Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

msvara

by msvara

Here is my recent experience with farsports. I purchased two sets of high end wheels, one set of 38mm carbon/alloy rim with cxrays and dtswiss hubs, the second all carbon U shaped all carbon rims, internal nipples cxrays and dtswiss hubs. Spent over $2000 on these two sets. The first set are amazing and am very happy with them. The second set I am not eased about. They were the 50mm u shaped for front and 60mm rears. The front rim is warped from factory. I went through having them rebuilt by a bike shop and both I and they confirmed the width of the clincher around the hole for the valve is slightly larger than other points on the rim. Farsports agreed to replace the rim so I filled out their complaint form and they confirmed a new rim would be sent. Because it's internal nipple it would take some time for the new rim to be ready. This was as the beginning of September. They said in 20 days a new rim would be shipped. To date nothing has been sent to me and they are not responding to emails. At this point I've pretty much written them off. Some people have had their rims replaced but even the new rims a re warped

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

@Juanmoretime: The brake pad is indeed supposed to be 5mm from the edge. I just received a new set of wheels from Kyle, and there is even a 5mm sticker on the rim that states as much. As for the hub, does your hub have the machined area close to the wheel side (which I believe means it's been modded for 11 speed)?. I have the 11 speed mod and it came with a spacer for 10. The spacer is 1.8mm and has some indentations that go down to about 1.12. I'm assuming that is to accommodate rivets or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Who has the link to the far sports store? The link on then the website seems to be bad and directs you to a xxx page.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

nickf

by nickf

I can get to the homepage. The "shop" link is the bad link.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The shop link leads to: http://www.wheelsfar.com/ which is the same company.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jockalldrick

by jockalldrick

I ordered 38mm disc wheels from them for my cx bike
They made me promise to not use them for cross
But other than that they've been perfect
Mixed bags

trychle

by trychle

Juan, did you resolve your brake-adjustment problem?
I have exactly the same issue..

pushstart

by pushstart

You can get the 10-speed spacer from any local bike store.

jockalldrick

by jockalldrick

In fact, often a cassette comes with one
New wheels certainly do
Seems like such a tiny and almost pointless little thing, but should do the trick

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

@Juanmoretime
PM me with your address and I'll send you one of mine.

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

Just a feedback on an experience with Far Sports wheels from a Brazilian user:

I got my box from China to Brazil in 1 week, which was great. Also, great packing with very organized box contents including a full bubble plastic wraping around the wheels.
The wheels look very good and the weight was 1.290g (40g less than promissed) for my 50mm clilncher pair.
I've been using them for more than 2 months. They are light, spin smoothly and accelerate fast. Very stiff as well, giving me a safe impression climbing, sprinting and riding through poorly paved roads (well, at least for a carbon wheel).
Also, very good build since both rear and front are very centered and properly trued.

My only complaint is braking. Rear wheel is just right, but front was weird from day 1- at first, I thought the rim braking surface was uneven, causing a certain part to brake "harder" than the rest of the circunference (uneven friction). As this issue did not decrease over time, I checked again and perceived a significant bump on the right side of front rim. The bump is so significant that you can feel by running your finger through it. It makes the brake pads to touch the rim unevenly. Result is a right brake pad worned out prematurely and a huge "shaking" when braking at speed higher than 20mph. I feel very unsecure and I'm afraid it damages my headset or fork steerer.

Of course I contacted Far Sports, sent a few pictures and vidoes of the braking issue in action, and after a while they replied me saying they would send me a new front rim.
I got happy with their response, but I'm still waiting for the new rim to be shipped.
I've been talking to Smart, who has been very kind.
I will let you know when I get news - hopefully soon!

If they send me a new rim as promissed I'm thinking about getting a new pair for my other bike.
<><

liam7020

by liam7020

Do all of these Farsports carbon clinchers require the brake pad to be set 5mm lower down the braking track? I'm looking at a pair of these 50mm cx wheels, only for road use, which appear to be slightly heavier than some of the other models they offer.

http://www.farsports.cn/product/detail.php/id-133.html
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

pushstart

by pushstart

That model (50x24) does run brake lower, yes. Wasn't a problem for my Rival brakes, but I know not all frames/forks are the same. In general I like those wheels for road use (which is how I use them). Nice width and I don't find them too heavy for climbing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Okay, so the spec for the rims is 5mm below edge of rim, and the set of 50mm I just bought has a sticker saying something like "brake pads below red line" and the sticker has a red line on it. I put the 50mm front wheel in my fork (which was set up for my FarSports 38mms) and the brake pads were right about on the red line. The sticker is not 100% accurate in it's placement though, because it is affixed to the rim slightly below the top edge of the wheel. When I installed my 38s (which seem to be exactly the same OD as the 50s), I moved the pads that they supplied as low as I could get them without going below the brake track. It seemed close enough to 5mm, and I didn't measure with calipers. The 38s have braked flawlessly, and I have noticed no problems with the setup. I'm going to run the 50s set up the same way, because I do not want to brake below the brake track, and I don't want to tilt the pads and cause a higher stress concentration area.
So...
If far_sports_brake_pad_width_in_mm + 5 > far_sports_brake_track_width_in_mm then do_what?