Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theremery

by theremery

Reynolds Cryo Blue installed and run in for 200km more....Braking power has massively improved.
If you had been using cork type pads (or cork synthetics....i.e. the brown generic ones)....ditch them! The Reynolds are on a completely different level on these rims.
Kyle, can you get back to us about the pad/rim run-in time. Is that pad line-up related, or heat treating the rim related?
Thanks.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

kiskubai wrote:Hi Kyle,

My name is Andreas, and i just moved to Shenzhen recently. I am planning to visit several places where they manufacturing carbon bike parts, first of all probably i will go for a visit to Hong-Fu factory here in Shenzhen. I will write an article for the leading Hungarian online cycling page (Revomag.hu), and also im planning to make a discusson over here.
Andreas

Hello Andreas, of course, warmly welcome. you can contact me by email.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

theremery wrote:Kyle, can you get back to us about the pad/rim run-in time. Is that pad line-up related, or heat treating the rim related? Thanks.

Geoff, the versions marked on our instruction sheet are all proved/tested by us, and run good effects. In addition, This is for avoiding
some guys using wrong brake pads. Because we got feedbacks that they got problems for the track due to using brake pads(which cannot be matched for carbon wheels).
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

theremery

by theremery

That is not what I'm asking, Kyle. I absolutely agree that you should run the manufacturers recommended pads. I'm happy with the Reynolds CryoBlue performance. They are good (they have started squeeking a bit but the braking performance is good for a carbon rim).
What I am asking about is the 200km "break-in period" (see your companies instructions re setting the brakes up)
Is this 200km period to flatten the pads to the rim completely?
OR
Is the 200km period to "heat treat" the rim?

BTW I have now done about 500km on your company's rim (50mm clincher) and have now used it on "the tricky descent" round here. It has coped well and this is a very very good thing :) I am impressed so far.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

theremery wrote:That is not what I'm asking, Kyle. I absolutely agree that you should run the manufacturers recommended pads. I'm happy with the Reynolds CryoBlue performance. They are good (they have started squeeking a bit but the braking performance is good for a carbon rim).
What I am asking about is the 200km "break-in period" (see your companies instructions re setting the brakes up)
Is this 200km period to flatten the pads to the rim completely?
OR
Is the 200km period to "heat treat" the rim?

BTW I have now done about 500km on your company's rim (50mm clincher) and have now used it on "the tricky descent" round here. It has coped well and this is a very very good thing :) I am impressed so far.

Geoff, usually for new rims and pads, existing a run-in-period, in the early days, heat generated easier when braking and squeak much,
after 200KM-400KM riding, will feel better. to some extent, flatten pads to cooperate rims well.

Regarding rims, hahaaa, although i am confident in our rims and your proficient skills, everyone should take care the long term descend, especially for the tricky conditions.
FarSports carbon wheels

pcrispey

by pcrispey

I orderded a set of 38 mm light clincher today with Ed ceramic hubs.
kylefoo Any idea on the delivery time ?

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

pcrispey wrote:I orderded a set of 38 mm light clincher today with Ed ceramic hubs.
kylefoo Any idea on the delivery time ?

Pcrispey, i wonder who you contacted with? What you ordered if is our normal version, usually
5-7days needed i think. It depends on what rims finish and holes you choose?
FarSports carbon wheels

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

In the previous posts, i remembered some guys inquiried shimano 11sp, now we have them instock.
ED hub, ED ceramic hub, Bitex hub.
FarSports carbon wheels

olebole

by olebole

Any ideas of when the new u shaped rim profiles will be available?

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

olebole wrote:Any ideas of when the new u shaped rim profiles will be available?

Olebole, some depth have already available now, for example, 50mm*25mm width clincher, U shape.
FarSports carbon wheels

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Kylefoo, any estimated availability date for a 38mm tubular in the new profile or a 50mm tubular? Of course, what I'd really like is something in the 42-45mm depth range.... like the new Boyd 44 http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/ :)

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Kylefoo. Any idea when a wide (u shaped) 38mm clincher might be available. I thought I heard a rumour they are available from farsports, but can't seem to see them on your website. Thanks!

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

I am thinking about ordering the FSC50-CJ from Far Sports.

This is the new U-shaped 50mm tall and 24mm wide aero carbon rim that was introduced this year.

My proposed build for the rest of the components is below with my questions.

1) Rim: I have a posted a diagram that Mr. Hu of Farsports sent me - no questions there apart from weight.
2) Spoke holes: 20/24H Internal - I am assuming this means that there will be no spokes drilled through the clincher rim and thus allowing for tubless tires.
3) Hub: ED ceramic hub - does anyone have experiences with this hub or the Yuhub hub for straight pull spokes?
4) Spoke: Sapim CX-ray, black - if ED hub, I think they thread all of the spoke heads head in or head out but not alternating, correct?
5) Nipple: Sapim (SILS), black - no issue
6) Mounting Front wheel: 20 spokes radial - no issue
7) Mounting Rear wheel: 16 spokes drive side - 2X, 8 spokes non-drive side - radial - is the strongest spoke configuration? Can I assume that will be almost as strong as a 32 spoke rear wheel with 1:1 lacing since there will also be 16 spokes on the drive side?
8) The weight for this build is 1470g as opposed to 1330g for the 50mmx23mm V-shaped rim Cyclocross wheelset.

So, once again, if you all would be so kind, what do you think about the following questions:

1) Does anyone have experiences with the Yuhub hub for straight pull spokes? Would you recommend this hub over the ED hub for J-bend spokes?

2) For wheels built with the ED hub or equivalent with J-bend spokes, the spoke heads are all threaded head in or head out, correct? Has this been a problem?

3) Is the 2:1 16 spokes laced 2x on the drive side and 8 spokes laced radially recommended for an 8,9,10-speed Shimano/Sram wheelset?

Thanks for you help.

Mark
Attachments
FSJ-50CS-24.jpg
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

teleguy57 wrote:Kylefoo, any estimated availability date for a 38mm tubular in the new profile or a 50mm tubular? Of course, what I'd really like is something in the 42-45mm depth range.... like the new Boyd 44 http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/ :)

Teleguy, so far we have 50mm tubular 24mm width, "U" shape, Will send you section drawing by email. 38mm tubular may be will in our business line in the future.
FarSports carbon wheels

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

trillo1111 wrote:Kylefoo. Any idea when a wide (u shaped) 38mm clincher might be available. I thought I heard a rumour they are available from farsports, but can't seem to see them on your website. Thanks!

Trillo, so far our 38mm clincher*23mm width is not U shape, but we have 50mm*24mm width and 50mm*25mm width,
As plan goes, we will launch 38mm*20.5mm width U shape after March if thing goes smoothly.
FarSports carbon wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com