure point to see what caused the problem.

And there you have it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com