Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
eric
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California, USA
Contact:

by eric

Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.

by Weenie


crimsonbadger
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 am

by crimsonbadger

eric wrote:Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.


Extraordinary, thank you!

The advertised ERD was 564 mm and I measured 568 mm with high precision (three measurements of each wheel, front and rear). It could be that the specifications for the rims (again, 25 mm wide, 38 mm deep carbon clinchers) changed slightly, as they are a new model. Regardless, the precision of the measurements is encouraging--and should allow me to order spokes with confidence.

syncmaster
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 pm

by syncmaster

I've been riding my set of 50mm Farsports Tubular wheels for more than a year now and I love them. I now want to pick up a set of carbon clinchers from Farsports now to replace my aluminum training wheelset. It'd be nice to be able to switch wheels and not have to worry about switching brake pads as well.

I'm looking at Farsports 24mm deep clincher rim and I'm wondering if it'll be too flexy as a wheelset for longer training rides. I weigh 137lbs so I'm fairly light. I just know that my current training wheelset (Kinlin xr200 rims) feels a lot more flexy compared to my 50mm tubs.

These are the farsports 24mm rims:
Image

They are 20/24 spokes. I'm sure they'd be fine in normal riding but am I going to feel these things move side to side in a strong sprint?

Thanks

WheelTester
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

by WheelTester

WheelTester wrote:I took a dive and ordered the 2014 38mm clincher wheels(1250g +/-30g),23mm wide. I went with the Ed Hub Ceramics and CX Ray spokes. I worked with Kyle and I have to say he was very responsive and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. I will post up a review once I receive them.

Cheers~

Hey guys, I got my wheels last week. I am very happy as they look to be in great shape. The set weighed in at 1229 grams! Well under the estimated 1250 grams. I have put two layers of Stans yellow tape on the wheels and I am waiting for my new tubeless tyres to come in before I take them for a spin. I will be mounting a set of Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm tyres to them. I will update once I get a few rides in.

I also ordered two bottle cages from them... they are super light!

Cheers~

WheelTester
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

by WheelTester

Method01 wrote:Does somebody has experience with using tubeless tyres on the Farsports wheels? I assume I need a special rimstrip to make it airproof or..?

I am using two layers of Stans yellow tape with tubeless tyres.

FIJIGabe
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

I don't per se have experience with them, buy with Zipp Firecrest rims it's two layers of Stan's tape of the wider, 25mm (mountain bike) variety. The narrower tape may not work.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

WheelTester
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

by WheelTester

I used the Stans 21mm tape on my FarSports 23mm rim.

pushstart
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:12 am

by pushstart

Yup two layers of Stans. My 24x50 rims were very difficult to seat tubeless -- tire was very loose on the rims.

pcrispey
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 pm

by pcrispey

Hi

Have also used 2 layers of the yellow Stans tape on my CN38 wheels. No prods with Hutchinson Atom Galactic tires or Fusions so nice ....
Mounting these tires on the new C24 Dura ace 9000 wheels was a hell I did not had anny succes in installing them on the shitmano rims even with lots of Stans milk.

ChanceG
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

by ChanceG

WheelTester wrote:So I have tried contacting Far Sports 3 times over the last 1 1/2 weeks with a few questions about their wheels and I can't get anyone to respond. What is the trick to get them to respond? I have used the "contact us" form on the website, I have emailed sales3@farsports.cn and I have emailed Mae at mae3116@hotmail.com. Are they on holiday or something???

Maybe someone here can answer my questions...
- Do they make a different rim for tubeless tyre vs. non-tubeless tyre or are they both the same?
- Can they make spoke count 18 front with a 20 or 24 rear wheelset?
- Do they ship your wheels with Titanium skews or do I need to purchase them separately?

I have purchased wheels from Yeoleo in the past and they always respond to my emails within 24 hours. Far Sports lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them.

Cheers~


They are having some type of Holiday going on until the 1st-2nd week of Feb

oreoboreo
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Aloha, Oregon/ Poipu, Kauai Hawaii

by oreoboreo

Chinese New year
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

crimsonbadger
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 am

by crimsonbadger

ChanceG wrote:They are having some type of Holiday going on until the 1st-2nd week of Feb



Um, Lunar New Year. And "they" includes many in (and from) China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam . . . so like billions of people.

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8577
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

The level of ignorance to other cultures, their holidays and practices is absolutely astounding.

For a second I had to check to see if I was somehow reading this - on the internet, no less - in 1943. But no, it's 2014 in the generally accepted Christian Calendar (which is also the least accurate of the major calendars across the globe) and there are people like this. Wow.

"lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them" and "some type of Holiday going on" ??

FYI - unlike the Christian New Year, many other new year celebrations in other cultures are not restricted to one day. The holidays last for weeks and they are quite frankly the most important holiday of the entire year. You have the power of the internet at your disposal, do some research and learn about other cultures. :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

WheelTester
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

by WheelTester

prendrefeu wrote:The level of ignorance to other cultures, their holidays and practices is absolutely astounding.

For a second I had to check to see if I was somehow reading this - on the internet, no less - in 1943. But no, it's 2014 in the generally accepted Christian Calendar (which is also the least accurate of the major calendars across the globe) and there are people like this. Wow.

"lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them" and "some type of Holiday going on" ??

FYI - unlike the Christian New Year, many other new year celebrations in other cultures are not restricted to one day. The holidays last for weeks and they are quite frankly the most important holiday of the entire year. You have the power of the internet at your disposal, do some research and learn about other cultures. :)


WOW - Ignorance is also not reading the original quote... if you would have read it you would have seen my post was on Jan 13th, nowhere near the Chinese New Year! You would also have read that I have since purchased from them and have had my wheels delivered. I am a happy customer.

scotty
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 pm

by scotty

Anyone have experience with red veloplugs? They look like they might be a tight squeeze! !

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post