Super cheap, super light brakeset....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Snipped ebay link...

$99 and weighs 235g! Not bad, right? I feel stupid for having bought SRAM Red.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please no ebay links. Thanks. PP
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I bought a set of Planet-X CNC Ultralight brakes which are real similar to these. They have titanium bits compared to those you posted, and they weigh about 205gms. $149.

Took about an hour to intall them and figure out how to get them adjusted. But once I got that figured out, they are very nice and do the job.

Brake pressure required is a bit higher compared to my Ultegra 6700s I had on there, but the bike stops just fine, never worried about that.

http://planet-x-usa.com/pCNC%20ULTRALIG ... rakes.aspx

Plus they have a variety of colors. I just went with the black since my bike is read/white/black.

I won't waste money on any big name brands for brakes again when these are lighter, and at least half the price.

If I was going to spend $300, I would buy the KCNC ultralight brakes which are around 170gms and a little better feature wise for setup/wheel removal/swap out speed. Wouldn't buy the SRAM Red or DuraAce in that range, and they are heavier also.

by Weenie

revgilliam

by revgilliam

LOVE my Planet-x brakes. 205 grams for only $150 dollars. I'm a big guy at 210 pounds and they stop me just fine.

skouri1

by skouri1

Red brakes are very nice, so don't feel stupid.
I had a set of Negative Gsl brakes, which had terrific stopping power, but I decided the set up and quick release were too much of a pain and went back to SRAM force. perfectly happy with them.

JensW

by JensW

StuTheWeak wrote:Snipped the link...

$99 and weighs 235g! Not bad, right? I feel stupid for having bought SRAM Red.

looks like the one that planet-x forged brakeset they are selling :D have there cnc version, that you get for $150 dollars, and then you also get really light skewers ore yellow swissStop
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun May 22, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please no ebay links. Thanks. PP

nooski

by nooski

Same as Planet X forged version. Recently I've bought their CNC version (with Token brake pads for carbon) and it brakes even better than Chorus non-skeleton brakes with yellow Swissstop pads. Personally I don't like strong spring but it's no big deal.
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

Vinnems

by Vinnems

See what I did there?
Current brakes on my bike (old set of Dia Compe) weight 355 gram for the pair. Been trying to find a pair less than 300 grams, preferably less than 250 grams actually. I've been looking at KCNC, TRP, and others but they are incredibly expensive. Any recommendations in the $100 dollar range? No carbon, metal of some sort. Thanks!

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Planet X CNC, about $100 if I recall correctly.
--Max.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

$120 USD when they're on sale.
The Planet-X-USA site is cheaper than the Planet-X UK site if you are living in North America. Otherwise the UK site is ideal... but their prices are higher ($149?)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

prendrefeu wrote:$120 USD when they're on sale.
The Planet-X-USA site is cheaper than the Planet-X UK site if you are living in North America. Otherwise the UK site is ideal... but their prices are higher ($149?)

You are doing it wrong

enter currency and country and ..................$90

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCPXFOR/planet_x_ultra_light_forged_brake_calipers
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Those are the forged brakes....CNC are lighter

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

And you're reading it wrong.

Forged does not equal CNC.

The CNC is much lighter.

Edit: B beat me to the reply! :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Vinnems

by Vinnems

Thanks a bunch guys! The forged ones have the perfect look and perfect weight for my bike!

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

I've been running the Planet X CNC versions and found them to be awful. I have swapped them out for Ultegra 6800 which out the box were setup perfectly.

The Planet X I had to adjust every ride and even mid ride as they never stayed central and would rub. Very very fiddly to setup.

I wouldn't recommend.

by Weenie