Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@simnorm
The brake track: Yeah, that's fine.
Keep riding.

The area below the brake track: is that the lighting or is it actually bubbling up?
If lighting: keep riding
If actually bubbling up: inquire w/ FarSports.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

simnorm

by simnorm

It's bubbling up, it's obviously an issue and I wrote to Kyle at farsports. It's only on one side the rim. The brake track looks great, better than the one on my front wheel.

That bubble, is it safe to ride? I don't know

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

perwjensen

by perwjensen

I'm no expert on this, and especially judging from a picture is not great. However, in that area of the bubble they put down a finishing layer (i.e. 3k, matte, glossy), and the bubble could be just that finishng layer that has no structural effect on the rim. Just my thoughts.

If the bubble goes from deep, then put a new rim on it. At ~280USD that's not too bad comparing to $3K for brands.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I have a pair of Farsports 28mm x56mm rims and one of them developed a rattle after 6 months. It appears to be some resin that broke off inside the rim. Farsports is replacing the rim for me. I still have to pay shipping. I actually order two new rims for another bike so the shipping of the replacement rim is only $15. Once I knew I was getting a new rim I tried to get the piece out but only made it worse. I broke the piece in two and now the rattle is even worse. Once the new rim gets here I may try more drastic measures to get it out. If that doesn't work I may just cut up the rim to see how it's made.

simnorm

by simnorm

perwjensen wrote:...the bubble could be just that finishng layer that has no structural effect on the rim. Just my thoughts.

If the bubble goes from deep, then put a new rim on it. At ~280USD that's not too bad comparing to $3K for brands.

I'm pretty sure it's just the top/finishing layer, but just how many layers are there in that area? Judging but cut-out picture of rims that I've seen not that many, so it could be structural too. The rim is still under their 18 month warranty, I've ridden just 1000km with those wheels since getting them last summer.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

my 25mm x 38mm rim started to delaminate aound the brake tracks after like 200 miles, the QC of these carbon rims left much to be desired. Seems the epoxy did not cure well. On the brighter side, the powerway/ bitex hubs are very durable with good quality enduro bearings. Next time I would order some extra rims to save some shipping cost

perwjensen

by perwjensen

simnorm wrote:
perwjensen wrote:...the bubble could be just that finishng layer that has no structural effect on the rim. Just my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure it's just the top/finishing layer, but just how many layers are there in that area? Judging but cut-out picture of rims that I've seen not that many, so it could be structural too. The rim is still under their 18 month warranty, I've ridden just 1000km with those wheels since getting them last summer.

If you press you fingers against the bubbled area is the Loose layer flexing very easily or can you feel the sub-layer being more flexible now with the delam? That's what I what do to judge the problem. If in doubt change it, since no-one should try to save less than $300USD against safety.

simnorm

by simnorm

The bubble is flexing easily if I push with my fingernail. The other layers underneath are still firm, the problem is that I have no idea how many layers there are or if the structural integrity of the rim is affected.

Here's a video of a much smaller bubble that is also on my rim. The loose layer is flexing the same way on the large bubble.
https://youtu.be/JzgGiwyz-6k

I heard back from Kyle and already paid the shipping for the replacement rim. As always, Kyle answers all concerns and questions super fast. I will be getting the new 23mm U shape rim with the 4deg brake track.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

simnorm wrote:I heard back from Kyle and already paid the shipping for the replacement rim. As always, Kyle answers all concerns and questions super fast. I will be getting the new 23mm U shape rim with the 4deg brake track.

Please take a bandsaw to the rim after you've replaced it and video the whole thing.
IMHO you should replace the nipples when you replace the rims assuming they are alloy and not brass.
D

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

What's a "4deg" brake track?

I'd also replace the nipples. The rim may also have a different ERD requiring new spokes.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The brake track is angled in at 4 degrees.

This is what HED has been doing (and patented) on their wheels. It is also the same patent which Specialized uses on their wheels making them 'fast'.

I'm running 23mmx38s and have been very, very, very, very happy with them!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

simnorm

by simnorm

The new rim is supposed to have the same ERD, Kyle told me I could reuse the spokes. Why do you guys suggest that I replace the nipples?

addict

by addict

Recently bought this set:
https://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclocross/30 ... elset.html

at 500km everything good :)
made minimal spoke truing, relube ratchets for right sound, mount 30-622 schwalbe s-one tubeless.
weight exactly 1500gr as stated :thumbup:

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

ive had 2 pairs so far, a base pair (bitex, standard spokes, etc) of 30x23 clincher, and more expensive (dt240s, etc) 50x23 clincher

+both supposed to be made-to-order at 1-month but actually arrived <2 weeks to EU. superb delivery speed.
+50mm pair listed at 1430, comes in at 1500
-30mm pair listed at 1355, comes in at 1510, disappointingly. (weight deducted tube and tires... will make precise raw measurements later... front seems heavy)
+both perfectly trued and round, and have stayed that way at 1000km
~braking is bad-to-acceptable with FSE pads, and acceptable-to-good with Swissstop pads
~no problems about heat warp, but also no worries since i ride hills with 3km 6-8% as typical rollers
+loved that they came with solid rim bed options... makes tubeless setup a cinch.

will probably order a set with disc hubs for the CX bike when bad weather comes around...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simnorm

by simnorm

simnorm wrote:The bubble is flexing easily if I push with my fingernail. The other layers underneath are still firm, the problem is that I have no idea how many layers there are or if the structural integrity of the rim is affected.

Here's a video of a much smaller bubble that is also on my rim. The loose layer is flexing the same way on the large bubble.
https://youtu.be/JzgGiwyz-6k

I heard back from Kyle and already paid the shipping for the replacement rim. As always, Kyle answers all concerns and questions super fast. I will be getting the new 23mm U shape rim with the 4deg brake track.

Here's an update on my post.
The problem hasn't gotten any worst, but I've only ridden 500km and descended 5000m in July. Earlier this week I received my replacement rim from Kyle. I have the 50x23mm U shape tubeless compatible rim, the replacement rim is their new version. Finish is quite nice, here are some close up pics.

https://db.tt/isH3wOtt
https://db.tt/UFwScRm4
https://db.tt/kGfEe1ld
https://db.tt/HvsTjdLb

One difference is the top layer of UD carbon looks like one sheet of carbon, not laminated every 12inch like the older rim. I'm debating what to do with the new rim, I'm looking for a powertap with 28h.