Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Believe they used a similar method to how Fulcrum build their Racing Zero's. The nipples are screwed with a ferrous screw, guided into place using a magnet. The ferrous/magnetic screw part is removed once the nipple is in place and the spokes are nipples screwed on.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

maxxevv wrote:Believe they used a similar method to how Fulcrum build their Racing Zero's. The nipples are screwed with a ferrous screw, guided into place using a magnet. The ferrous/magnetic screw part is removed once the nipple is in place and the spokes are nipples screwed on.

As shown in "How It's Made' on Discovery channel :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGm7pKx3rs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

kleinetako wrote:...

I ordered a set of their "cyclocross" 38x23 clinchers built up with Edhub (BHS Ultralight) and CX Ray. ...

ED are not the same as BHS unless something has changed recently. They have different flange spacings. I understand ED has better drive side spacing and better tension ratio.
r o y g b i v

eric

by eric

The Edhubs look similar to Bitex, which is who makes BHS's hubs. The front even has 4 small bearings like the BHS UL66. Do you know the flange spacing on the edhubs?

http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=692

kleinetako

by kleinetako

MisterNoChain wrote:ED are not the same as BHS unless something has changed recently.

Good to know. It's always hard to tell the manufacturer, and it looked/weighed pretty close, so I assumed both were Bitex Rar9.

As for getting in the nipples, How It's Made is right. Farsports sent me some assembly pics, and they do use magnets. The only difference is that they use a small piece of steel spoke on a string as a guide.

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

eric wrote:The Edhubs look similar to Bitex, which is who makes BHS's hubs. The front even has 4 small bearings like the BHS UL66. Do you know the flange spacing on the edhubs?

http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edhubs are exactly Bitex RAR9(http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/products_detail.php?t=507f06a88e8b7&p=5020db7a2e72f),flange spacing is 37.6/16.9(L/R), which is the same as RAR13(BHS hub). I have a RAR9 directly ordered from Bitex(I live in Taiwan), and the rear hub weighs 192g on my scale. My RAR9 has 4 Enduro 6802 bearings while RAR13 has one larger 6902 bearing in drive side hub body, that's the only difference of these two hubs and both have six pawls. I suppose if the rider is not too heavy, RAR9's or Edhubs should work just fine despite the smaller drive side bearing.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

ED(ceramic), Bitex hub 2:1ratio hubs are available. :D
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

kylefoo wrote:
BobSantini wrote:@kylefoo:
Do you sell the ED hubs separately?
Do you have their flange dimensions?:
front - pcd, centre left/right,
rear - pcd left, pcd right, centre left, centre right.

front:
left flange diameter:29.6mm
right flange diameter:29.6mm
WL, width from center to left: 33.7mm
WR, width from center to left: 33.7mm

rear:
left flange diameter:38.5mm
right flange diameter:49.5mm
WL, width from center to left: 36.5mm
WR, width from center to left: 18.5mm

Kyle posted me a drawing showing those dimensions were to centre lines of flanges but I suppose I'd be a fool not to assume there may be an error.

Can you clear this up Kyle?

BHS hub L/R is 37.75/16.75 according to BHS drawing
r o y g b i v

theremery

by theremery

20H rim all built up and it rides well. Braking is noisy (Ashimax pads) but reasonable tho perhaps not as good as Reynolds Assaults and X-Bikes VX-5C version 2 I've had on recently but the VX-5Cs don't count as they melted, then braking became un-useable!. I'll work them harder over the next week or so and keep reporting back. I hope to have the camshot camera mounted soon so I can compare fork bounce induced by braking surface irregularities over the next while (and quantify my braking levels to give a number that could begin to give a "they will fail at this point" value). My gut feeling is that this wheel is fine for use in flat areas and also definitely OK if you were on rolling terrain and small hills. A bigger hill would not necessarily be an issue unless you needed to come to a dead stop (this really builds heat and will localise it where the pads are when you stop completely). I haven't been keen to try them on the hardest descent nearby as this ends in a some reasonable braking into a decreasing radius turn that ends at a stop sign. The penalty for failure is a horrendous thought so there needs to be a bit more testing before I'll trust them on it.
All up, a positive start. Good stuff, Kyle :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

