HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 69  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:03 pm 

Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:03 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:03 pm 

eric wrote:
Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.

Extraordinary, thank you!

The advertised ERD was 564 mm and I measured 568 mm with high precision (three measurements of each wheel, front and rear). It could be that the specifications for the rims (again, 25 mm wide, 38 mm deep carbon clinchers) changed slightly, as they are a new model. Regardless, the precision of the measurements is encouraging--and should allow me to order spokes with confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 am 

I've been riding my set of 50mm Farsports Tubular wheels for more than a year now and I love them. I now want to pick up a set of carbon clinchers from Farsports now to replace my aluminum training wheelset. It'd be nice to be able to switch wheels and not have to worry about switching brake pads as well.

I'm looking at Farsports 24mm deep clincher rim and I'm wondering if it'll be too flexy as a wheelset for longer training rides. I weigh 137lbs so I'm fairly light. I just know that my current training wheelset (Kinlin xr200 rims) feels a lot more flexy compared to my 50mm tubs.

These are the farsports 24mm rims:

They are 20/24 spokes. I'm sure they'd be fine in normal riding but am I going to feel these things move side to side in a strong sprint?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm 

WheelTester wrote:
I took a dive and ordered the 2014 38mm clincher wheels(1250g +/-30g),23mm wide. I went with the Ed Hub Ceramics and CX Ray spokes. I worked with Kyle and I have to say he was very responsive and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. I will post up a review once I receive them.

Cheers~

Hey guys, I got my wheels last week. I am very happy as they look to be in great shape. The set weighed in at 1229 grams! Well under the estimated 1250 grams. I have put two layers of Stans yellow tape on the wheels and I am waiting for my new tubeless tyres to come in before I take them for a spin. I will be mounting a set of Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm tyres to them. I will update once I get a few rides in.

I also ordered two bottle cages from them... they are super light!

Cheers~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:50 pm 

Method01 wrote:
Does somebody has experience with using tubeless tyres on the Farsports wheels? I assume I need a special rimstrip to make it airproof or..?

I am using two layers of Stans yellow tape with tubeless tyres.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:22 pm 

I don't per se have experience with them, buy with Zipp Firecrest rims it's two layers of Stan's tape of the wider, 25mm (mountain bike) variety. The narrower tape may not work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 pm 

I used the Stans 21mm tape on my FarSports 23mm rim.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 am 

Yup two layers of Stans. My 24x50 rims were very difficult to seat tubeless -- tire was very loose on the rims.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am 

Hi

Have also used 2 layers of the yellow Stans tape on my CN38 wheels. No prods with Hutchinson Atom Galactic tires or Fusions so nice ....
Mounting these tires on the new C24 Dura ace 9000 wheels was a hell I did not had anny succes in installing them on the shitmano rims even with lots of Stans milk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:43 am 

WheelTester wrote:
So I have tried contacting Far Sports 3 times over the last 1 1/2 weeks with a few questions about their wheels and I can't get anyone to respond. What is the trick to get them to respond? I have used the "contact us" form on the website, I have emailed sales3@farsports.cn and I have emailed Mae at mae3116@hotmail.com. Are they on holiday or something???

Maybe someone here can answer my questions...
- Do they make a different rim for tubeless tyre vs. non-tubeless tyre or are they both the same?
- Can they make spoke count 18 front with a 20 or 24 rear wheelset?
- Do they ship your wheels with Titanium skews or do I need to purchase them separately?

I have purchased wheels from Yeoleo in the past and they always respond to my emails within 24 hours. Far Sports lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them.

Cheers~

They are having some type of Holiday going on until the 1st-2nd week of Feb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:55 am 

Chinese New year

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 am 

ChanceG wrote:
They are having some type of Holiday going on until the 1st-2nd week of Feb

Um, Lunar New Year. And "they" includes many in (and from) China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam . . . so like billions of people.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 am 

The level of ignorance to other cultures, their holidays and practices is absolutely astounding.

For a second I had to check to see if I was somehow reading this - on the internet, no less - in 1943. But no, it's 2014 in the generally accepted Christian Calendar (which is also the least accurate of the major calendars across the globe) and there are people like this. Wow.

"lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them" and "some type of Holiday going on" ??

FYI - unlike the Christian New Year, many other new year celebrations in other cultures are not restricted to one day. The holidays last for weeks and they are quite frankly the most important holiday of the entire year. You have the power of the internet at your disposal, do some research and learn about other cultures. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:27 am 

prendrefeu wrote:
The level of ignorance to other cultures, their holidays and practices is absolutely astounding.

For a second I had to check to see if I was somehow reading this - on the internet, no less - in 1943. But no, it's 2014 in the generally accepted Christian Calendar (which is also the least accurate of the major calendars across the globe) and there are people like this. Wow.

"lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them" and "some type of Holiday going on" ??

FYI - unlike the Christian New Year, many other new year celebrations in other cultures are not restricted to one day. The holidays last for weeks and they are quite frankly the most important holiday of the entire year. You have the power of the internet at your disposal, do some research and learn about other cultures. :)

WOW - Ignorance is also not reading the original quote... if you would have read it you would have seen my post was on Jan 13th, nowhere near the Chinese New Year! You would also have read that I have since purchased from them and have had my wheels delivered. I am a happy customer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 am 

Anyone have experience with red veloplugs? They look like they might be a tight squeeze! !

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 69  Next