theremery wrote:20H rim all built up and it rides well. Braking is noisy (Ashimax pads) but reasonable tho perhaps not as good as Reynolds Assaults and X-Bikes VX-5C version 2 I've had on recently The penalty for failure is a horrendous thought so there needs to be a bit more testing before I'll trust them on it.
All up, a positive start. Good stuff, Kyle :)

Hello Geoff,

The Recommended and approved brake pads for our rims:
SwissStop yellow pads.
Farsports blue pads.
Reynolds blue pads.

Recommended braking aero for clincher 38mm, 50mm.
5mm lower from the circle edge, braking aero is about 11mm.
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

theremery

by theremery

The above (late information) is the first glitch in an otherwise happy event so far. Reynolds blue (said to be OK in an email Kyle rapidly sent when he realised his assistant had not sent me the tech-sheet) ARE NOW ON AND SEEM TO BE FUNCTIONING WELL.
Should something as important as "set up and pad use" have been omitted? Hell no!....so that is a serious issue that I hope farsports will put into their business practice. In this case, no damage appears to have been done.
Note: the farsports rim requires a 200km "break in period" for new rims and pads.
Kyle: Is this to help align the pad fully? or to "heat treat" the rim? Gentle heating of the rim and pad alignment are different issues and if it is pad alignment, this may effect how people chose to swap pads over from alloy to carbon.
If it's alignment then swapping a "whole shoe" (pad and holder) is a bad idea as it will need a new "bed in " time. Can you please confirm what the issue is with your tech department and get back to us. Cheers :)
-Geoff/The Remery.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

kylefoo wrote:Recommended braking aero for clincher 38mm, 50mm.
5mm lower from the circle edge, braking aero is about 11mm.

I don't get it :noidea: "braking aero"??? Is it a typo? I suppose Kyle meant braking area?

theremery

by theremery

....yeah....I took it as area.
They send a nice picture so you are sure to get it right, but basically just set it up quite low on the (wide) braking track....there is plenty of room for the 5mm gap.
One issue is that this means a bit of playing around if you a swapping wheel sets. I run 3 sets of wheels on this bike.
Reynolds Assaults (training clinchers, carbon, heavy, reliable).
My Chinese/Dash hybrid clinchers at about 1150g (light, 50mm ride really well but previous rim melting issues so used mainly on the flat ....in most ways, these are my "go to" wheels).
My light wheels (804g/pair.....climbers....reynold KOMs with Uli Fahl custom hubs and hand modifies spokes by Gunther Mai).
The issue?? The Reynolds rims run the brakes at the outer radius and shifting them in when I change wheels to the Chinese?Dash hybrids is a pain( and depending on Kyle's answer, may require a run in time of up to 200km again each time!).
Having to re run them in each time would be ridiculous and would set you as having these as your only set of wheels or a major task each time you swap wheels!

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

Guys, :D 50mm depth carbon wheels&rims with alloy brake track can be supplied now, according to some guys requirement&needs.
FarSports carbon wheels

kiskubai

by kiskubai

Hi Kyle,

My name is Andreas, and i just moved to Shenzhen recently. I am planning to visit several places where they manufacturing carbon bike parts, first of all probably i will go for a visit to Hong-Fu factory here in Shenzhen. I will write an article for the leading Hungarian online cycling page (Revomag.hu), and also im planning to make a discusson over here.

I think we all would be really excited to see how our weels made, and how a factory looks like. Is there any chance that i can take a visit in your factory after the chinese new year?

ps.: Keep up the good job with the exceptional customer service even here on this forum.

Andreas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com